• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters on the Johnny Cash Show

GDBY2LV

Carpenters on The Johnny Cash Show Sunday 3/1/2020 at 10:00pmEDT. Singing Close To You. Just saw the promo again today. I didn’t know they were ever on this program. Looking forward to watching. GETtv channel. I think it’s over the air in most markets. Maybe some cable or satellite companies broadcast it too. Channel 31.2 here.

I have the DVD from The Johnny Cash Show with Carpenters. Close To You is only an intro, Karen sings Why do birds....and stops at Close to You it's very short but the plus is that she is singing that intro live and you see her. It then fades to Johnny who introduces the group and the rest of the songs are lip synched. For All We Know and then Rainy Days. Richard does introduced Rainy Days. The tape I have is poor quality.

Thanks for the heads up I'll look to see if I get this cable channel and if so will record it.

All they show in the promo is the first 10 seconds of CTY. Thanks for the update. Can’t wait to see it. GET is on Dish and Spectrum, but not on U-verse which I have. I’ll watch over the airwaves.

We used to have GetTV and then lost it. Now it's back as a digital subchannel on our Univision affiliate which recently upgraded its signal. Maybe I'll take a look.

Last edited:
I searched and don’t get that channel they replaced it with antenna tv. All I can hope is that someone puts it on you tube. It would be cool to see it in at least 480p

Carpenters on The Johnny Cash Show Sunday 3/1/2020 at 10:00pmEDT. Singing Close To You. Just saw the promo again today. I didn’t know they were ever on this program. Looking forward to watching. GETtv channel. I think it’s over the air in most markets. Maybe some cable or satellite companies broadcast it too. Channel 31.2 here.

Yes!! I was watching the "Johnny Cash Show" last Sunday on GetTV and I saw that promo. From reading the bio books I knew that they appeared on his show but I had never seen this clip. Last time I checked, it wasn't on YT. The musical guests on this show usually perform live. The show I saw last week had a young Joni Mitchell and she was great! And his shows really have good video quality. I am looking forward to seeing the duo on his show this Sunday Night.

Yes!! I was watching the "Johnny Cash Show" last Sunday on GetTV and I saw that promo. From reading the bio books I knew that they appeared on his show but I had never seen this clip. Last time I checked, it wasn't on YT. The musical guests on this show usually perform live. The show I saw last week had a young Joni Mitchell and she was great! And his shows really have good video quality. I am looking forward to seeing the duo on his show this Sunday Night.
I saw a video of C's appearance on Cash Show several years ago on YouTube. Johnny gave a cool lead-in where he said not many made it to the Grand Ole Opry (where the show was filmed), but the Carpenters did, and they deserved it. Actually, C's had several hits/album cuts that were basically country or country-style: Top of the World, Jambalaya, Sweet, Sweet Smile; Reason to Believe, and more. And John Bettis was a real country music composer star, ultimately settling in Memphis or Nashville, not sure which.

Judy's story is incredible and her passion for the Carpenters is sincere. A talented writer and performer who has provided happiness to all ages in northern New England.

I have the DVD from The Johnny Cash Show with Carpenters. Close To You is only an intro, Karen sings Why do birds....and stops at Close to You it's very short but the plus is that she is singing that intro live and you see her. It then fades to Johnny who introduces the group and the rest of the songs are lip synched. For All We Know and then Rainy Days. Richard does introduced Rainy Days. The tape I have is poor quality.

Thanks for the heads up I'll look to see if I get this cable channel and if so will record it.
I saw a video of C's appearance on Cash Show several years ago on YouTube. Johnny gave a cool lead-in where he said not many made it to the Grand Ole Opry (where the show was filmed), but the Carpenters did, and they deserved it. Actually, C's had several hits/album cuts that were basically country or country-style: Top of the World, Jambalaya, Sweet, Sweet Smile; Reason to Believe, and more. And John Bettis was a real country music composer star, ultimately settling in Memphis or Nashville, not sure which.

Well, I remembered to set a DVR recording and here is what aired. Apparently there was originally a "For All We Know" performance too, but it wasn't there. Either it was edited out or it was another broadcast. I suspect the former since the total show clocked in at 42 minutes. Should be about 50 or more in those days.

How odd they started playing the soundtrack of For All We Know and then edited it out, so obvious why would they do that? They did perform it at the same time. What a rip off although it was lip synched.

How odd they started playing the soundtrack of For All We Know and then edited it out, so obvious why would they do that? They did perform it at the same time. What a rip off although it was lip synched.

Stations today demand more advertising time, so these shows are edited before they are even sold to the stations. It kind of makes sense in this case since Carpenters are not really "country" music like the rest of the hour was.

Always thought Jonny Cash and Carpenters were an odd pairing in a TV special just because of what Harry stated above; however, they (Carpenters) were a "hot ticket" at the time and Mr. Cash was lucky to get them booked.

Oh, nothing hotter at the time. They'd been #1 with the Close To You single, and the album was hot too, followed by "We've Only Just Begun" which also shot up the charts. At Christmas time, they ripped up the charts again with "Merry Christmas Darling" and shot out of the gate after that with "For All We Know", with the monster "Rainy Days And Mondays" waiting in the wings, and "Superstar" not far behind.

That's being HOT!

Always thought Jonny Cash and Carpenters were an odd pairing in a TV special just because of what Harry stated above; however, they (Carpenters) were a "hot ticket" at the time and Mr. Cash was lucky to get them booked.
Cash's programmers were open-minded and looked for rising talent even if it wasn't "country." No surprise he booked the Carpenters; they even had the Cowsills on during their brief run; there is, or was, a YouTube video of Cash singing a gospel tune with the Cowsills, a real period piece!

New footage has emerged of Karen and Richard appearing on the Johnny Cash Show which aired on the 24th of March 1971. They videotaped the show in Nashville, TN between the 16th-18th February.

They perform a live introduction of "Close To You" and are introduced by Johnny Cash. Richard then introduces their new song "Rainy Days And Mondays" which they lip-sync to. This television appearance pre-dates the single and tan album release by about two months. Is this the very first time this song was heard? "For All We Know" was currently in the US Top 5, strange they didn't perform that (if my timeline is correct) and instead, elected for a song that wouldn't see release for a couple of months.

Oh, nothing hotter at the time. They'd been #1 with the Close To You single, and the album was hot too, followed by "We've Only Just Begun" which also shot up the charts. At Christmas time, they ripped up the charts again with "Merry Christmas Darling" and shot out of the gate after that with "For All We Know", with the monster "Rainy Days And Mondays" waiting in the wings, and "Superstar" not far behind.

That's being HOT!

Great summation Harry! An incredible run by our beloved duo. It's a shame it had to end...

Yeah as Harry said, it’s because of advertising time, although nowadays stations seem to be getting away from having shows fit in the standard 30/60 minute slots (like if they are airing shows made for streaming services). By comparison, look at the original 1960’s Star Trek episodes. TOS episodes are 52 minutes without commercials in length on the DVD’s, whereas on TV for decades they’ve been whittling down the run time on broadcast to about 40 minutes, trimming at least 10 minutes out of the episodes (although some stations, like CTV’s Sci-Fi here in Canada seem to be airing less commercials, or they are extending the schedule time so that it runs like 10 minutes into the next hour).

That's being HOT!

You ain’t kidding! One right after another!

Well, I remembered to set a DVR recording and here is what aired. Apparently there was originally a "For All We Know" performance too, but it wasn't there. Either it was edited out or it was another broadcast. I suspect the former since the total show clocked in at 42 minutes. Should be about 50 or more in those days.

Here is the for all we know performance on the same show:

There are times when I don't get as much time as I'd like to peruse this forum.

Finding this thread, where I get to watch video of our duo I have never seen before, feels like Christmas. I become aware of this huge smile on my face. THANK YOU to all concerned for knowing this was coming and starting this thread about it.

An aside - Karen sings the intro and For All We Know out front, whereas is behind her kit for Rainy Days. Where does this performance date in terms of the decision to urge Karen to get up?

Back
Top Bottom