• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Bless the Beasts and Children- 1991 Karoke Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I've had noticed this for a long time and never got around to posting it but...

After listening to the 1991 Karoke remix of Bless the Beasts and the Children, I have come to the conclusion that it is sped up or a tone higher or something. I am not really technical so I don't know how to describe it.

At first, I thought it was just me, but than I did a side by side comparison and I could definitely hear the difference.

Thought you guys might like to know.

I've just done a comparison of four different versions of "Bless the Beasts" (1972 original, 1985 remix, 1991 karaoke mix and 1991 remix), and they're all in the same key.

If anything, the original album version is maybe four or five cents sharp of the remix (a cent is 1/100 of a half-step). This would be a variation in tape speed of about 4-5%, which makes sense in that the original album version of the song clocks in a couple of seconds shorter than the remix. This is such a minor difference that it most likely is explained by very minor variations in the playback speed of the equipment on which the songs were mastered for CD -- not an intentional thing.

But all versions are definitely in the same key.

There is a key change at the end of the song -- it modulates up at around 2:37. So if you listen to the end of one version followed by the beginning of another version, it won't be in the same key. Maybe that's what you're hearing.

David

David, I am sorry but I disagree with you. I compared the Karoke mix to the 1991 remix and the Karoke mix is a different key. It almost sounds like it is faster, kinda sped up like the 45 version but not as much.

Does anybody else think anything different?

I have the one shown in Yuko's link. Got it a few years back. There are alot of neat things about listening to this CD, primarily for me it was being able to listen to the arrangements without alot of the vocals gives the listener a true sense of all the "work" that Richard really put into each track & what a gifted person he really is in the music field. The other is some of the backing vocal's especially Karen's with the oohhs & aahhhs are just plain fantastic to hear, sometimes you will hear something just pop out at you on the Karaoke mix.

...who survived yet another Hurricane, this time w/ power intact....

Andrew

I agree with David, I have compared them all with the karaoke master version and they all sound exactly the same in terms of key.

Sorry I couldn't shed any more light.

Stephen

I am not calling ya'll stupid at all. I want to get that point across.

Could I have a different disc or something? Could mine have come from a different pressing? Would that make a difference?

Mine is the 2 CD set titled Best of Best instead of the single CD Yesterday Once More.

Yuka wrote:
Both version looks identical as they share the same cover artwork.

But even she is not aware of one slight difference:one more blur added in the background with flowers all over.

A good friend of mine has this later version and pointed it out. You wouldn't know it with one look at it.

I too hope they will release it again someday.

I just did a quick comparison between the karaoke version on my single-disc version of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, CARPENTERS ORIGINAL MASTER KARAOKE (POCM-1521) and two different regular versions.

The karaoke version sounds to me to be identical in key to the version on the Remastered Classics version of A SONG FOR YOU. The MSFL Gold-disc version of A SONG FOR YOU (which contains the remixed version) sounds just a shade slower to me.

When I synched the karaoke version up with the original album version, they remained in synch all the way. But the karaoke version finished first when compared with the remix on the MSFL disc.

I don't have the BEST OF THE BEST version of the karaoke album to compare. Perhaps it's different. For now, we'll take Andrew at his word that it is until someone else can confirm or deny it.

Harry
...who sounds just awful trying to sing Karen's lead, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom