đź“Ł News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the same email and it's still the same release date for the vinyl. Was happy for the update and am wondering if the autographed versions will be delayed unless Richard has already pre signed all of the lithos.

Last edited:
“Ticket to Ride” has just arrived in my Apple Music library. On first listen, it sounds very much like an “enhanced” re-orchestrated version of the 1973 version. But I’m hearing new/louder drums, remixed backing vocals, beautiful swelling strings and Karen sounds even more front and centre than ever (as on MCD & YOM). The strings are particularly good on the third chorus, by the way. Whetting our appetite for the album release in 3 weeks...

I'm so happy to be hearing that Karen sounds more up front on this new album and not buried in all the new orchestration and mixing.
I'm especially anxious to hear how she is going to sound from the Made in America cuts, "Those Good Old Dreams" and "Touch Me When Were Dancing"

Hey Portlander,
Since you got the email too...for fun I just googled their address Unit #4 and google maps brings up a empty field with nothing on it. LOL Maybe it's so new google hasn't captured the new building yet? talk about a delay huh? Ha

Last edited:
“Ticket to Ride” has just arrived in my Apple Music library. On first listen, it sounds very much like an “enhanced” re-orchestrated version of the 1973 version. But I’m hearing new/louder drums, remixed backing vocals, beautiful swelling strings and Karen sounds even more front and centre than ever (as on MCD & YOM). The strings are particularly good on the third chorus, by the way. Whetting our appetite for the album release in 3 weeks...

Same thing. Heard the new instrumental on Ticket To Ride. On the chorus part, usually based on listening to the 1973 remix and the original, Karen’s voice were blended together with the backing vocals . But this time it was actually upfront and you can hear her sing the chorus above the backing vocals . And this version is much clearer than the one’s in the compilation where there’s reverb added.

Last edited:
I am very moved by what I have heard so far in Yesterday Once More and Merry Christmas Darling. YOM is my absolute favorite Carpenters tune and I wept tears of joy at the beauty of this new recording during the 200+ loops in a row that I played it that first night. The pinnacle of my enjoyment comes from tracks where Karen sang and played drums, and hearing how clear the drums are in this new mix moved me deeply. I have always loved the drum track on this cut, which is one of many reasons why it is my favorite, and hearing it in such clarity and definition for the first time was amazing. It still is amazing. 2 weeks in and the luster hasn't worn off for me yet.

Stellar. These first three are gorgeous. Richard's arrangements / production / tenacity brilliant. Carpenters perfection / music has always been octaves above. Joyous and waiting for Dec 7

I just listened to TTR. This has always been for me a masterpiece of an interpretation by K & R. Karen sounds so wonderful in this new version. The newly recorded strings and arrangement are also very nicely done. The drums are new. I just wish Richard had re-recorded the piano in stereo. The piano sound comes across as quite dated compared to the lushness of the rest of the mix. Still, this version gives me an even greater appreciation of their interpretation. This is my favorite of the three songs that have been released so far.

Thanks for posting the "Ticket" link. That's my favorite so far. I miss the electric guitar, but I get why it's gone -- and this makes for a very enjoyable, classy alternate interpretation. I would not have missed the electric piano if that had been removed, but there it is...

Without having listened to any of the songs yet and based on peoples comments so far, I can understand why Richard had to tread lightly over changing too much from the originals. I mean take away some of the original instruments like piano and you strip away what made the song so famous in the first place.

I have a feeling this release might make some people uneasy about changing so much from the original tracks like piano, drums removing in some cases Karen's drumming and replacing it with new drum work that all we have left is Karen's original vocals. It's a fine line between wanting the originals that we know and altering and bringing a fresh new approach to the song. The orchestra we know will bring a whole new feel for the song but how are some of you feeling about changing some of the original instruments that in some cases made the song what it was. Does it feel like Karen is apart of these new changes or does it feel like her vocal is just being inserted into something she was never apart of?

I guess I'm just going by comments thus far and really need to wait till I give this a listen.

I just listened to "Ticket", one of my all-time favorite Carpenters' songs, and I'm beyond happy. I like everything about it. Karen's vocals seem so present and clear, and the added strings are wonderful. The song begins to peak emotionally, for me anyway, beginning at 2:40 as the strings begin to build beautifully, and by the 2:46-2:48 mark I had tears in my eyes. Just lovely.

Last edited:
I just listened to "Ticket", one of my all-time favorite Carpenters' songs, and I'm beyond happy. I like everything about it. Karen's vocals seem so present and clear, and the added strings are wonderful. The song begins to peak emotionally, for me anyway, beginning at 2:40 as the strings building beautifully, and by the 2:46-2:48 mark I had tears in my eyes. Just lovely.
I agree. Absolutely exquisite. I'm deeply moved by the results of this so far and I'm sure those feelings will only grow stronger when the album is released in its entirety.

Really, really good.

To those who are fearful of treading on Karen's memory or vocals or drumming, just remember: All - ALL - of the original recordings are out there and always will be. These are just something new and different to keep things interesting.

Richard has always done his best to keep these recordings interesting and this is among his boldest steps. This will get a lot of play from me.

Just listened to "Ticket To Ride" and am very pleased. Like YOM and MCD, there are enough subtle changes to give it a fresh and gently enhanced feeling and Karen's vocals are clear and prominent . Now after serving on 5 different aircraft carriers, please understand that my hearing isn't what it was when "Close To You" hit the charts in my teens!

`I have a feeling this release might make some people uneasy about changing so much from the original tracks like piano, drums removing in some cases Karen's drumming and replacing it with new drum work that all we have left is Karen's original vocals. It's a fine line between wanting the originals that we know and altering and bringing a fresh new approach to the song.`

That is a good point, but I think the thing here is that the tracks haven't been changed to the degree that they are completely different, but just `fresh`.
I think Harry has it right, in that no matter what people think of this new sound and no doubt there will be some who won`t like it, the originals will always be there and will never change!
personally, I think more people will like this album more than don`t, because I don`t think the tracks have changed enough, to take them in a different direction.
so far, I love them :)

I thought that was the original release date anyway for the vinyl?

It was.

I believe the note is actually saying that the vinyl is due to ship from the manufacturer to the store/warehouse on February 8th. Meaning that the store will then have to distribute them to customers after that date as opposed to the store being able to ship them all to customers on February 8 as originally planned (since they would have had to have them on hand well before 2/8 to process all of the orders). The coincidence of the date makes it very confusing, but that is how I interpreted it.

It was.

I believe the note is actually saying that the vinyl is due to ship from the manufacturer to the store/warehouse on February 8th.

This is correct. I confirmed this with Amazon, where I preordered my copy. Too bad it couldn't get to us before Feb. 4. I always take that day off for reflection and I would love to listen to the vinyl version of this on that day. Nevertheless, I will be listening to the CD version.

By the way, I've been listening ON REPEAT to YOM and MCD since they dropped as advance promo tracks. I must say that, though I prefer the reworking of MCD to YOM - as it's so clearly different to the '70 and '78 originals - what I LOVE about YOM is the delicate guitar work hidden deep in the mix during the verses. It's subtle, but lovely - and quite modern. The first time I heard it, the strings just after "back again" also made me well up with tears of joy, as dramatic as they (and I) sound for that gut reaction, there it was!

This album is going to be SUCH a treat for us Carpenters fans - old and new alike.
Heck, it's making me post here more than I've ever done as a "silent" forum fan in years too!

By the way, I've been listening ON REPEAT to YOM and MCD since they dropped as advance promo tracks. I must say that, though I prefer the reworking of MCD to YOM - as it's so clearly different to the '70 and '78 originals - what I LOVE about YOM is the delicate guitar work hidden deep in the mix during the verses. It's subtle, but lovely - and quite modern. The first time I heard it, the strings just after "back again" also made me well up with tears of joy, as dramatic as they (and I) sound for that gut reaction, there it was!

This album is going to be SUCH a treat for us Carpenters fans - old and new alike.
Heck, it's making me post here more than I've ever done as a "silent" forum fan in years too!

I liked this post and then unliked it, just so I could like it again. If I didn't know any better, I'd assume it was something I wrote myself, as we are so much on the same page about this it's scary.

I liked this post and then unliked it, just so I could like it again. If I didn't know any better, I'd assume it was something I wrote myself, as we are so much on the same page about this it's scary.
Glad to hear it! I liked your "staging an intervention" post for the exact same reason! Mind you, everyone who knows me has been trying to separate me and my Carpenters obsession for 30 years, to little avail. So the habit is fixed! :razz:

I listened to the RPO "Ticket to Ride" twice on my Sonos this morning, and was a bit underwhelmed. I like how above the mix Karen's voice is, but didn't think the orchestration added much until the end. (I do love the cold ending, like on "If I Had You," and I realize it's going to segue beautifully into the cold opening of "Goodbye to Love.")

But then I listened to it on my Bose Noise canceling headphones and I was astonished at how awesome it sounded. Much of the RPO's contribution is subtle in the normal listening experience, but is enhanced substantially when you hear it on headphones. I think Richard's light touch and care for not overdoing the orchestrations is going to be a good thing in the end, once the whole album is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom