"Can't Smile Without You"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downunder

I'm currently listenning to my A Kind of Hush CD & was wondering about the subject song.

I have a different version on an old single. The album lyric goes...I can't laugh and I can't walk I'm findin' it hard even to talk...
However the single version goes...I can't laugh and I can't sleep I don't even talk to people I meet... What I'd like to know is, was the single version ever released on any compillation? Also it has a more upbeat sax mix thru the song which I kinda like.

Regards, Steve

The single version is available on the "Singles 1974-1978" album and on the "Reflections" CD (1995) also called "Sweet Sweet Smile" (2000 - Rotation/Universal Music). The "Sweet Sweet Smile" CD is remastered.

You can actually find the 1997 "remix" of the single version on the Japanese release entitled By Request, from the year 2000. -Chris

Thanks guys, I'll hunt those CD's down. I've only just logged on so sorry it's taken a while for me to check for replies. My time zone is some 15 hours ahead of west coast USA & I'll be in dreamland when you folks are hard at it!

Cheers, Steve

If you can still find it, the single version is also on the Reader's Digest three-disc compilation from a few years back. I think the full title is "Their Greatest Hits and Performances" or something close to that.

It's a really nice set that also contains the extended, live version of the Bacharach medley that adds a couple additional songs AND all of the songs from the "Now & Then" oldies medley without the radio chatter segues. I found it for like $15 or $16 at FYE and our local one here still carried it as of a few months ago.

I never even knew there was a alternate version of "Can't Smile" until I was listening to that set and was like "whoa!! that was a different line!." It was a really cool, exciting and totally unexpected surprise!

As a point of interest, my version (vinyl) of "Singles 1974-1978" contains the "new" version of CSWY. Don't know if that's because it was a British release as opposed to others. Must give it a spin!

Yep. It's on the SINGLES 1974-1978 album too. Mine's Canadian, and it has the single version.

Harry

I also have the Canadian Version
singles7478.jpg

It almost seems like this version is more radio friendly, I just did a back to back from this Cd and the original A Kind of Hush Cd version and this one is slightly faster tempo making it seem more radio friendly. The opening instrumental is totally different between the 2.

Would this be considered a re-mix from 1978 vs the original was from 1976.

The entire opening of the song is a totally different vocal, AS WELL AS keyboard track that was edited onto a remix (and additional recording) of the entire remaining body of the song. The "big-band" section that breaks out during the solo was recorded for the release of the single.

Incidentally, the entire "single" version was remixed in 2000. -Chris

Chris,

Do you mean the single was remixed in 1997 for the 2000 Japanese 'By Request' release or that it was again remixed in 2000 and if so I don't think it's been released.

Thanks

Scott B

Ooops...my bad. Yes, I believe the actually remix of the "single" version that we're talking about took place in 1997, and was included in By Request. Hope that clears things up. -Chris

I have to admit that the remix from By Request you can tell immediately that Richard remixed it, compare it back to back to the singles 74-78 version the 97 remix is much cleaner and louder.

So Karen's vocal on the Singles and By request was recorded in 1978, is that correct? and then Richard released this verison on the singles canadian cd and then in 1997 he re-mixed this same version for By request. Do I have that correct? gosh sometimes it hard to follow all this. :laugh:

Do you think it's possible that Karen recorded both vocal versions in 1976?

I always felt that the album version always dragged or was slow for me, almost too lawrence welk slow, I like the remixed version.

I just pulled my Readers Digest set and released in 97 also contains the remix version.

Lawrence Welk was a bandleader who had a television show popular with the older set. Generally, if one is talking about slowed-down, schlocky versions of songs, one might compare it to Lawrence Welk's presentation.

Think about music that your parents or grandparents could "tolerate".

Harry

Thanks Harry, if there's any quaint old English phrases you need help with, I'm your man!!

Phil

Does anyone know why there's two versions of the song? One with the musical intro and the other with Karen's vocalizing (the version I prefer). I thought it was strange that they'd record a new version to put on the flip side of a single, which turned out to be "Calling Occupants..."

One theory that I've held to for years was it was done as insurance in case "Calling Occupants" was a flop, they could push "Can't Smile," instead...

I do know both - the second version turned up on "Singles 1974-1978", but I think I prefer the original! Interesting theory, Johnny, about the flip side of COOIC!!

The story I've heard is that since they were going to put it on a single, even a b-side, Richard wanted to "beef" it up a little bit. So they redid the intro and changed the first verse.

Harry

You know, I always thought there was a second Singles album , but I haven't seen it listed anywhere for years, so I thought I was imagining it.

JMAR5 said:
You know, I always thought there was a second Singles album , but I haven't seen it listed anywhere for years, so I thought I was imagining it.

It shows up on eBay once in awhile. You can probably find it at GEMM.com. It was only released outside the US in places like Canada and the UK. I have both the LP and the CD.

Harry

"Singles 1974-1978" reached # 1 over here in UK, but nowhere near as successful as it's illustrious predecessor!

If you want my $.02, I think the recent remix of "Can't Smile" is better. It can be found on the Japanese release "By Request". It is a remix of the "single" version, and it is very, very good IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom