Cd player recommendations

Jorge

I own an old Bose Wave Music system cd player that I got on a estate sale upstate NY some years ago for an awesome price. I like the sound. But I have invested so much on my cd collection that I think it may need a better player. Is there anything you guys can recommend? I have been reading some reviews, but I would like to hear some real opinions. Thanks!

I Love my natural sound Yamaha, but they have become pricey. I usually recommend to get a decent blu-ray 4K dvd player instead. My Sony X800M2 plays just about everything, and all regions so I can watch my PAL discs from Europe on it too.
It has excellent sound reproduction. Just a suggestion. I bought a Bose with cd player for myself and my aunt a few years ago. They are pretty decent for the price. Excellent base. I mostly leave it in for my dog when I’m gone.

As above, I'd say get a decent Blu-ray player. It'll play CDs with no problem and will generally sound pretty good when hooked to an audio system. If you're interested in also MAKING CDs, I can recommend a recorder from Tascam - it will also play CDs excellently.

I have a modest Yamaha CD-S303 Single CD Player. It is on a Yamaha A-S501 BL Natural Sound Integrated Stereo Amp and I use Klipsch Speakers and have upgraded connections. This was the budgeted amount of money I was willing to spend based on my research and understanding of what I was buying.

I am thrilled with the sound that this set up produces. The better quality of the CD, the better it sounds. It took about a month or so to break in and once it did it went to amazing. I don’t burn CDs and I don't need headphones on this system. What I have are good choices for listening pleasure only. I am not a techie.

I also have an independent system for my turntable. I am working on an upgrade to my independent system for my streamers. This may not be ideal for everyone but the simplicity of it works for me.

To be of any use, we'd need to know what it's being connected to, and a budget.

I've never owned a lower-end video player that sounded all that good--the electronics in them are dirt cheap these days since most users connect them via HDMI to a TV and often, HDMI is the only output anyway. The few players with audio outputs anymore will make sound, but that's about it. I don't play anything from disc anymore so I don't follow what is available on video players.

In the past, there were "universal" players from a few manufacturers (Denon, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, Oppo, etc.) that played CD, DVD, BluRay and SACD but those have fallen by the wayside. They had better audio electronics inside and could play the DVD-Audio and Blu Ray Audio multichannel discs. There are CD/SACD players available today but I don't know of anyone still making a universal player.

If CDs are what you want to play, get a CD player. 👍

Check a site like Accesssories 4 Less--they've been in business a long time and sell closeout and refurbished electronics. They have two players at $199 (Onkyo C-7030 and Pioneer PD-10AE), the Yamaha CD-S303 for $229, a Denon DCD-600NE for $259, and an Onkyo DX-C390 6-disc carousel CD changer for $189. My preference would be the Yamaha or Denon here. CDs will sound smooth and musical through them.

The Sony has a digital out connection to my amp, or I wouldn’t have bought it. Good suggestions Rudy. That’s how I got my SugarCube. I really love that machine. About 95% pop free playback of my vinyl collection. My only complaint is I have to get up every 15 minutes to turn the record over. Lazy me.

To be of any use, we'd need to know what it's being connected to, and a budget.

I've never owned a lower-end video player that sounded all that good--the electronics in them are dirt cheap these days since most users connect them via HDMI to a TV and often, HDMI is the only output anyway. The few players with audio outputs anymore will make sound, but that's about it. I don't play anything from disc anymore so I don't follow what is available on video players.

In the past, there were "universal" players from a few manufacturers (Denon, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, Oppo, etc.) that played CD, DVD, BluRay and SACD but those have fallen by the wayside. They had better audio electronics inside and could play the DVD-Audio and Blu Ray Audio multichannel discs. There are CD/SACD players available today but I don't know of anyone still making a universal player.

If CDs are what you want to play, get a CD player. 👍

Check a site like Accesssories 4 Less--they've been in business a long time and sell closeout and refurbished electronics. They have two players at $199 (Onkyo C-7030 and Pioneer PD-10AE), the Yamaha CD-S303 for $229, a Denon DCD-600NE for $259, and an Onkyo DX-C390 6-disc carousel CD changer for $189. My preference would be the Yamaha or Denon here. CDs will sound smooth and musical through them.

Not a techie here but I googled for a list of Top CD players - and usually those are sponsored, and saw players from 200 to 7K. I would like to get speakers too, because I think it may make a difference. But again I may be wrong and a Blue Ray player would just be great as suggested. That is why I am looking for opinions from people with a more trained ear or knowledge. My budget is up to 2K, including speakers. Thanks!!

My budget is up to 2K, including speakers. Thanks!!
Off the top of my head, I'm thinking the Yamaha CD player, a Yamaha integrated amplifier, and I'd add the WiiM Pro (or Pro Plus) to add streaming capabilities, which would probably cover most of what you might need. An integrated amp will be needed to power the speakers, plus it allows you to control volume and switch inputs. If you listen to AM/FM radio, then a receiver instead of an integrated amp would be what you'd need. One of Yamaha's receivers is a "network" receiver that also offers network playback (via DLNA, I think?) as well as Bluetooth and AirPlay from a phone. No Chromecast, unfortunately. I'd still lean towards a WiiM Pro as it's more flexible and from what I've read, very easy to operate.

For speakers I've really liked the ELAC UniFi UB-5, as they were designed by Andrew Jones and have a substantial amount of bass for a small cabinet. It's a "bookshelf" speaker and would be easy to find room for it (and I would recommend a pair of speaker stands to get them up to listening height). With other bookshelf speakers, you may find you'd want a subwoofer to fill out the bass. (The ELACs might be good enough to use without a subwoofer though.)

Floorstanding speakers sound better but you'd need the room for them--many are slim enclosures so they take up little floor space, but they do like to have a little room around them. They might take up 1 to 1½ sq. ft. of floor space but would usually be about 3-4ft. tall. I like KEF's floorstanding speakers but they can cost quite a bit; same with the Focal brand. Yamaha does have a few speaker models, as does Polk. MartinLogan is a favorite of mine, but I'd have to check other online stores to see what's available.

I can list a few specific models of each later on today. But chances are, even with all these bits and pieces, it could come in way under budget, especially if using accessories4less.com.

Just tossing out a system idea here. I'm guessing you don't have an integrated amp or receiver at the moment. The integrated amp has better controls and would sound better as well; it has both analog and digital inputs. Staying within a "family" is often a good idea for components.

Yamaha prices are currently from Accessories4less.

Integrated amp: Yamaha A-S501, $399 (black) or $449 (silver)
-or-​
Receiver: Yamaha R-N303, $229 (black)

CD player: Yamaha CD-S303, $229

Streamer (optional): WiiM Pro, $149 (Amazon), connected via digital.

For speakers, the ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 is a good bet as it has a good bass response from a manageable cabinet size. (I've heard them several times at audio shows I have attended.) Best used on speaker stands, but could sit on a tabletop or shelf as well. This ELAC series (and the Debut series) was designed by Andrew Jones, formerly with KEF, TAD, Panasonic, and now MoFi Electronics. Currently $299/pair at Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B01CRYWVG2
In a floorstanding speaker, a larger version of the UB5 is the Uni-FI UF5, which can still be found for $299 each (so $598/pair). Expect a better bass response from these, but the basic "voicing" of the speaker will be similar to the UB5.

Optionally, a good subwoofer with the UB5s is another way to go, if you want to fill in the really deep bass notes. That can be a future purchase.

MartinLogan has some good speakers in their Motion line, both bookshelf and floorstanding but again, move up the line and they can be pricey. They use a unique "air motion" tweeter that others don't offer. Polk's lower end speakers aren't so good, but once you get into their more expensive lines (especially those with the ring tweeter, like the Reserve or Legend series), they tend to sound better. Focal and KEF make good sounding speakers, although like any manufacturer they have their "house" sound and their prices tend to be on the higher end.

The thing with speakers is that they are very subjective--what one person likes, another may dislike. Even within brands, there are different series and models, which makes the choice even more confusing.

The worst part is that hi-fi stores don't exist anymore, so there isn't a good way to audition them. Big box stores don't even carry the equipment but even when they did, it was a poor way to try to audition speakers. Some of the Best Buy stores (in the US) still have the Magnolia stores inside them, but a lot of their demos are likely for home theater, not two-channel audio.

The only piece of advice I can give for speakers for long-term satisfaction--get something that sounds natural. It's tempting to find something with a lot of high end or boomy bass, but in the long run those will sound tiring. If vocals are your thing, something with a smooth midrange would be best, and the top and bottom end should enhance, not overpower, the midrange.

There are incredible bargains that can be found locally if shopping for used speakers (Marketplace, Craigslist), but there is always the slight risk of drivers being blown or the cabinets being in poor condition. eBay purchases are a crap shoot, unless the eBay store is operated by the manufacturer or a known retail store. If you buy online from stores, a demo or open box deal can sometimes save a good amount of cash.

Finally, be sure to budget for speaker cables and interconnects, and speaker stands if you need them.

I still have my 2009 and 2010 Onkyo 6 disc CD and DVD Changers which play CDs CDrs and mp3 discs ( the DVD version adds the obvious DVD format) a good friend had a 1984 Onkyo CD single player that still worked fine when he passed in 2009 and I got mine after my pioneer 100 disc CD changer I had from 2003 stopped working in 2009 it served me well with good consistent daily use for 7 years I don't know if onkyo still makes CD players anymore let alone the same way but mine are still very functional

The Onkyo DX-C390 carousel changer is still available.

I still have a 100-CD Pioneer changer, but I don't think I've touched it in over a decade. I really have no use for it anymore yet, it was such a cool player that I hate to get rid of it. If I had to do it again, I'd probably buy blank CD-Rs and load it all up with compilations and use it for a "party" system. Sony had 300- and 400-CD changers but, given how many dead Sony players I accumulated over the years (I'd get a couple years out of them at the most), I wised up and never bought another Sony.

The Onkyo DX-C390 carousel changer is still available.

I still have a 100-CD Pioneer changer, but I don't think I've touched it in over a decade. I really have no use for it anymore yet, it was such a cool player that I hate to get rid of it. If I had to do it again, I'd probably buy blank CD-Rs and load it all up with compilations and use it for a "party" system. Sony had 300- and 400-CD changers but, given how many dead Sony players I accumulated over the years (I'd get a couple years out of them at the most), I wised up and never bought another
I own that Onkyo model you mentioned the DVD changer is onkyo's DV-CP706 Which I also have I have a over 10 year old Sony AV receiver which still functions beautifully some Sony electronics work long term some dont it depends on various things the components the model the vintage condition etc but I will say Onkyos have been extremely reliable for me so far

I own that Onkyo model you mentioned the DVD changer is onkyo's DV-CP706 Which I also have I have a over 10 year old Sony AV receiver which still functions beautifully some Sony electronics work long term some dont it depends on various things the components the model the vintage condition etc but I will say Onkyos have been extremely reliable for me so far
I've had decent luck with Sony's electronic items, but anything with moving parts (several CD players, laserdisc player, a MiniDisc deck and a DAT deck) has failed me. You think I would have learned. 🤷‍♂️ The Sony ES receiver I have actually sounds quite good (it was their higher-end Esprit line) and still worked the last time I had it plugged in. The Pioneers I've had were reliable, even the ancient LD-660 top-loading Laserdisc player from the mid 80s. It's a dinosaur, but it always fired up when I tried it.

I’ve also found most Sony products to be pretty good. The exceptions are their cd players for home, and the car. All junk. Broke in a year or less. The 2 dvds blu-rays have been great. The boom box stiil works, except for the cd part. AM/FM and cassette parts, and speakers are great. My 27”stereo Trinitron stiil in great condition. I haven’t used since getting my 46” Samsung in 2007. Plus it feels like it weighs about 100lbs. I can no longer pick it up, or move it. Great color, but needs one of those converter boxes to get a picture.

My 27”stereo Trinitron stiil in great condition.
Old TVs are sometimes popular among gamers, especially those who are into the older 8-bit consoles. I have an MGA (Mitsubishi) here that I don't want to put out at the curb, so that might be one way I can get rid of it.

My 1995 DENON CD player was acting up back in 2013 & 2014 because the tray was going back & fourth but no skipping!! So I bought a Marantz 5005 model since November 4, 2015 & still hasn't skip a beat BUT when I bought some Staples blank CD's, the CD seemed to skip or have a scary noise so I rerecorded with another blank CD & it plays correctly!!! Got the CD player at The Listening Room in Saginaw, Michigan!! (38 miles from my home & same place when I got the 1995 DENON model)

Back
Top Bottom