• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Burt Bacharach in Knoxville

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
As he completed a cell phone call while standing near a church, a distinguished looking jogger with white hair and holding a water bottle was graced with the site of five guys carrying album covers and sharpies. His reaction was priceless and the evening that followed memorable.

"I'm used to being approached by beautiful women, not middle aged professionals conversant in record company catalog numbers," said Mr. Burt Bacharach. Patiently listening to my explanation that while my copies of the album BURT BACHARACH appeared alike, they were really 'SPX 4290 and SP 3501' he replied "I can't tell the difference."

Then he sent us on a scavenger hunt. "I'm really proud of this new record (HERE I AM) with Ron Isley, and you guys need to go get a copy. Bring it backstage tonight and I'll sign it." We were off to the Disc Exchange and a celebratory brew.

At around 9 p.m. Mr. Bacharach stepped onto the stage and was seated in front of a grand piano with a small organ behind him. He played both and conducted simultaneously, launching into a segment of "What the World Needs Now." The remainder of the set follows:

Medley: Don't Make Me Over/ Walk on By/ Reach Out/ This Guy's in love with You/ I Say a Little Prayer/ Trains & Boats & Planes/ 24 Hours from Tulsa/ Wishin' and Hopin'/ Always Something There to Remind Me

One Less Bell to Answer
You'll Never Get to Heaven
I'll Never Fall in Love Again
Bond Street (BB on organ)
Message to Michael
Blue on Blue/ Only Love Can Break a Heart/ Do you know the Way to San Jose?

Anyone Who Had a Heart (vocal by Josie James)
Magic Moments/ Story of My Life/ "Blob"Theme/ Tower of Strength
God Give Me Strength (John Pagano, vocal)
Close To You (Donna Taylor, vocal)
The Look of Love
The Best that You Can Do
What's New Pussycat
April Fools
Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head (audience sing-along)
Liberty Valance
I Remember You and Making Love
Wives and Lovers
Alfie (BB- vocal)
A House is Not a Home (BB- vocal)
That's What Friends are For
Windows of the World (encore - BB vocal)
What the World Needs Now
Raindrops Keep Falling Reprise

Mr. Bacharach spoke of the long climb to success as a composer and was highly complimentary of the KSO, whose arrangements were quite faithful to the LP versions.
We did get backstage to say hello, found copies of the Isley collaboration and promised to return for Saturday's show.

JB
PS: Dave W. made the trip down; I think he's glad he did

Great story, LPJim! I can just picture Burt's amazement as you guys regaled him with catalog number details!

Harry
...recalling his recent Burt encounters, online...

Yes, the trip was really worth it! The concert was great! And meeting Burt was fun! Y'all should'a been with us! :wink:

Dave

...Don't worry, Guys; He'll come back Next Year!! :)

It turned out Saturday's set list was identical to Friday's, which was OK by me.
I never get tired of hearing these songs.
Again Mr. B was effusive in his praise of our Knoxville Symphony.
That's another thing I never get tired of hearing.
We went backstage again post-concert, said our hellos and got a few more LPs signed.
Thanks to Dave's coming out to Oak Ridge to tour my 'museum,' I was able to unearth some Bacharach singles I'd forgotten were in storage.
I even remembered to bring along SOMETHING FESTIVE (19003), which contains "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle."
Most importantly, I believe Mr. B had a fun weekend in town and perhaps will honor us with a return visit soon.
And it would be super if Mr. Ron Isley would come along.
JB
---- time to come down from my cloud and post an AOTW, online

Well, Jim, I'm glad the Second Show on Saturday was the same set-list as Friday's show and was still worth seeing. I would have stayed, but I had my grueling 8 to 9 hour drive home to deal with!

And thanks again for your tour of your Room Full O' A&M's, where I got to listen to a few items I don't have. And, unfortunately, just now thought of "Things We Should Have Played". :wink:

Dave

...wondering exactly how LP Jim gets TWICE as much vinyl as I do in a SMALLER space and manages to keep it looking way NEATER than I can keep HALF the amount of stuff in my much BIGGER space...?? :o :laugh:

1) Someone else in the BB audience has posted at the "House Is Not a Homepage." I wonder if it's someone I know? He was in the center front balcony, just a few rows in front of me.

2) Album/CD storage is always a favorite topic. My steel LP shelves came from a $15 kit I bought at Walmart. The load-bearing segments are very flexible. When I move the LPs they spring from a slight bend to a straight position.
On the floor are some LPs awaiting alphabetical filing. They're away from the basement door "flood plain."
For 45s I prefer loose rows inside a cardboard box. Don't want too much pressure on them.
Those milk crates are great for CDs. Each holds 68 ( two long rows of 29 each plus 2 side rows of 5). They can be stacked as high as needed to save floor space.
I've also got some small crates from the Dollar Store. They'll hold 19 discs comfortably.
The milk crates were "appropriated" from the back of the local fruit stand.
They don't seem to mind.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom