• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

📣 News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I care! :laugh: Seriously, if you've got the Royal Philharmonic at your disposal, why not feature them more prominently? From the three songs we've heard so far, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed / underwhelmed. I suppose that I was hoping for something different from this project...

When I think of "Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra", I imagine a once-in-a-lifetime concert at the Royal Albert Hall... Karen, front and centre, in an elegant evening gown, Richard in white tie and tails... with the exception of Richard's grand piano, all the musical accompaniment is provided by the orchestra, playing fresh, re-imagined arrangements... an unplugged, majestic, Carpenters symphony!...

Instead, what we're getting is essentially another album of Richard's remixes, with the RPO providing some subtle "enhancements". Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful that we're getting even this much (after Richard said that he was done, I never expected that there would be any more releases of any kind). At any rate, I'm certain that with the inclusion of the overture and new segues between songs, the album will be an enjoyable listen when taken as a whole. I'm looking forward to getting the CD!

Wow! Murray, you've been MIA for awhile; but when you come in, you come in strong! I'm getting more depressed by the minute. My last sanctuary is I Just Fall In Love Again. If RC can pull that one off...In my eyes/ears this album will be a masterpiece!

Whether these songs are/will be "re-imagined" or "enhanced" or whatever adjective best describes, to a degree that goes far enough for some, will of course be decided in the ear of each listener.

We have a lot of tracks to go; for me, I envision this project as if it were the 1970's again, and Richard had use of the RPO as an additional tool in his musical arsenal to add to the layered richness of these (now classic) songs. So far, I love what I'm hearing. Especially how Karen's voice is "up in the mix" (I think that's how you more knowledgeable folks say it).

Can't wait to get this and play it through my Bang Olufsen in my Audi :agree:

Since Ticket To Ride has been released, can someone tell me how it opens? Does it have a cold start with just the first notes of the piano or is there a lush orchestra interlude that starts it off? I ask because this track would be the first track on side 4 of the LP so there can't be a interlude from Rainy Days (ending of side 3 LP ) to Ticket.

I've been listening to all three released tracks in heavy rotation today-- at least ten or more times it's looped through. I love them more each pass! They sound awesome with headphones, too. :D

Since Ticket To Ride has been released, can someone tell me how it opens? Does it have a cold start with just the first notes of the piano or is there a lush orchestra interlude that starts it off? I ask because this track would be the first track on side 4 of the LP so there can't be a interlude from Rainy Days (ending of side 3 LP ) to Ticket.
It starts with the piano.

Since Ticket To Ride has been released, can someone tell me how it opens? Does it have a cold start with just the first notes of the piano or is there a lush orchestra interlude that starts it off?

It opens exactly as the original track does and sounds no different. There is no “lush orchestra interlude”.

Whether these songs are/will be "re-imagined" or "enhanced" or whatever adjective best describes, to a degree that goes far enough for some, will of course be decided in the ear of each listener.

We have a lot of tracks to go; for me, I envision this project as if it were the 1970's again, and Richard had use of the RPO as an additional tool in his musical arsenal to add to the layered richness of these (now classic) songs. So far, I love what I'm hearing. Especially how Karen's voice is "up in the mix" (I think that's how you more knowledgeable folks say it).

Can't wait to get this and play it through my Bang Olufsen in my Audi :agree:
Well said David, thank you.

I have listened to the new songs on my phone and computer, but not with headphones as of yet.

The family went to have pictures made today....myself, wife, 19 yr old daughter and 17 yr old son.....21 year old song drove separately. We were talking about the new release and what I was going to order...

Although married for 29 years, my wife is an occasional listener of the Carpenters...basically when I have them on in the car. Both kids (all 3 actually) pretty much know every song and can sing along if they choose. When the youngest was younger, he did a mean vocal guitar solo on Goodbye to Love....

I had my wife pull up youtube on my phone. We listened to the '73 TTR..pretty loudly in the car. Then I told them to listen for any differences they heard from the new TTR with the Philharmonic. They were all noticing the differences and commenting on how they really liked it and how cool it was. My wife kept referring to the original.....so I explained the original and the '73 version. We listened to the original '69 TTR.

Then listened to MCD from the new album and they noticed several changes..the listened to the original single.....and finally YOM and they really liked both.

My wife said (after 29 years of marriage), "I didn't realize there was so many differences. I just figured Karen Carpenter was Karen Carpenter. Maybe I should start listening with you when you listen to your vinyl"

So there you have it. Even some casual listeners will hear the differences.

Jonathan

The family went to have pictures made today....myself, wife, 19 yr old daughter and 17 yr old son.....21 year old song drove separately. We were talking about the new release and what I was going to order...
Although married for 29 years, my wife is an occasional listener of the Carpenters...basically when I have them on in the car. Both kids (all 3 actually) pretty much know every song and can sing along if they choose. When the youngest was younger, he did a mean vocal guitar solo on Goodbye to Love....

Even the family story was nice! Hope the portrait turns out awesome, and cool the Carpenters can be a part of that! :)

Just sitting here watching/listening to Carpenters music videos I put together myself, as I do pretty much every night, two songs jump out at me I`d love to hear with the philharmonic and believe would sound incredible, are `I can dream can`t I` and `Karen` theme` :)

I think had Richard not been around, I believe they would have done more than they have, but I suspect Richard held them back. the other projects they did in this `series` aren't around (I believe) anymore, so the fact Richard is, I think has a lot to do with it.
I totally see where your coming from to be honest, as I initially had the same thought, but I believe there`s enough `freshness` in them, to make them different, but unchanged, if that makes sense.

I care! :laugh: Seriously, if you've got the Royal Philharmonic at your disposal, why not feature them more prominently? From the three songs we've heard so far, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed / underwhelmed. I suppose that I was hoping for something different from this project...

When I think of "Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra", I imagine a once-in-a-lifetime concert at the Royal Albert Hall... Karen, front and centre, in an elegant evening gown, Richard in white tie and tails... with the exception of Richard's grand piano, all the musical accompaniment is provided by the orchestra, playing fresh, re-imagined arrangements... an unplugged, majestic, Carpenters symphony!...

Instead, what we're getting is essentially another album of Richard's remixes, with the RPO providing some subtle "enhancements". Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful that we're getting even this much (after Richard said that he was done, I never expected that there would be any more releases of any kind). At any rate, I'm certain that with the inclusion of the overture and new segues between songs, the album will be an enjoyable listen when taken as a whole. I'm looking forward to getting the CD!

That was perfectly stated. I too am a bit underwhelmed overall, but grateful for this project nonetheless! My expectations, I guess, come from the other RPO releases I have heard, in which many songs are more transformative than these first three cuts. I will be playing this album a lot when I get it for sure. I will be listening to it purely as enjoyment sometimes and also picking it apart musically and technically other times because that is how I listen to music. When others (not you) say “how can anyone criticize this...” it is like saying “don’t express your opinions unless they agree with ours”... Just because their is criticism, doesn’t mean that I don’t have a deep love for Karen, Richard, and their music.

I can understand how some would be underwhelmed by what they have heard so far, but we should know what to expect from Richard at this point. We know he is going to be within a pretty narrow box vision wise and that to him, subtle differences are big deals. Also, we were made aware that the recording sessions at Abbey Road were a total of 3 days, and there isn't much that can be recorded in that short amount of time. It made me understand very early on that this release was going to contain nothing more than added flourishes and mild improvements on what is already there.

With uncompressed CD audio, the sound that most of us are enjoying will be even better. Keep in mind that 192k MP3 will be limited and is designed to accommodate music players with headphones the best.

What I am getting at is that we must manage our expectations with Richard. Fans often expect more than he is willing or able to give and that unfortunately takes away from the enjoyment of what he does release.

What I am getting at is that we must manage our expectations with Richard. Fans often expect more than he is willing or able to give and that unfortunately takes away from the enjoyment of what he does release.

Good point! ^
Yup, if one doesn't set your expectations so high, you'll be a lot less disappointed...........and maybe even surprised and happy with what you are getting!

^This is true, for me I haven't really listened to the other artists who have RPO releases so I don't really have any expectations about this release. I know it's going to sound different but I know that I'm going to love it either way. I'm most excited about hearing, I Need To Be In Love. I have always been a believer that the album version to me sounds sped up ever so slightly. I know others disagree but I feel the tempo has been slowed down ever so slightly on the Bruce Forsyth Show which allows Karen to really open up and linger on the words longer giving them more punch even in her whispered vocals. If Karen's vocals are more up front like others are saying on these other tracks then I'm in for a big surprise on INTBIL. How will her vocal sound on this song compared to the studio version? This anticipation is killing me.

^This is true, for me I haven't really listened to the other artists who have RPO releases so I don't really have any expectations about this release. I know it's going to sound different but I know that I'm going to love it either way. I'm most excited about hearing, I Need To Be In Love. I have always been a believer that the album version to me sounds sped up ever so slightly. I know others disagree but I feel the tempo has been slowed down ever so slightly on the Bruce Forsyth Show which allows Karen to really open up and linger on the words longer giving them more punch even in her whispered vocals. If Karen's vocals are more up front like others are saying on these other tracks then I'm in for a big surprise on INTBIL. How will her vocal sound on this song compared to the studio version? This anticipation is killing me.

What he said! ^ !!!!!!!

I do get you wrong, then.
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about!
You can't say you're looking forward to something while ripping it to shreds.
I don't think you guys get it.
I'm getting sick of people's compulsive criticisms.
Don't buy it then.

I'm not coming on this forum for a long time. I'm taking a break.
See y'all after the release. Maybe 2019. I don't know.

I do get you wrong, then.
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about!
You can't say you're looking forward to something while ripping it to shreds.
I don't think you guys get it.
I'm getting sick of people's compulsive criticisms.
Don't buy it then.

I'm not coming on this forum for a long time. I'm taking a break.
See y'all after the release. Maybe 2019. I don't know.

(Somebody had to break the ice) This really is a good thread.
However this makes me sad! Although I really don't know anyone here personally, @WYBIMLA, I hope you will come back and keep sharing your views! We all have different ways of processing sights and sounds. :)

We are the fans. It takes expense and time to promote an album. If we can’t do it, we are nothing more than hot air. Think about it. Who are we to be so critical. We can say things in a way to still show support. Not everyone reading this forum knows our history and what we leave behind can have lasting effects. Let’s talk about what we like to help promote the new and take the concerns into private conversations is my suggestion.

This article was released yesterday in Japan, yet it contains just about the same info. It mentions that Richard will be in Japan early December, I'm betting on release date. I used google translation as the article is in Japanese. I like this part of the article,

"Richard said," I think that if I can redo this from scratch, "there are only a few songs yet There are certainly places where you can add thickness depths of arrangements that you do not want to go beyond. "The secret is in that exact same amount."

I think this has a lot to do with what we have been talking about lately on this thread. How much is too much orchestration on a Carpenters song. I'm trusting Richard's instinct here.

It also mentions that some 10 lucky Japan fans are going to get a special bonus when they order the CD, only for Japan. It will be some autograph signature. I wonder if it's the litho or something else. CD Japan also indicates when you order the CD it's not only a Japan bonus track but also a First Press Application Card (Japan Only)

If your using google, right click and translate to English on link below after opening.

カーペンターズ、リチャード・カーペンターが17年ぶりの新作を語る動画が公開 | NME Japan

Good point! ^
Yup, if one doesn't set your expectations so high, you'll be a lot less disappointed...........and maybe even surprised and happy with what you are getting!

yep. you are right. if history has taught us anything it's that carpenters always aimed to be mediocre.

We are the fans. It takes expense and time to promote an album. If we can’t do it, we are nothing more than hot air. Think about it. Who are we to be so critical. We can say things in a way to still show support. Not everyone reading this forum knows our history and what we leave behind can have lasting effects. Let’s talk about what we like to help promote the new and take the concerns into private conversations is my suggestion.
Exactly. This being released around Christmas is a perfect opportunity to turn people onto this music. I preordered 4 copies of the CD, one for myself of course and 3 that I will be giving to friends and family as Christmas presents. I'll also be purchasing multiple copies of the vinyl release for the same purpose, to distribute the album to my audiophile friends with whom I trade high definition recordings. It saddens me that Richard seems to have such disdain for American fans, and spends his efforts focusing on the Japanese fanbase, but I can definitely see why. They tend to be a lot more enthusiastic about the music in recent years and have never really lost their love or respect for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom