• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Bob Edmondson - Good or Great Trombone player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, in my opinion, trombone players are VERY underrated... I thought Edmondson was a GREAT addition to the TjB... I mean, TWO trumpets, NO saxes, but at least ONE trombone...

And when I was a kid, I used to want to play one, too! (In fact, I used to think THAT was a "Trumpet"!) :laugh:

Hoping we're "serious" about THIS topic, and that IT will stay...

Dave

Being a trombone player myself, studying the classical technique seriously at the Oslo music conservatory in the early eighties, I never really thought of Bob Edmonson as a great trombone player. But then in the TJB, he rarely really got the chance to show off, did he? All of the Tijuana Brass were supposed to blend in with Herb, and Bob Edmonson did just that in an excellent way. He sounds a little bit like Herb playing trombone at times, and he appears to play bass trombone on some tracks and that sounds very good. His solo on "Getting sentimental over you" (given that that is him playing) is superb and shows a great versatility, as a player.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

Wasn't Bob Edmonson a Si Zentner alumnus?

Oops, hope that is not something that will get this thread locked.

Well, when I heard the original TJB in concert for the first time back in 1968, Bob Edmondson played a trombone solo as the intro to I'm Getting Sentimental Over You. They did a slow intro with Bob playing the song as Tommy Dorsey had originally intended the song to be - a ballad. Herb did some talking while Bob played. Then they went into the up tempo TJB arrangement, and ended it with Bob playing the solo again in ballad time - just like the beginning.

I seem to remember that Bob had beautiful tone and great control. I'm sure Tommy Dorsey would have been proud.

Let me just add that I think all the sidemen that Herb used in his concert groups were outstanding professional players on whatever the instrument. He surrounded himself with players of very high caliber, both in the studio and in live performance. Anyone who has ever heard the concerts will know that these guys could really play their instruments extremely well.

All the TJB sidemen were considered to be among the cream-of-the-crop of musicians in their era. They were paid top dollar, reportedly being the highest-paid for their services. Bob HAD to be one of the best. All the TJBers were.

I'm glad this thread showed up...I really don't know a lot about a lot of the rest of the group.

Dan

The two that really stand out to me were Nick Ceroli and John Pisano. I think these two players were extremely good - among the best. Both were masters of their instruments.

Captaindave said:
...Herb surrounded himself with players of very high caliber, both in the studio and in live performance... ...these guys could really play their instruments extremely well...

Yes, I frequently see a lot of big names on the Solo Herb Alpert recordings, too! Though not "all on ONE LP", either...

I'm sure Herb was just as proud to have had them as they were to have played on a Herb Alpert Recording... It must have been a real honor!

But amongst the "looseness" of the TjB, there was solid-musicianship, among all!

Dave

I agree with everything that has been said in this thread so far e.g. sidemen being the cream of the crop but I would like to add a personal note about Bob. I saw the TJB in Pittsburgh around 1970. I happened to be staying in the same hotel (Chatham Center) as the TJB. I was a HUGE FAN even back then. Anyway, I ran into Bob E. and Lou Pagani in the hotel lobby and asked for their autograph and to pose for a photo. Lou seemed a bit 'put off' with the whole thing (I really can't blame him......it must be tiring being hounded by autograph seekers). Anyway Bob was really nice about it. He chatted and joked around with my girlfriend and me for about 5 mins, gave a huge smile for the camera, and was genuinely a really nice guy. It's funny how this thread brought back these 35 yr. old memories. Thanks Bob for taking the time to meet with a skinny 18 yr. old kid!!

Captaindave said:
The two that really stand out to me were Nick Ceroli and John Pisano. I think these two players were extremely good - among the best. Both were masters of their instruments.

Pat Senatore was in Kenton's big band for awhile, too.

In the Baja Marimba Band, same deal with the top-notch musicians: I know Dave Wells was a member of the Don Ellis Orchestra. The BMB was a musical cakewalk in comparison! :D

Bob Edmondon played with the Harry James band in the 50's and Harry only hired top notch for his band. Regarding the BMB sideman trumpet player Lee Katzman was a very highly regarded jazz trumpeter (played for Les Brown among many others).

These factoids about Bob Edmondson and others among Herb's sidemen are fascinating. I wish someone who knows the facts about each of them—Edmondson, Pisano, Senatore, and the rest—would compile those professional histories for the rest of us.

An amateur trombonist myself—who played lead and support along with TJB records when I was a kid, trying to learn my way around the horn—I have always loved the Edmondson sound: full, rich, and versatile. His "Getting Sentimental' break is just plain joyous. His lead on "It was a Very Good Year" melts in your ear.

Greetings to all A&Mers. I've enjoyed this thread a whole lot. Bob Endmondson is a fabulous trombone player. I love his sound on "Cabaret", as well as on "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You". I've always had a doubt, and perhaps someone here can clarify for me. There is a famous trombone player with big-bands named Bob Envoldson. He would not be Bob Edmondson would he? (Perhaps changed his name to sound more anglo or whatever?) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've always loved how Mr. Alpert always did the second trumpet with his lead. (Whether it was harmony or unison) But on his single projects I always missed the low brass back up. In my opinion the trombone highlighted his soloing. In a live performance...a trumpet, trombone, and sax would definitly complement his ensemble. Later amigos...Jay

JM/JO: In a live performance...a trumpet, trombone, and sax would definitly complement his ensemble.

Next month we'll enjoy the reissue of WC&OD, many of whose tracks are filled with sax—alto, tenor, and baritone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom