• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Christmas Portrait Redux update?

I have a dear friend who is a newspaper journalist that did a story on me several years back and my affiliation with the Carpenters. This is her absolute favorite as well, as I remember her telling me that it's not until she hears this one each year that the Christmas season becomes "official." Since making that comment years ago, I send it to her every year right around the end of November, early December.

Now, this has become one of my favorites. It really grows on you (assuming it doesn't bite one completely upon first listen)!

@Chris May
I’m still remembering that there were three things upcoming from the Carpenters

Is the Christmas album #3 or is there something else?
There was something else, but since it hasn't been discussed again as to whether it would ultimately happen, unfortunately I can't really divulge any of the specifics here (since things could change LOL).

Yes I’ve always heard the reverb on that track but I think it complements her voice perfectly, especially when she belts out that last “hang your shining star above the highest bough”. Just beautiful. One of the few times the reverb doesn’t get in the way at all.
Totally agree with you there, Stephen. At times the reverb really added to the beauty of her qualities and that is certainly one of them. I'm in awe when I listen to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Glad to know that it's a favorite of so many of you as well. I've always thought that it should have been a single instead of "The Christmas Song".. Not that it matters these days because I continue to hear both during the holiday season, but I hear "Have Yourself.." played much more. In fact, this past year I heard it at least a dozen times or more on the radio. Even a family member remarked "This one again?! Wow." :laugh:
In my opinion, the recording is Karen's masterpiece.

On this reverb thing—even the updated mixes have *some* reverb on them.

Remember, vocal booths within the recording studios are not "natural" either. Some amount of ambience has to be added back in in order to create realistic sounding acoustics. This was the whole reason echo chambers and reverb plates were invented to begin with. :)

On this reverb thing—even the updated mixes have *some* reverb on them.

Remember, vocal booths within the recording studios are not "natural" either. Some amount of ambience has to be added back in in order to create realistic sounding acoustics. This was the whole reason echo chambers and reverb plates were invented to begin with. :)

I thought so.. Thanks for confirming that, Chris. :)
It's those mixes from the 90's with the extra reverb that is a bit overdone to some. Quite a difference when compared to the album's original release, as we know.
There's a couple of songs that I think the extra reverb compliments it though. One of them as we were discussing is "Have Yourself..", and the other is "Ave Maria".

All the tracks on "An Old Fashioned Christmas" had the perfect amount of reverb to me. They didn't sound quite as dry as the original "Christmas Portrait", yet they were not overdone like the 90's "Christmas Collection" mixes. Something like "Little Altar Boy" is a great example. To my ears, It's just right. Glorious in performance, production, and mix. And that ending line of "let me hear you pray.." and the slight echo that happens during the word 'pray'? Wow. Chillingly beautiful.

I thought so.. Thanks for confirming that, Chris. :)
It's those mixes from the 90's with the extra reverb that is a bit overdone to some. Quite a difference when compared to the album's original release, as we know.
There's a couple of songs that I think the extra reverb compliments it though. One of them as we were discussing is "Have Yourself..", and the other is "Ave Maria".

All the tracks on "An Old Fashioned Christmas" had the perfect amount of reverb to me. They didn't sound quite as dry as the original "Christmas Portrait", yet they were not overdone like the 90's "Christmas Collection" mixes. Something like "Little Altar Boy" is a great example. To my ears, It's just right. Glorious in performance, production, and mix.
I completely agree!

And I wasn't directing those comments at you specifically. It was more to the group discussion earlier regarding the extreme use (or underuse) of reverb on lead vocals in general. :)

I'm in awe when I listen to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Glad to know that it's a favorite of so many of you as well. I've always thought that it should have been a single...
In my opinion, the recording is Karen's masterpiece.
There have been hundreds of recordings of HYAMLC by some great artists over the decades, some of them really good - but none are in this elevated class or category...she owns this song.

As far as it being Karen's masterpiece goes, it is extremely hard to argue against that assertion - let me just say this: from the standpoint of strictly her recorded vocal performace she never sang anything better. The thing is that there are several other songs that you could say the same thing about. So, which one is her masterpiece depends on which one you're listening to at the moment. It's a small set of songs though, and HYAMLC is in there...

There have been hundreds of recordings of HYAMLC by some great artists over the decades, some of them really good - but none are in this elevated class or category...she owns this song.

As far as it being Karen's masterpiece goes, it is extremely hard to argue against that assertion - let me just say this: from the standpoint of strictly her recorded vocal performace she never sang anything better. The thing is that there are several other songs that you could say the same thing about. So, which one is her masterpiece depends on which one you're listening to at the moment. It's a small set of songs though, and HYAMLC is in there...
Totally agree with this! It really does showcase the very best parts of Karen's voice and phrasing.

I appreciate that Karen recorded the opening verse of the songs "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "The Christmas Song", and "White Christmas". That makes those recordings even more special.

I've always wondered though, was there a reason why they didn't do the same with "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve"? Or did Karen actually record the verse, but Richard left it off of AOFC for some reason? Any insights @Chris May ?

I appreciate that Karen recorded the opening verse of the songs "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "The Christmas Song", and "White Christmas". That makes those recordings even more special.

I've always wondered though, was there a reason why they didn't do the same with "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve"? Or did Karen actually record the verse, but Richard left it off of AOFC for some reason? Any insights @Chris May ?
Did you mean to say "Do You Hear What I Hear?"

No. "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" has an opening verse, like the other songs I mentioned. I wondered if Karen recorded that verse, and if so, why it wasn't used on the AOFC album.
AH! To my knowledge it was done exactly as we hear it. I'll look at the contracts again, but I believe the entire score was completely finished in '78.

AH! To my knowledge it was done exactly as we hear it. I'll look at the contracts again, but I believe the entire score was completely finished in '78.
The whole piece was recorded in December, 1977. I don't believe anything was left out of the recording, indicating what we're hearing is what was recorded and nothing less.

No. "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" has an opening verse, like the other songs I mentioned. I wondered if Karen recorded that verse, and if so, why it wasn't used on the AOFC album.
And to theorize further, the opening verse was likely ditched because they recorded this one for the first Christmas special. "White Christmas" already has the extended opening, so it may have been a matter of judgement in the event that both songs stay in, that one of them needed to be shortened for time's sake.

And to theorize further, the opening verse was likely ditched because they recorded this one for the first Christmas special. "White Christmas" already has the extended opening, so it may have been a matter of judgement in the event that both songs stay in, that one of them needed to be shortened for time's sake.
That makes perfect sense. I didn't know that it was originally intended for the first Christmas special.

When it comes to the album cover design I hope Richard will use the official "CarpenterS" logo instead of the lettering that was on the the previous version. I've always disliked the script that was used and I am aware of the official logo that is on the small yellow note sheet above Santa's head.

When it comes to the album cover design I hope Richard will use the official "CarpenterS" logo instead of the lettering that was on the the previous version. I've always disliked the script that was used and I am aware of the official logo that is on the small yellow note sheet beside Santa.
I think they were trying to keep in line with the Rockwell theme. I kind of like it myself, but agree with you Jim. The logo is hardly visible and missed.

When it comes to the album cover design I hope Richard will use the official "CarpenterS" logo instead of the lettering that was on the the previous version. I've always disliked the script that was used and I am aware of the official logo that is on the small yellow note sheet above Santa's head.
Forget the logo! How about a better overall artwork than what Christmas Collection, since next to both Christmas Portrait and An Old-Fashioned Christmas, the CC art wasn’t as classy, and nowhere did it even feature the artwork from either album. The CC art looked like a rug-hooking (of a photo from the same session that the photo on the grey cover of the 1978 Canadian Carpenters Collection and the later Icon came from) with Rankin/Bass snowflakes (think opening to Frosty The Snowman (1969)) on the cover. They could’ve reused the AOFC artwork, or created better artwork that was more Christmasy. And this new packaging would look better with Christmasy artwork.

If this, as well as so many others, was recorded in Dec '77, surely it wouldn't have been for the special since that aired on Dec 9th and I'm guessing all selections for tv were in the can by early November to give them time to mix the selections and then to actually film it, edit it etc.

When they went back into the studio in Dec wouldn't the tracks have been specifically for the album?

If this, as well as so many others, was recorded in Dec '77, surely it wouldn't have been for the special since that aired on Dec 9th and I'm guessing all selections for tv were in the can by early November to give them time to mix the selections and then to actually film it, edit it etc.

When they went back into the studio in Dec wouldn't the tracks have been specifically for the album?
No, because the album wasn’t even a “thing” yet as this was ‘77. Richard had to go into a detox facility in November which pushed everything back. They were right down to the wire in the studio between November and December to get this stuff done.

I’m going to dig a little deeper on this. The album version of “White Christmas” was cut in early-December, ‘77, so the only other thing I can think of is that they cut it twice. But I don’t have any record of that.

I’m going to dig a little deeper on this. The album version of “White Christmas” was cut in early-December, ‘77, so the only other thing I can think of is that they cut it twice. But I don’t have any record of that.
Cheers Chris....nothing like late June for some yuletide cheer.

Back
Top Bottom