• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

did sergio sing this????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

apple

ok so i heard this song on an "oldies" radio station and i was told by someone that Sergio Mendez sang it...so here I am asking if this is true.... if it is ....can someone please tell me the name of the song and stuff....

the lyrics that i have are....

"your love is the key to my fortress,
it has the power of magic
it is the key to my heart"

so....i am waiting hoping that someone will be able to tell me who sang this if not sergio....

thanks in advance....apple.

As many of you can attest, that song is called "Your Smile" and it was recorded by Sergio Mendes (although I don't recall him singing it....). The music, I believe, is Dori Caymmi; it was also recorded by Kevyn Lettau and Sarah Vaughan (produced by Sergio as well). Others have covered it, but off the top of my head, I don't remember who......

The song "Your Smile" was recorded for Sergio's BRASIL '86 album, on his second "tour of duty" at A&M Records. It wasn't sung by Sergio, but by his wife, Gracinha Leporace.

The album can be somewhat difficult to track down - especially on CD where it fetches big bucks since it's been out of print for a long time. Best bet is used vinyl - try eBay or Gemm.

sp5135.jpg

Harry

thanks Harry...i still can't seem to find the track anywhere....

i tried everywhere....even the "file sharing programs" .....and i am coming up empty.....sigh!!!!!!!!!!

but thank you for the info ....i hope to find it sometime soon....it's a surprise for my boyfriend.....

*smile*

apple....

Apple, you're lucky! Up here in Pennsylvania, I have never heard "Your Smile" play on the local radio stations. But I do have all 3 recordings of the song though. Sarah Vaughn, Kevyn Lettau , & Sergio Mendes.My favorite version is Kevyn Lettau's. On her version, you can hear Yutaka play the koto which is a japanese instrument. Dori Caymmi did compose the music while Tracy Mann wrote the lyrics.

cortnee i don't think my boyfriend should read this...he might get upset....saying some people always have what he wants....lol....

anyway..i do hope to one day have it for him so he can be surprised...

apple.

Harry said:
The song "Your Smile" was recorded for Sergio's BRASIL '86 album, on his second "tour of duty" at A&M Records. It wasn't sung by Sergio, but by his wife, Gracinha Leporace.

Hereby the album credits about the song YOUR SMILE:

Music by Dori Caymmi and lyrics by Paolo Cesar Pinheiro,
English lyrics by Ina Wolf.

Vocals by Gracinha Leporace,
Background vocals by Siedah Garret, Kate Markowitz and Joe Pizzulo.

Synclavier and keyboards Sergio Mendes and Peter Wolf.
Acoustic guitar by Dori Caymmi, guitar by Dan Huff ( a Soundgarden bandmember).
Bass by Alphonso Johnson.

Nice witty song, no live percussion or live drums on this song the percussion and drum sounds created from the Synclavier a must
En Vogue syntheziser/workstation keyboard from New England Digital Co. at the time along with its competetive Fairlight-syntheziser system highly used at recordings.
Keyboardist/producer George Duke used it a lot for his productions at albums from Dianne Reeves, Deniece Williams and other R&B singers in the "80s as well at his own albums.

Sergio Mendes IMHO used the Synclavier once at the Brasil 86 album.
I obtained the LP as well as the CD in 1986 from A&M/Polygram Holland with the pre-and suffix number A&M 395 135-2.
This album celebrated Sergio's 20 years as recording artist in the Brasil 66, 77, 88 formula.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
Wasn't Dann Huff a member of Giant, not Soundgarden? (both A&M acts, however...).

Good memory!; Dann Huff (as well as his brother David) were in Giant - best known for their early-'90s Top 40 power ballad "I'll See You in My Dreams." Wow, it's been too long since I last heard that one!

Jeff F.

Are we becoming a different thread?......Dann Huff was a session guitarist in the 80's and 90's who played on hundreds (at least) of pop records. He, his brother David (drummer), Mike Brignardello (bass) and Alan Pasqua (keyboards) formed a Journey-sort-of power rock band called Giant that did two albums, the first on A&M. Since then, he moved to Nashville and became a huge produccer there (Faith Hill, Lonestar, and many others). Also, he was a member of the Christian band Whiteheart before he moved to LA.

apple said:
i never heard ot Dann Huff....ot "I'll see you in my dreams"....guess I have to add that to my "to get" list

It's a pretty good one as far as '90s power-ballads go. And, actually, you may be familiar with it already. I didn't think myself that I had heard the record before when I first read about Giant, but when I "finally heard it" and got to the chorus, I went, "Oh, wait! I remember hearing this one!". :laugh: :tongue:

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
Are we becoming a different thread?...... [Huff] moved to Nashville and became a huge producer there (Faith Hill, Lonestar, and many others).

And quite a great producer at that! Faith Hill's Huff-produced "Let Me Let Go" is easily my favorite record of hers.

Now to get this thread back on track somehow ... :laugh:
What were we talking about, anyway? Ah, yes! "Your Smile" ... :D
Incidentally, if the other names on the album credits for "Your Smile" look familiar, it may be because Peter Wolf (not to be confused with the J. Geils frontman) and wife Ina Wolf were also responsible for writing the Starship hit "Sara."

Jeff F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom