• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

CARPENTERS T.V. SPECIALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Harry !
Interesting, we have Karen Carpenter singing :
Sing.... in Spanish
Silent Night.... in German
Sing.... in Japanese.

Karen Carpenter duets --on their Specials--with:
John Denver
John Davidson
Ella Fitzgerald
Kristy McNichol
Georgia Engel

On their Specials,
Does Richard ever perform with another Lead Singer ?

Are those vocals, Karen and Georgia duet , 'locked' into the same track ? (i.e., inseparable).
The sibling McNichols seem to have been--again--a Jerry Weintraub selection.
And, again, duet vocals of Karen and Kristy (as Richard Carpenter states) are 'locked' into the same track for Christmas Alphabet..

It would be impossible to do anything with songs like Christmas Alphabet now anyway, since it was a 'Karen takes a line/Kristi takes a line' sort of duet. It would sound ridiculous to release it even if Karen's vocal wasn't locked in with Kristi's because every other line of the song would have no vocals.

Agree wholeheartedly, Newvillefan !
Although, I had in mind more of a 'substitution' of another singer's vocals to replace Kristi McNichol's parts.
But, given the nature of the song, this simply a waste of Karen's talents on this duet.
Why--Oh, why--saddle the finest female vocalist with such mediocre duet singing partners ?

Thanks, Harry !
Interesting, we have Karen Carpenter singing :
Sing.... in Spanish
Silent Night.... in German
Sing.... in Japanese.

Karen Carpenter duets --on their Specials--with:
John Denver
John Davidson
Ella Fitzgerald
Kristy McNichol
Georgia Engel

On their Specials,
Does Richard ever perform with another Lead Singer ?

Richard duetted with the other McNichol on the Brothers and Sisters song, when they were packing up the car to go skiing on the Christmas Portrait special. Of course on that song it was two duets being performed as Karen and Kristy were singing about their brothers.

But didn't Richard also sing a duet with Gene Kelly, like "O Come All Yeah Faithful?"

As I was thinking about Carpenters and their Television Specials,
one question re-surfaced in my mind--and, it is a question which I
have had since the 1970's:
Would not Karen and Richard have made perfect Guests on the Jim Henson
(aired 1976-1981) created Muppet Show ?
Were they ever approached for such ?

Another perspective:
The top 10 Christmas TV specials of the 1970's
by Mike McPadden / December 23, 2015
Source:
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/274549/the-top-10-christmas-tv-specials-of-the-1970s/

#6 The Carpenters at Christmas (1977)
"The music of brother-sister pop duo sensations Karen and Richard Carpenter always mixed warmth, longing,
sentimentality, and a little spookiness in much the same way the holiday season inherently does, too.
For their 1977 ABC Christmas romp, they are joined by Harvey Korman, Kristy McNichol, and Kukla and Ollie,
and the puppets from CBS’s positively ancient kids’ series, Kukla , Fran, and Ollie."

As I was thinking about Carpenters and their Television Specials,
one question re-surfaced in my mind--and, it is a question which I
have had since the 1970's:
Would not Karen and Richard have made perfect Guests on the Jim Henson
(aired 1976-1981) created Muppet Show ?
Were they ever approached for such ?

I've wondered about that myself. Within one year of the Muppets onset major stars were clamoring to get on the program. And Jerry Weintraub was pushing K & R more into television at that time. The only one who could answer that question is Weintraub. Too late

Would love to have decent copies on the TV Specials on DVD. The only really good quality specials I have are the 2 Christmas specials and the Perry Como thing that was released a few years ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom