Carpenters at KTNQ, Los Angeles, 1977

Great photo! As the years go by, I’ve had a growing affection for Passage. I’d rank it in my top 5, mainly because it’s such an enjoyable listen. ‘B’Wana’ will always be my standout favourite from the album, but what Richard did with ‘I Just Fall In Love Again’ for the RPO album was a masterpiece. I still remember one reviewer who singled the track out as “jaw-droppingly stunning”.

They promoted it as much as they could. Not sure how high it got on their survey. The station was all the rage at the time though, giving KISS-FM 102.7 a run for their money.

They promoted it as much as they could. Not sure how high it got on their survey. The station was all the rage at the time though, giving KISS-FM 102.7 a run for their money.

It got to #13 at KTNQ.

Minor correction---in '77, KIIS-FM was not the juggernaut it became from 1982 on. KTNQ's main rival was KHJ. At the time "Calling Occupants" was getting play, KHJ had a 3.5 share, KFI a 3.1, KIIS-FM a 2.7, KIQQ a 2.4 and KTNQ a 2.1----too many Top 40 stations trying to split the available listeners.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael, I had never heard of KTNQ before. I only knew of KHJ and KRLA.

Listening to this 2,5 hour recording from Don Steele's show from June 1977 right now... let's see what songs sound familiar :phones:

KTNQ, 1977-06-02 (The Real Don Steele)

(I see there's a couple of 1970s shows from KIQQ on MixCloud as well 🎉)

Great "Passage" T-shirt by the way 🤩

Greg

Thanks Michael, I had never heard of KTNQ before. I only knew of KHJ and KRLA.

Listening to this 2,5 hour recording from Don Steele's show from June 1977 right now... let's see what songs sound familiar :phones:

KTNQ, 1977-06-02 (The Real Don Steele)

(I see there's a couple of 1970s shows from KIQQ on MixCloud as well 🎉)

Great "Passage" T-shirt by the way 🤩

Greg

That is one of the better airchecks in terms of accurately capturing KTNQ. It mellowed out a lot after its first year.

Great photo! As the years go by, I’ve had a growing affection for Passage. I’d rank it in my top 5, mainly because it’s such an enjoyable listen. ‘B’Wana’ will always be my standout favourite from the album, but what Richard did with ‘I Just Fall In Love Again’ for the RPO album was a masterpiece. I still remember one reviewer who singled the track out as “jaw-droppingly stunning”.

Imagine if we had been treated with a "B'Wana" promo video just like "All you get from Love...". That would have been amazing!

Back
Top Bottom