1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!

Cinco de Mayo

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by Harry, May 5, 2004.

1. Harry

Harry Charter Member Moderator Thread Starter

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone! :bandit:

Isn't it great that they named a holiday after a Tijuana Brass record?

Harry
    ...silly, online...

Bobberman likes this.
  2. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Well-Known Member Moderator

Sounds like a good time to break out the Going Places!!! CD. I actually don't listen to "Cinco de Mayo" that much, but it's a good little party tune. I'll even have a Tecate to help with the celebration! :cheers:

Capt. Bacardi
    NP: TJB - Going Places!!!

toeknee4bz likes this.
  3. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Hmmm...wondered how I ended up having Chinese Food today?? :goofygrin:

I'll have to do Taco Bell tomorrow! :badteeth:

Dave

...getting ready to break out my Herb Alpert Stuff, online...:cool:

4. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    Wouldn't you know it? It's also the fifth of May! :laugh: :D

About all I could do to celebrate today was get an order of nachos at Max & Erma's, since at 10:30PM the Mexican places were closed. :sad:

5. "Cinco De Mayo" was the second tune that hooked me to the TJB when I was 7 years old. I didn't even know that it was a Mexican holiday until many years later. I can still remember the ecstasy opening my first copy of !!GOING PLACES!! on my 7th birthday and discovering that both "Tijuana Taxi" and "Cinco De Mayo" were on the album. "Spanish Flea" was the third TJB tune I fell in love with. Happy Cinco De Mayo to all and Herb, thanks for the music and the memories.

David,
    NP- "Going Places" by Herb and Co.

6. Harry

Harry Charter Member Moderator Thread Starter

7. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

I once made a list of all the songs I had that were named after days of the week. TJB hit a few - "Monday Monday," "Blue Sunday," and I think almost all the other days are represented by other artists --
    "Saturday In the Park," ""Tuesday Afternoon," "Wednesday Morning 3 A.M.," and so on. I don't think I found a "Thursday" song, or at least I don't remember one.

Now I need to list the songs that are named after calendar dates...this one could start the list, but I think it'd be a shorter list!

8. DAN BOLTON

DAN BOLTON Active Member

How about Thursday's Child by David Bowie?

Dan

Rudy likes this.
  9. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    Jeez this is an outdated thread. I haven't touched chain restaurants in over a decade. :laugh: (Especially a dump like M&E!)

10. DeeInKY

DeeInKY Well-Known Member

How about bands named for calendar dates?