• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎄 Holidays! Did Al Hirt ever have an RCA Christmas Album?

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I thought that Al Hirt may have had a Christmas album out on RCA at one time. Anyone know? Nothing comes up on CD, except on some unfamiliar label called Delta.

He sure did!

It was called The Sound of Christmas and was issued on RCA Victor LPM-3417 (mono) and LSP-3417 (stereo) in 1965. There was even a single from it, "Nutty Jingle Bells"/ "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town" (RCA Victor 47-8706).

An abridged reissue came out in 1972 under the title Have a Merry Little (RCA Camden CAS-2573). Later still, this same compilation came out on Pickwick ACL-7078.

Nine of the songs from the original album are on CD under the name Have a Merry Little Christmas on Laserlight (Delta) 21 723.

A year earlier, Al recorded "Hooray for Santa Claus"/""White Christmas" on a 45 (RCA Victor 47-8478). The A-side was the song from the immortal bad movie Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. Neither of these songs is on the above Christmas album.

Finally, Al & Ann-Margret's version of "Baby It's Cold Outside" comes from a duet album the two recorded in 1964 called Beauty and the Beard (RCA Victor LPM-2690 mono, LSP-2690 stereo).

Interesting, Tim...thanks! I may have to go vinyl hunting for these, including the 45, and make my own "album" out of it. Too bad. RCA's missing out on this one, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom