• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Christmas Portrait Redux update?

Of course, makes sense šŸ‘

Any aircon units to be worried about during these sessions? šŸ˜‚
HA! Well, as long as they keep the mics unplugged and recording heads disengaged, then no worry for any "new" AC noise! I'm sure there will be some to notch out on the masters, however. :laugh:

They're all on there. A segment from the Nutcracker medley in '84 couldn't be found in storage (the master), so Richard is planning to recreate that and edit it back into the rest of the piece. There are a couple of other slight modifications, but the bulk of it is to clean up the tracks, bring Karen out front and ditch the reverb!

You're on it, @newvillefan! :)
So essentially it'll be a double set of both albums in their entirety, is that correct?

From my understanding, yes. However Iā€™m not completely certain whether the sequencing will be identical.

Wishful thinking but if we get clean (cold opening and ending) versions of tracks like ā€˜Sleigh Rideā€™, ā€˜What Are You Doing New Yearā€™s Eveā€™, ā€˜Do You Hear What I Hearā€™ and ā€˜Home For The Holidaysā€™, Iā€™ll be ecstatic!

These would be the digital, as that would be the source necessary in order to properly remove the unnecessary noise and flaws from the recordings.
Wouldnā€™t he be getting the analogs re-transferred to modern digital, considering that aside from the Merry Christmas Darling, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town & The Christmas Song masters for the SACD and the two Singles collections, none of the Christmas multi-tracks have been touched/remixed since 1996 when the Winter Wonderland Medley was remixed for the Collection (and the Silent Night, Jingle Bells on the Japanese set were just the 2-track masters from CPSE and CC)? 24-bit recording wasnā€™t added to Pro Tools until 1997, and 20-Bit audio wasnā€™t available until ADAT was released in 1992. Otherwise any other Christmas release was sourced from the 2-track album masters. So unless Iron Mountain did a bunch of retransfers to a 24-bit medium in the last 30 years, (I would assume that, since nothing was being done with the Christmas tapes, upgrading their digital backups was probably a low priority for Iron Mountain), any digital copies of the Christmas multitracks were probably on 16-bit/48 DAT or 16/20-bit/48 ADAT from the early-90ā€™s.

Wouldnā€™t he be getting the analogs re-transferred to modern digital

This is why I originally asked the question. If heā€™s going back and redoing everything, why not redigitise from the original source tapes to start afresh with the best possible source, especially if the majority of the multis still exist?

This is why I originally asked the question. If heā€™s going back and redoing everything, why not redigitise from the original source tapes to start afresh with the best possible source, especially if the majority of the multis still exist?
I believe thatā€™s what they did. He started working on this a couple of years ago.

If Richard needs a small, highly select, extremely well informed, and totally impartial (Karen who?) set of discriminating music lovers to "test-listen" to his preliminary production and to provide encouraging and instructional feedback, I herewith volunteer...

If Richard needs a small, highly select, extremely well informed, and totally impartial (Karen who?) set of discriminating music lovers to "test-listen" to his preliminary production and to provide encouraging and instructional feedback, I herewith volunteer...

You would @JohnFB, thereā€™s no doubling on Karenā€™s leads on this album (teasing of course) šŸ™‚

Such exciting news to hear that Richard is working toward this again! It will be heaven to hear "Christmas Waltz", "Have Yourself.." etc. get those clean, pure treatments. Thank you, Richard, and thanks to Chris.
Not only a Christmas wish come true, but a lifetime treasure. The greatest holiday albums in history.

I know we are pushing your patience here Chris ... but I guess we are all wondering if this is intended for Christmas 2023 ... :shh:

You would @JohnFB, thereā€™s no doubling on Karenā€™s leads on this album (teasing of course) šŸ™‚
Yes, and I'd do my best to see it stayed that way! :razz:

Seriously, the removal of all or most of the reverb is also a giant step in the direction of naturalness and purity of sound quality - something her voice not only deserved, but demanded. This should always have been sacred, untouchable.

Last edited:
Yes, and I'd do my best to see it stayed that way! :razz:

Seriously, the removal of all or most of the reverb is also a giant step in the direction of naturalness and purity of sound quality - something her voice not only deserved, but demanded. This should always have been sacred, untouchable.
Well, and like Richard has stated off the record many times, "Her voice didn't need it."

Speaking of reverb - I've always thought that Karen's rendition of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" on the CP album was one of her very finest recorded efforts ever, and one that set a new standard for that beautifully nostalgic song that no one else will ever equal - yet, it "seems" to have just a tad too much reverb on it - not enough to spoil my enjoyment, but still...does anyone else hear this?

Speaking of reverb - I've always thought that Karen's rendition of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" on the CP album was one of her very finest recorded efforts ever, and one that set a new standard for that beautifully nostalgic song that no one else will ever equal - yet, it "seems" to have just a tad too much reverb on it - not enough to spoil my enjoyment, but still...does anyone else hear this?

Yes Iā€™ve always heard the reverb on that track but I think it complements her voice perfectly, especially when she belts out that last ā€œhang your shining star above the highest boughā€. Just beautiful. One of the few times the reverb doesnā€™t get in the way at all.

Yes Iā€™ve always heard the reverb on that track but I think it complements her voice perfectly, especially when she belts out that last ā€œhang your shining star above the highest boughā€. Just beautiful. One of the few times the reverb doesnā€™t get in the way at all.
This was Karen's favorite as well. A real gem ...

Yes, exactly!

I think this is also the song during which one can hear her vibrato best -it is almost always present on most other songs, but subtle (which is the best way for it to be for any singer) - but on this song when she holds those long notes on "bough" and at the end of the phrase "from now on our troubles will be miles away" - it really stands out in a stunning way...

I listen to this all year round ( just like MCD) and have even learned to play a simplified version of it on my Yamaha Digital Piano - her vocal of it is always running through my mind as I play...

Back
Top Bottom