• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Curry Tjader's Bass Marimba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bass Marimba

I was not able to find a "forum" or much other info on Curry Tjader. He is listed as playing a Bass Marimba for Baja Marimba Band, and the Julius Wechter site says "they had to climb a ladder" to play it. I was told by the people at Deagan (about 1978 or so) that Curry's Bass Marimba "was the first Deagan Bass Marimba made," and that it was one of three that had accoustic resonators (all later ones had transducer pickups) . I bought new in 1979, and still have, one of the Deagan amplified Bass Marimbas. I'd like to find photos of Curry's instrument, just for the "record" of seeing what the accoustic instruments looked like. Also, does anyone know what became of Curry's Bass Marimba?

Curry Tjader passed away in the year 2001. That's about all I know. I think he was at the first Julius Wechter Tribute, wasn't he?

Seeing that he passed away in 1999, I doubt he would have attended either!

Curry was honored at the Glendale tribute, along with other former "Baja" musicians or A&Mers who had passed away-Lew McCreary, Bud Coleman, and Nick Ceroli. Curry passed away January 16, 2001, in Scottsdale, Arizona, long before the 2002 tribute concert.

Caio,
DJ
:santa:

Rudy said:
Seeing that he passed away in 1999, I doubt he would have attended either!

It would have been Gross if he had been there! :wink: (a little poke in Steve Gross's ribs, there)

--Mr Bill
with fond memories of the Wechter tribute...

I actually heard of Curry's passing from Cal Tjader's son (went by "Sonny Boy" on the Cal Tjader forum, which was also one of the first songs Cal Tjader recorded on his first album for Fantasy)...quite sure he mentioned it was 1999, but it could have been 2001. My memory ain't what it used to be. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom