• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎄 Holidays! Coltrane's Favorite Things for KMart

jimac51

This season's KMart holiday TV ad purposely has the look of a Target ad and uses jazz soprano saxophonist John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things"( original studio recording,1960) as its music bed. Has any piece of Coltrane music ever been used in such a mass market medium? I suspect that for millions this is the first time they have ever heard anything by John Coltrane. Its likely that this piece that introduced many jazz fans to Coltrane's sound in the first place(John's album featuring vocalist Johnny Hartman is probably the other door opener). And I suspect there may be a few Cornerites here that may be in the group of millions who are listening to this unusual sound for the first time. Since this is a Christmas themed spot and I would like to hear from as many Cornerites who might not regularly visit the jazz forum,I thought I would put the topic here. In any event-if you've seen this spot-any reactions? I'm not into polls-more interested in your personal comments-positive,negative or so what. Mac

hey jimac i did hear the 'trane k-mart commercial,and i've gotta tell you: I LOVE IT!!! i think it's great,and not only does it expose the world to a different take on a standard,but it also exposes the world to good old fashioned jazz,and to the genius of john coltrane. i can't think offhand where i've heard trane's music before in a commercial setting,but i believe i've heard "naima"in some advertisements;just can't place where.i suppose k-mart wanted to do something a little hip than the usual101 srtrings orchestra setting,and trane's version is one of more popular versions of my favorite things(i undrestand it was a hit when it came out)so that why they probably did it.and isn't it something that wes montgomery got "dissed" for doing pop tunes,but here is trane recording a song from the sound of music,and not one peep from the critics?(don't get me wrong;i'm not knocking trane;i'm knocking the critics!)anyway,yeah i think it was a brilliant idea on k-mart's part! happy holidays,all you a&mers out there!!!

I know some jazz diehards might be screaming "sell out" at this point. But honestly, jazz is not a healthy genre, commercially, and in my opinion ANY exposure of jazz to the masses is a good thing. If it wins a few fans for Coltrane or jazz on the whole, that's all for the better. Plus, it's adds a touch of class to a commercial (although I've never seen this one) to have better music, vs. some electronic pounding beat box and a batallion of synthesizers.

It seems to me that jazz music has a way of representing the "flavor" of Christmas better than a lot of other genres do. I really am at a loss as to say why I feel this way, but it really seems to be true. Most of my favorite Christmas music is either jazz or '50's oriented, with a little country thrown in...at the Cracker Barrel, our Christmas muzak features a LOT of jazz and '50's era tunes mixed in with some old Country standards. I'm talkin' Nat King Cole, Mel Torme, Judy Garland, Brenda Lee along with Gene Autrey. Of course; The Carpenters are in the mix, as well. Coltrane isn't on the list, but Glenn Miller is. The music is DEFINITELY classy...

I think that Christmas music as a whole really seems to lend itself to jazz treatment. I doubt if we'll ever hear Nelly or Eminem rapping Silent Night.

Dan, wondering if anyone has a rap Christmas album out, but hoping they don't...

One scenario that I imagine is someone walking into a real record store and asking about the song,buying the much anthologized Atlantic studio version and then listening to the full fourteen minutes after hearing the thirty seconds in the commercial-oh,to be a fly on the wall. Though I usually don't play this as a Christmas song,I have strung up Christmas tree lights while listening to this cut over and over-the groove is helpful to me while doing such a tedious chore. My ex-spouse was listening in another room and wanted to string me up(one more reason reason why she is my ex). Glazing over the AMG Allmusic site,I see that John recorded this on the LIVE IN JAPAN album and it clocks in just under an hour-now there are some serious "Things" that were his favorites! Mac

Well, only a jazz buff/Trane fan would know it's him, unless there's a direct credit in the ad, which is doubtful.

Doesn't bug me that he's featured in a TV commerical--don't watch enough TV to be bugged--just skeptical that it'll make any difference, or get novices to check Coltrane out.

:ed:

Back
Top Bottom