• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Buddy Emmons Comments re: R&K

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringves

I recently purchased a Buddy Emmons tribute cd.

I searched for information about his pedal steel guitar work on "Top of the World" and discovered a few comments he made about R & K on the Steel Guitar Forum. Here's what he had to say:

posted 11 December 2000 05:28 AM Buddy Emmons
posted 08 March 2000 07:57 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For some that aren't familiar, Red [Rhodes] played the intro (middle?) and ending to "On Top Of The World" and I played some fills. I was impressed by how Richard Carpenter had the entire song structured in his head. He wanted specific licks in certain areas, and to make sure he got what he wanted from me, he played them to me on the keyboard. I believe the entrance to my fill section was a Ralph Mooney type lick, which was Richard's idea and what I thought was quite a tribute to Ralph.

Richard was the genius behind the Carpenter sound, and by the time I left the studio, I knew why so many Carpenter recordings were as close to perfection as you can get. Of course it didn't hurt to have one of the finest and truest female voices I've ever heard.

One other comment - In general, I'll listen to the comments of a professional musician any day of the week over a self-appointed music critic. Funny isn't it, how so many musicians will express admiration for the C's, but those music critics ...

One other comment - In general, I'll listen to the comments of a professional musician any day of the week over a self-appointed music critic. Funny isn't it, how so many musicians will express admiration for the C's, but those music critics ...

The musicians are looking at it thru musician eyes and the musicality of it, critics are including the factor of 'coolness' in their judgments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom