• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

šŸ“£ News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. This being released around Christmas is a perfect opportunity to turn people onto this music. I preordered 4 copies of the CD, one for myself of course and 3 that I will be giving to friends and family as Christmas presents. I'll also be purchasing multiple copies of the vinyl release for the same purpose, to distribute the album to my audiophile friends with whom I trade high definition recordings. It saddens me that Richard seems to have such disdain for American fans, and spends his efforts focusing on the Japanese fanbase, but I can definitely see why. They tend to be a lot more enthusiastic about the music in recent years and have never really lost their love or respect for it.

The British and the Japanese cultures seem to have a special love and reverence for ā€Americanā€ music in its many forms that we Americans as a cultural collective often lack. It happens with the Carpenters, it happens with American Classic soul music and it doesnā€™t stop there. This is such a shame that we in the US often lack a proper reverence for our own musical history.

I donā€™t think Richard has disdain for the US fans. He will probably do the PBS route and QVC as he did with the Singles collection and 40/40. The US music industry is not what it was in the 1970s and 80s. It is a bit like dating. You want to spend time and effort on someone who is interested in you (and vice versa) and not waste effort on someone who is not.

Last edited:
The British and the Japanese cultures seem to have a special love and reverence for ā€Americanā€ music in its many forms that we Americans as a cultural collective sometimes lack. It happens with the Carpenters, it happens with American Classic soul music and it doesnā€™t stop there. This is such a shame.

I donā€™t think Richard has disdain for the US fans. He will probably do the PBS route and QVC as he did with the Singles collection an 40/40. The US music industry is not what it was in the 1970s and 80s. It is a bit like dating. You want to spend time and effort on someone who is interested in you and not waste effort on someone who is not.
I like your rationale here. Maybe disdain wasn't the right word. The dating analogy made me realize that. I'll modify my statement to say that it hasn't been a very good courtship and Richard has decided to see other people. It is indeed a shame to see him be so open and friendly with Japanese audiences, but so skeptical when it comes to Americans. I remember reading that Nicolas Cage had to really work to get Richard to let him use Superstar for Ghost Rider, convincing him that it would not be in a derogatory way, but that his character would be a serious fan of Karen's singing. That wall automatically goes up and it's sad.

Motownboy got me to re-reading the Billboard article, February 10, 1996:
The Carpenters are a Hit Among Young Japanese.
That article really says it all.
Read:
books.google.com/books?id=Dg8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA49&dq=japan+carpenters&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU86njnt7eAhVLQq0KHeveDa4Q6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=japan%20carpenters&f=false

Read:
books.google.com/books?id=Dg8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA49&dq=japan+carpenters&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU86njnt7eAhVLQq0KHeveDa4Q6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=japan%20carpenters&f=false

That wall automatically goes up and it's sad.

I remember reading somewhere that Richard was asked to take part in the E! True Hollywood Story documentary about Karen, but declined believing it would be sensationalist. It turned out to be very nicely put together and respectful of Karen's memory and legacy.

Read:

I have a really funny (personal) story to share about this time period in Japan.

A few here that have known me over the years probably already know some of this, but I got my start as a music director working for an LA-based singer who was also a Karen Carpenter tribute artist back in the early 90s.

In February of '96 I received a phone call asking if I would be interesting in music directing several shows on a tour as the "Carpenters" (yes impersonating the man himself), hitting several of Japan's hot spots/jazz clubs etc around the country, due to this huge resurgence that was taking place amongst Carpenters fans and a whole new generation of fans arising - particularly in Japan. Of course up to that point had studied every single Carpenters arrangement; note-for-note on piano, not to mention much of the sweetening and orchestrations, so this was right up my alley at the time.

I took the offer, and in May of that year flew over with my Wurlitzer model 200 electric piano, a brand new Yamaha digital piano, 7-piece band and road manager. We landed in Tokyo and played several cities including Fukuoka, Nagoya, Okinawa and then six closeout shows in Osaka (by now fans that had seen us earlier in the tour were flying to Osaka to watch the sold-out performances all over again - it was a fun time for Carpenters fans then)!

We get to Okinawa, where we played only one night (preceding a typhoon nonetheless), and after the performance go to the front of house to take pictures and sign autographs. On the autograph table are literally boxes of a brand new compilation album release called 22 Hits of the Carpenters, where we're asked to sign these and a lady saddles up beside me for a signed headshot and asks to take a photo. She then proceeds to tell me in her broken English how I look like I'd "lost some weight since last album and am I working on anything new?" Mind you I'm 19 years old and thinking to myself "this lady CAN'T be serious!"

Needless to say we actually got a lot of that and I will say from first-hand experience that the Japanese absolute love American talent and adore the Carpenters. We have them to thank for many of the treasures that we've been blessed with over the last 30+ years since Karen died - just a beautiful country all around.

That's a funny but very sweet story Chris! I've always thought the Japanese are very humble and gracious people. I also know they are wild about musical family acts like the Carpenters. In the 80s and 90s there was an all-girl group here in the UK called The Nolans who all happened to be sisters as well. They were hugely successful in Japan and in their heyday the scenes at Japanese airports when they landed was reminiscent of the reception the Beatles got in the sixties.

As for promotion, in the US, there are many shows he could do to promote it, magazines, radio as well. Live With Kelly, The Talk, The View, Oprah, Wendy Williams, the night talk show circuit....and he has to want to promote it, or maybe his Managers don't see the need to promote it in America....but it could be done. You see many older musicians who promote the heck out of their stuff from talk show to talk show and their albums sales do well, and gets them back in the limelight. Even with Christmas he could be promoting the Carpenters Christmas albums....there are newer generations that would love his work with the Carpenters. And once they catch a few notes of Karen's voice, they will be hooked....I am very excited about this new album RPO....it sounds so beautiful....Ticket To Ride is so magical and it takes me back to my family living room at 123 Callum Crescent, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada....back in Spring of 1988 and with headphones on, I was listening to the 8-Track THE SINGLES 1969-1973 and TICKET TO RIDE was MY song then!!! And still is. A gorgeous song, and I remember just that voice and the stacked harmonies. I thought the Carpenters were an acid rock group of the 1960's/1970's at first, judging from the tiny photo of them on the bridge, tiny photo...at first I thought it was 2 men, then I realized when I saw a bigger photo it was a lady and a man. When I saw MADE IN AMERICA inner cover photo, I thought she was Spanish and Richard was her husband, The Carpenters. Then realized later they were brother and sister....and that all the musicians in the group ( a huge group) were just Karen and Richard. Next song I fell in love with was SUPERSTAR, and I loved the mournful segueing between the Close To You intro to We've Only Just Begun...such beauty in Richard's arrangements. I am very very excited to get this new album. I actually bought two, one to give to a fellow Karen fan. But I might actually buy another 3 or 4, for Christmas gifts this year....

Note that there were 8 3-hour sessions in those 3 days, a total of 24 hours of recording.

John, I hope you will come back and be a part of this discussion even after the new music is released. Hopefully you will be able to speak freely and tell us about your experience working on this project without reservation. It is so exciting to think in a couple weeks we will be listening to a true labor of love that you had a role in!

I thought the Carpenters were an acid rock group of the 1960's/1970's at first, judging from the tiny photo of them on the bridge, tiny photo...at first I thought it was 2 men, then I realized when I saw a bigger photo it was a lady and a man. When I saw MADE IN AMERICA inner cover photo, I thought she was Spanish and Richard was her husband, The Carpenters. Then realized later they were brother and sister....and that all the musicians in the group ( a huge group) were just Karen and Richard

Just wanted to say I enjoyed and appreciated this common misconception. (Don't know if anyone thought they were an acid rock group though!)

I think it was because I always saw these large groups of people in a BAND or a GROUP and so just thought the LOGO of CARPENTERS as a group and to me, the bell bottoms and jackets and long hair spelt hippie or acid rock type group to me. I was raised in a very very (think Mennonite) conservative Christian home so even listening to Michael Jackson was taboo-ish...Rolling Stones, ACDC, MEGADEATH, OZZY OSBOURNE were all forbidden. Ha Ha my Mom separated and divorced from my dad and with her new husband they were actually worked security at a Rolling Stones concert of which my Mom now loves their music....even back in the day, it was risquƩ to sing to Abba's...Rock me, give me that kick now roll me...(as in our faith, Rock and Roll meant, first you Rock to the music or the beat, and then Rolled into bed ...with someone else)....I used to blush when singing that line. Or when Rolf kissed Liesel in THE SOUND OF MUSIC. Crazy the perceptions, but yeah I had thought Carpenters were a hard rock band or acid rock band....just from the image of the album but then when I heard THAT voice I was hooked forever...I became a fan at age 15 in 1988 so I was a late bloomer...

I'm so enjoying being drip fed these musical gems! I didn't think the 1973 version of Ticket To Ride could be improved, but after listening to this latest release, I've changed my mind, it has been improved. The piano intro no longer comes out of the left channel which always created an imbalance for me especially listening with headphones. During the start of the song when Karen starts to sing , the clarinet is used twice very softly to repeat the vocals, a lovely touch. Drums in stereo are another great addition, especially liked the drum arrangement towards the end. No reverb on the overdubbed harmonies, this really highlights how amazing their vocals blended. The chill factor right at the very end, no backing instruments , just their voices singing....Think I'm gonna be sad. One of the best examples of how Carpenters could take a song and make it their own.

As for promotion, in the US, there are many shows he could do to promote it, magazines, radio as well. Live With Kelly, The Talk, The View, Oprah, Wendy Williams, the night talk show circuit....and he has to want to promote it, or maybe his Managers don't see the need to promote it in America....but it could be done. You see many older musicians who promote the heck out of their stuff from talk show to talk show and their albums sales do well, and gets them back in the limelight. Even with Christmas he could be promoting the Carpenters Christmas albums....there are newer generations that would love his work with the Carpenters. And once they catch a few notes of Karen's voice, they will be hooked....I am very excited about this new album RPO....it sounds so beautiful....Ticket To Ride is so magical and it takes me back to my family living room at 123 Callum Crescent, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada....back in Spring of 1988 and with headphones on, I was listening to the 8-Track THE SINGLES 1969-1973 and TICKET TO RIDE was MY song then!!! And still is. A gorgeous song, and I remember just that voice and the stacked harmonies. I thought the Carpenters were an acid rock group of the 1960's/1970's at first, judging from the tiny photo of them on the bridge, tiny photo...at first I thought it was 2 men, then I realized when I saw a bigger photo it was a lady and a man. When I saw MADE IN AMERICA inner cover photo, I thought she was Spanish and Richard was her husband, The Carpenters. Then realized later they were brother and sister....and that all the musicians in the group ( a huge group) were just Karen and Richard. Next song I fell in love with was SUPERSTAR, and I loved the mournful segueing between the Close To You intro to We've Only Just Begun...such beauty in Richard's arrangements. I am very very excited to get this new album. I actually bought two, one to give to a fellow Karen fan. But I might actually buy another 3 or 4, for Christmas gifts this year....
1988...you and I were only about 25 minutes apart by car (I was on Stiles Street by Portage Avenue and Polo Park).

I live on Hargrave and Broadway now. Sadly SAM THE RECORD MAN nor is HMV around anymore....I remember being in heaven looking thru SAM THE RECORD MAN I would literally be there for half an hour or more just debating what I should buy and the first LP I bought was CLOSE TO YOU. CLOSE TO YOU, VOICE OF THE HEART and A KIND OF HUSH were and still are my FAVE albums....

Iā€™m not even in Winnipeg anymore. When I was there I wasnā€™t into Carpenters, really I was old enough where the only particular musician I recognized was Fred Penner.

I wish Iā€™d been growing up when they were an active group. It must have been great to be part of the fan club, looking forward to each new release and getting the chance to see them in concert. Same goes for ABBA. The only drawback is that the internet wasnā€™t around then, so it must have been hard for fans from one country to keep up with what they were doing in others (TV appearances, chart releases etc).

I loved opening their album covers. They came along in the heyday of creative album cover design, which were often "plussed up" for the major acts. Even if the actual front cover images or designs weren't always very creative, Carpenters still had a pretty impressive string of "plussed" album covers:

- Carpenters - folded out into a "framed photo"
- A Song For You - had a specially embossed paper cover with an end-flap, plus custom innersleeve - first album package I ever saw that was "made from recycled paper"
- Now And Then - had the triple-panel gatefold cover, custom innersleeve and custom labels on the record
- The Singles - gatefold cover, plus booklet
- Horizon - had the end-flap on the cover with the opening at the top, plus custom innersleeve, and it was cool enough to not include the logo on the front cover (a trend for major acts at that time)
- A Kind of Hush - had the famous logo printed on the inside of the album cover (I've never seen that before or since) plus the custom innersleeve and labels
- Passage - gatefold cover with extensive liner-notes (unusual for its time), and I believe that was the first time I ever saw a "plastic lined" paper innersleeve on a pop album
- Made in America - had a thicker cardboard custom innersleeve (with the photo I always thought should have gone on the actual cover)

^^I agree Mike, each album has a special quality and uniqueness. I still feel that Horizon is my favorite album cover with VOTH close behind. I also really like Passage design except it needed a photo inside. I was like where are they? Then Karen sang she no home so that made sense.

They got abducted by aliens on the day of the photo shoot!
Happy "World Contact Day!" :wink:

I loved opening their album covers. They came along in the heyday of creative album cover design, which were often "plussed up" for the major acts. Even if the actual front cover images or designs weren't always very creative, Carpenters still had a pretty impressive string of "plussed" album covers:
- Now And Then - had the triple-panel gatefold cover, custom innersleeve and custom labels on the record
)

I recall, when the album was released, our local news station featured it. I believe it was not so much as a 'review', but this is the latest release. I do recall them focusing on the album cover; showing how it opened, the photos inside, etc. I'm not an expert on album covers, but I always wondered if that design was 'new' for the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom