• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Budokan Backdrop

Which style do you like best?

• Budokan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Contour

• None- they're all terrible

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGW

So a few months back, when I was looking for anything to do but the homework I should have been doing, I sketched these out. I've always dug the groovy flowing stripes built into the backdrop at the Budokan ('74) concert. Ever since I first saw them, I've wanted to make a wall mounted model/sign. The highlighter stripes represent where I'd route clusters of LEDs (for a chasing sequence), though I could easily run EL wire (think flexible neon) for a continuous band. I was thinking a black background with a white backlit Carpenters logo surrounded by the lights. This would be made from laser cut acrylic mounted in a wooden shadowbox.

These drawings are crude, I apologize. I no longer have access to all the drafting programs I used to in high school, so until I either buy Corel or find someone up here with it, I'm stuck doing it the old school way. (Which I have no talent at- my sisters stole all of the artistic ability genes!)

I'd love your input. Do you like the idea or is it harebrained? Don't hold back if you think it's stupid. I'm also more than receptive to additional ideas. I've nicknamed the little rough drawings so you can vote. I don't like the "contour" design, I don't know why I drew it. But I did, and perhaps someone may like it, so I elected to post it anyway.

#1. "Budokan Style"
WP_002119.jpg

#2. "River Style"
WP_002118.jpg

#3. "Meteor Style"
WP_002117.jpg

#4. "Contour Style"
WP_002120.jpg

My apologies. Thanks for letting me know as I wouldn't have otherwise, I can see them fine. How about now?

#1. Budokan
WP_002119.jpg

#2. River
WP_002118.jpg

#3. Meteor
WP_002117.jpg

#4. Contour
WP_002120.jpg

(#2) "River" got my vote...!

I think A METEOR seems to have been what "Meteor" (#3) got hit by! Though I do like the additional colors--it just seems like the beloved logo just got buried...

"Contour" (#4) would have been my 1st choice, but it caves too deeply into the logo, so I made it what would be 2nd...

And who made the (#1) "Budokan" design? The lineage looks sloppy & the ink, rather weak! I think my 4-year-old might'a put that artist to shame!!!!

-- Dave

Reactions: BGW
Dave, thanks for the input. I get what you're saying about "meteor style" being too busy. Maybe I should redraw the "contour" one with milder curvature to see what it looks like.

The "Budokan" style was intentional- the blending lines represent both the clashing of and divisions between the American castes and the injustice of society. The shape visualizes the fleeting nature of life and blah blah blah. :unhunh: I enjoy making up fake meanings for "modern art" pieces. That "Bukokan" sketch could be worth millions! :laugh:

Nah, I'm just terrible at drawing things. Looking at these, I should have evened up the thickness of the lines so they all match. The thicker lines look better in the sketches (to me).

I am starting to have a change of heart about "Meteor", BGW: The many colors are growing on me, as in a rainbow...

I just thought the one I picked looked neatest & kept a bit of integrity, if there was a noticed plainness up at the top... But "Meteor" does fill in some needed design-work, albeit the logo looking just too "Whirlpooled"...! :uhhuh:

-- Dave

Reactions: BGW
It is pretty busy, isn't it? I think with some tweaking it could be fixed. I added the extra colors to try to take the place of the rainbow pattern on the Carpenters logo, which I didn't care for as much. I suppose I'll just wait until I can draft what these would actually look like, and check back then. Again, thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom