Continuing the Carpenters Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyB

I just want to say that I really love being a part of this forum. I never really knew before how much love and admiration there was out there for these two. And I can only say, that seeing that I never really appreciated their talent until after Karen's passing, that I am honored to be a part of this group.
It's funny, I've been reading and hearing about how much more could be done to preserve Karen's legacy since her passing; and I must admit, I've been one of those. But, we must take stock on what has been given us. First of all, Richard gave us Voice Of The Heart, a truly great assembly of songs from Karen's last recordings plus a number of fine performances from their previous sessions. Then we got An Old Fashion Christmas; granted not the greatest of Christmas albums, but some great songs of what was left that Karen had to offer. The Yesterday Once More compilation was a huge success. Richard's Time was not the worst thing that could have ha Mamma Miappened, and Lovelines finally gave us a taste of Karen's solo work along with a great selection of previously rare and unavailable songs. Then we were finally blessed with the official release of Karen's solo album. A multitude of compilations and the As Time Goes By featuring much of their great television performances. And, now, we get The Complete Singles. We really have been truly blessed with the legacy that the Carpenters have provided us.
So, is there anything more that can be done to preserve their legacy? Well, a couple things come to mind:
I can't help but think about the stage show Mamma Mia featuring a good deal of great ABBA songs, and how this appeared to rejuvenate a renewed interest in ABBA music. Their album sales began to rise again, and even some of their songs re-charted. Something similar could be done with the Carpenters music.
How about the Beatles' Love. This album featured many of their songs featured in a newly remixed format.
This, also, was hugely successful. There are many things that can be done with only the right kind of direction.

I do think sometimes we are not grateful enough for all that has been released from the vaults since 1983. It's an impressive set of albums when you think that he could have closed the door completely on any more releases. It's a testament to his love for his sister and dedication to her legacy that he kept going.

There aren't many acts that have gone on to release this much once they have disbanded or come to an end for whatever reason.

We, the fans, are the torchbearers now. We need to make sure that the Carpenters' name doesn't fall entirely to the tragedy that befell one of the greatest singers of a generation -- both Karen and Richard deserve to be remembered for their contribution to popular music and the wonderful music they made. I am honored to be a part of the force.

Harry put together a photo collage of all the CDs released since Karen passed away, maybe Harry could post it as I can't remember where I saw it before. It was impressive since Richard could have easily stopped after VOTH.

Montage1.jpg
Montage2.jpg
Montage3.jpg
51AX8ixn9AL._AA160_.jpg
upload_2015-12-2_20-33-10.jpeg

Updated to include last two.

That's it, thanks Harry.

It really puts things into perspective when you see it like this, Richard has done a lot for the fans, it's normal that we still want more, we all miss Karen's voice but this mural shows just how much Richard has kept the legacy going since 1983. I still think there may be some more surprises still to come, hey look at this last release none of us saw that coming, huh?

I am so thankful for each "new" Carpenters song Richard gives us from the days of Karen and Richard. I even like each remix, for it feels I hear each song from another perspective, as I do when I purchase a new set of speakers, or new equipment. I yearn for that one or two more that may still come! In my head and heart, each song is number 1! They have a special formula tied with the voice of the century. Of all the "new" ones, I have to say that the bright fresh arrangement around Karen's vocals in Tryin' To Get The Feeling, is my favorite (I don't think we would have heard it like this in 1975, so I am thankful it did not get this arrangement until 20 years later), with the jewels in As Time Goes By, next, and then Honolulu City Lights. But, what tops it all are the ones of Karen in An Old Fashioned Christmas. As much as I like Karen's solo effort, without Richard's added treatment, they would not sound as good as they do. With all of this said, I can't imagine not being able to have all these in my Carpenters Collection! They are a tie to my emotional life line. That may sound crazy, but my souls loves to swim through the lush sounds of Karen's voice in newly mixed or remixed songs that Richard has given us over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom