• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters On The Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaflyer98

It's that time of year where we get to hear lots of Christmas Songs from the Carpenters on the radio! Yea!
Last night on Delilah's program broadcast here in Phoenix and nationwide,
"Home For The Holidays" was played and the ORIGINAL version of "Merry Christmas, Darling" which took me by surprise. I haven't heard that version on the radio in years and years. I confess I like Karen's vocals better on the 1978 version, but it was great to hear the original for a change. Well, I'm looking forward to hearing more and more Karen & Richard this holiday season!
Happy Holidays to you all!

...Carpenters' CHRISTMAS SONGS On the Radio!!! :bigeek: :wtf: :santa:

Well, I actually heard the Carpenters' Christmas Medley--"OK Chorale, Orchestra and ALL!"--on the way to a Dentist Appointment it was good to almost-Completely Forget About (though acctually had a "Clean Bill of Health at the End Of) on the Radio...! :bigsanta:

Dave

It isn't officially Christmas for me until I hear the harmonic siblings on "...folks put runners on their surreys, and forget about their worries...". Richard could make a continuous loop of those 4 measures and put it on a CD and I'd buy it.

Every Sha, La, La, La..., Every Ho, Ho, Ho...

Yesterday Once More on my way home from work today and Hurting Each Other on my way home from work yesterday...

Dave

Just today, "Home For The Holidays" and "Carol Of The Bells", which we also heard yesterday in the supermarket.

Harry

Unfortunately, if you read the article, you'll see this:

Sean Shannon, Cumulus Atlanta market manager, emailed me that this was a mistake:

Web team got the wrong list of artists…not a hot A/C though. This is what Lite A/C’s sound like today.Westwood One product

The Warm mix: a few songs from the 1980s (“Always Something There to Remind Me,” “Open Arms,” “All Night Long,” “Let’s Hear It For the Boy”) with cuts from the 1990s and 2000s (“To Be With You,” “My Immortal,” “I’m Like a Bird,” “You’re Beautiful”) and currents (“Hello,” “Love You Like a Love Song,” “Perfect,” “Can’t Feel My Face”). Here’s a sample hour:

11:56 a.m.: “Wildest Dreams” by Taylor Swift” (2015)

12 p.m. “Home” by Daughtry (2007)

12:04 p.m. “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons (2012)

12:08 p.m. “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele (2010)

12:12 p.m.”Lay It On Me” by Rudimental (2015)

12:15 p.m. “Missing You” John Waite (1984)

12:19 p.m. “The Sweet Escape” Gwen Stefani (2006)

12:25 p.m. “Try” Pink (2012)

12:30 p.m. “In Your Eyes” Peter Gabriel (1984)

12:35 p.m. “Suit & Tie” Justin Timberlake (2013)

12:40 p.m. “What About Love” Heart (1985)

12:45 p.m. “Some Nights” Fun. (2013)

12:49 p.m. “Like I’m Gonna Lose You” Meghan Trainor (2015)

So the website is wrong and this station is actually more of a modern-day Adult Contemporary station.

Harry

Yes, Harry, I had read the article and caught the "mistake"---what I did find interesting--- needless to say-- is how the
Carpenters Logo was prominent in the artist promotion was still posted as advertisement.
Thus, I wonder if the aforementioned station made a mistake--or, is intentional in trying to capture
whether or not an audience still exists for the music which they mistakenly promoted ?
All in all, how does a professional organization 'create' this dissonance,
this 'mistake' to begin with ?
(WKRP in Atlanta?)

Well, at least some of those artists are ones I forgot to mention on my radio station's Sunday Morning, Over Easy program... (Forgot Bread, and maybe ARS (Atlanta Rhythm Section) might have been played, and there was also Crosby, Stills & Nash/Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young/Crosby, Nash/Stills, Young etc.) and did I get the numbers wrong in one post (while keeping the call letters (WCSX) right? It's 94.7 FM...

Those are ones that, among others, the station has refrained from playing... Slow numbers by Fleetwood Mac, Linda Ronstadt, and the Eagles--OK... But a "ballad" by U2, is still something that's TOO HARD...! :wtf:

-- Dave

Yes, Harry, I had read the article and caught the "mistake"---what I did find interesting--- needless to say-- is how the
Carpenters Logo was prominent in the artist promotion was still posted as advertisement.
Thus, I wonder if the aforementioned station made a mistake--or, is intentional in trying to capture
whether or not an audience still exists for the music which they mistakenly promoted ?
All in all, how does a professional organization 'create' this dissonance,
this 'mistake' to begin with ?
(WKRP in Atlanta?)

With the consolidation of radio into several large groups, there's a "synergy" which was created that had the end result of stations in one town sounding exactly like a similar-formatted station in another town. And there's the file-sharing that goes along with that. When I worked for Greater Media, we had a station in Detroit go to a Classic Rock format, WCSX. When Philadelphia adopted the same format, we simply borrowed and adapted their logo for our use.

In this case, its an employee or two of owner Cumulus that has erred. Someone in a web department in Atlanta asked someone in Corporate for a logo for an Adult Contemporary format, and the reply was likely that logo with the Carpenters logo prominently featured. It's a holiday season, a number of key employees are out for a couple of weeks, and someone goofed, mistaking the old 70s version of Adult Contemporary with what passes for A/C these days.

As this is a start-up station after dropping the Christmas format, there probably aren't a whole lot of people accessing the website yet, but I'm sure that if not soon, then by next week, it'll get corrected and fleshed out properly.

Meanwhile, enjoy the Carpenters logo being so prominently displayed.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom