Carpenters finally on SACD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if this has already been told, but there will be no SACD release for Japan. North America only.

Yesterday I spoke with my Tower Records Friend and his release schedule confirms Nov 9th Singles SACD. The actual reason I called was to snag any and all promo material that will surely come his way. Now with the resurgence of new release anticipation I find myself in hyper-collect mode. God help me, this kinda thing knocks me out.

Ready to pounce on the promo copy,

Jeff

I've a hunch after we've heard it, the feelings will be mixed...nice, on the one hand, to have multi-channel...but on the other, with re-recorded parts, not quite what we would prefer.....but I'll snag one anyway, the masochist in me.... :badteeth:

:ed:

It will be worth getting just to hear how Richard remixes the surround tracks, then comparing those mixes to the '70s quads.

:-jon

Jon! My, we don't see you around here much.....:cool:

Yeah, I mean, how can ya not snag one? I will, if only, as you say, for comparison purposes....would like to be pleasantly surprised that things won't come off too wonky....but this is definitely one of those 'iffy' titles that gives one some pause, just by what we already know....

:ed:

JonUrban said:
It will be worth getting just to hear how Richard remixes the surround tracks, then comparing those mixes to the '70s quads.

Actually, the quad mixes weren't done by Richard. Since Richard and Karen were on the road, the mixes were done by A&M engineers. So if you think that the 5.1 is going to sound like the quad mixes think again.

And didn't Richard say he didn't care for the quad mixes? I'd still like to know why there is a different verse by Karen & it can't be found anywhere else. Did Richard approve this different verse that Karen sings, cause it has never shown up again.

JonUrban said:

Jon--do let us know how they compare. And I'm curious to know if Richard's surround mix leans toward aggressive or environmental. I would think the latter.

Patrick, On the Quad Singles LP on the song "Goodbye to Love" There are 2 things diff.

At the very very begining of the song there is what I hear a guitar riff (of about 3 secs, I don't hear this on any other compilation. (this may in fact be caused by the Quad mixing I don't know.

Then on the verse:

All the years of useless search

On the quad it goes,

All the tears of useless search (to me it also sounds like a whole different re-record by Karen on that verse) and why is it like this, makes me think there is another recording of this track somwhere, or did Karen re-record just this verse to fit on this Quad, or were the people mixing the quad doing something wrong? Alot of questions.

Since it was a staff engineer, it could be the engineer used an alternate (inccorect) vocal track.

Thanks for the info, Chris! I remember ... way back... the 8 track tape version of Now & Then had a different mix of "Yesterday Once More". Right after Karen sings "just like before" there was a 4 note piano riff instead of what we are used to hearing on the other versions. My 33LP Album version of "Now & Then" at that time did NOT have the piano riff. Anyone else heard of this?

-So glad 8 tracks disappeared!

aaflyer98 said:
Thanks for the info, Chris! I remember ... way back... the 8 track tape version of Now & Then had a different mix of "Yesterday Once More". Right after Karen sings "just like before" there was a 4 note piano riff instead of what we are used to hearing on the other versions. My 33LP Album version of "Now & Then" at that time did NOT have the piano riff. Anyone else heard of this?

The first pressing of the LP had the piano part you describe, but it was quickly replaced by the guitar-riff version on all subsequent pressings -- until the "Remastered Classics" CD version came out. That CD version has the original mix of the song.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom