• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

'Carpenters' tan album is underrated

crescentnoon

I don't see the tan album mentioned very often when people are talking about the group's best. Maybe it may not be THE best, but I have a hard time deciding between the tan album, A Song For You, or Horizon. I think it's pretty close up there. Pretty impressive track list.

Agree. It's my favorite Carpenters album. It's also (I believe this is still the case...) their biggest-selling, non-compilation album in the US. It's a snapshot of the duo just coming into their own, artistically, and it captured (and largely created...) the zeitgeist of popular music in that particular moment. I even love Druscilla Penny!

The tan album is my favorite as well, I enjoy listening to every track on it. Other than the great classics ("Rainy Days and Mondays, "For All We Know," "Superstar"), I also love "Let Me Be the One," "One Love," and the Bacharach medley. Karen's voice is like honey on this album, it's rich and soothing. And yes, I've thought Druscilla Penny was silly, but it's grown on me!

I am also a fan of the "Tan Album" (and the original LP cover!) I love the Bacharach Medley! The medleys have always been a strong point of Richard's great arrangements and a good vehicle for Karen's vocals. Another reason I like "As Time Goes By" because of the strong medleys.

Below is a prime example that pre-dates the Tan Album but showcases their talents together and individually!

I also like the tan album. For me its hard to decide which song i like best. Also for anyone interested here is a drum cover of let me be the one that i requested.

You are right the Tan, envelope album does not get enough mention. It is a joyful album in comparison. My favorite is RD and Mondays where Karen’s backup vocal cries close to the end on hanging around. It is the only version besides the single that has it as upfront.

It’s not my favourite album but there are a few sparkling gems on there, (A Place To Hideaway) and One Love being two of them. Both have very poignant lyrics since Karen’s passing and her reading on both songs is stunning for a 20/21 year old girl.

Tan album, not a favorite album, but it is interesting and listenable.
That it lands between Close To You LP and A Song For You LP,
does not do it any favors, as it is too brief in comparison to them.
Generally, I do not care for Medleys, even though the one here is enjoyable.
Saturday and Druscilla Penny, two songs I rarely listen too ( two RC/JB songs that are simply inferior imho).
Strengths: A Place To Hideaway and the three singles (Rainy Days, For All We Know, Superstar).
Unfortunately, I really rarely listen to this album, whereas albums like
Offering, CTY, ASFY, Horizon, Hush, and Passage get routine play from me.
And, due to its preponderance of Medleys, is the sole reason As Time Goes By suffers,
as the early songs are its strengths: NoWhere Man and California Dreamin'.

My first Carpenters album as well. I got talked out of buying James Taylor’s “Mud Slide Slim” album by my best friend, while looking at the new release section at Singer! Yes the fabric and sewing machine chain also had a record department with the best prices in town. $3.27 on the new releases. I was 14, and it started my obsession with them and their sound. My 3rd favorite album after A Song For You and Close to You respectively.

Back
Top Bottom