• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Christmas Album cover art

Status
Not open for further replies.
jeff604 said:
The Sony web site is showing the original blue cover art for the Christmas album. That's good news.

Not to stray off-topic, but I thought the cover art for the Christmas album is Santa Herb. ??

There were two covers for the CHRISTMAS ALBUM. They both feature the same picture of Santa Herb, but the original has the picture filling the whole cover with the album title in a stylish font. The background of the picture is blue, which is why people refer to it as the "blue" cover. On the newer cover, as you probably know, the photo is reduced and cropped to just show Herb's face, and the font is much plainer.

The back covers are different too, but feature the same photo of the band. The original cover has the photo in color with the band's autographs, where on the replacement the picture is smaller, B&W and (I think) the autographs are gone. The "Christmas Prayer" is on both covers, but is far better looking on the older cover due to the more stylish font.

The original cover is much cooler and more "TJB-ish" than the replacement, which I assume was redesigned to make it look more contemporary. So I hope they are going to use the original cover. You can see the original cover in the TJB discography here at the Corner, on page 2.

Sonymusicstore.com has The Christmas Album available for pre-order, and it's definately the original 60's cover art.

Ultimately, does it really matter which of the two appears on the cover? Rather a moot point, considering the masterful music inside.

As much as they've been trying to preserve the nostalgic quality of the albums, I think it does matter. It'll look much more at home with the other albums if they use the OLD cover. (Shout Factory readers, take note!)

BUt I'll snap up my usual 2 copies either way, even though I already have the original LP, the revised LP, the 8-track, and two copies of the original CD issue.

jeff604 said:
Sonymusicstore.com has The Christmas Album available for pre-order, and it's definately the original 60's cover art.

Let's see if this link works for it:

SME_0101_DK_034411.70Q_200x200_72dpi_RGB.jpg

It's listed at a couple other online stores...I'll wait until Amazon posts it in case the link here doesn't work.

That's good news about the cover. I'm glad Herb and Shout! are sticking with the '60s motif.

And hey, order it from Sony Music Store and you might get it in time for Christmas 2006! :rolleyes:

Harry
...who'll return to the Amazon/A&M-Corner-supporting fold, online...

[edit: split this topic off into its own thread]

Yep, the ORIGINAL C/A Cover! It just wouldn't be a "Tijuana Brass Christmas" without it! :bigsanta:

Ready with my Eggnog, online... :santa:

Dave

I like the CD version I have already (and will like the new one), but it's still not the same for me. I'd played the LP so much in my past, I just have to get out a copy of the LP with the original cover and the tan label. Doesn't seem like Christmas without doing that. :wink:

I still remember the trauma I went through with this album. I had the original LP, and when I went to get it out one Christmas, the record was broken in half! (I still don't know how it happened... I suspect one of my TJB-hating sisters, but nobody's ever admitted it). It was several years before the LP was reissued, so at the time I didn't much care what the cover looked like when it came out.

The new Shout! Factory cover looks great though.

Mike Blakesley said:
(I still don't know how it happened... I suspect one of my TJB-hating sisters, but nobody's ever admitted it).

I'm guessing they're not members here...

Harry
...taking a wild stab, online...

Nope! :laugh: I have to admit, I probably drove them crazy when I was in my early teens because I would only listen to Herb, Sergio, Baja and Sandpipers. I didn't branch out into rock'n'roll until about 1972.

Yay! They're going with the original cover art!

I think it's a good sign of more to come -- especially since the poster featured the revised cover art. If they didn't have a "good thing going" why would they take the time to "correct" a cover that otherwise would've been the end of the series???

--Mr Bill

Actually it might result in more sales. There's gotta be a lot of people out there who bought the original CD or the reissued LP, who have never seen the original cover. So it'll be a good thing all around.

The "Christmas Album" with original cover art and a couple of samples are now up at Sout! Factory's web site. Yeah baby, the original cover will be cool to have again!

David,
if it weren't for the price of gas, I'd swear it was the '60's all over again.............

I must admit I was hoping for a bonus track or two on this one. But the liner notes should be interesting reading, hopefully -- this is one album that's really never been talked about all that much.

The most obivious potential bonus would've been the Something Festive version of "Jingle Bell Rock." Alas, it's not to be...

--Mr Bill

I wonder if Herb even remembers that the SOMETHING FESTIVE version was a little different.

We do - but he likely doesn't realize it.

Harry

For one little change in the mix, it would make a poor bonus track IMHO. I'd skip it.

This is a great recording and much of the credit goes to the late great Mr. Shorty Rogers. Christmas is not Christmas without this timeless classic. I suspect this TJB album will pass on from generation, to generation. Thanks Randy for asking Herb to digitize all the great TJB recordings! Why heck, everytime Shout! Factory releases more A&M product, it does feel like Christmas. :laugh:

I wasn't sure I liked the Christmas album very well at the time -- but I'll snap it up, and buy copies for my son and close relatives. I DID like the "My Favorite Things" single, and my guess is that, with my more experienced ears, I'll greatly enjoy the whole LP. This has been exactly the case with both NINTH and BEAT OF THE BRASS -- two albums that underwhelmed me upon their original release, but have mightily impressed me in the year 2005. with respect to all other TJB albums, I loved them then, and love them now. Herb had/has impeccable musical taste, and of course talent -- with the result that his music has aged extremely well. He brought joy to millions, and continues to do so. The fact that by all accounts he is a fine and honorable man also adds something to my appreciation of his music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom