• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

DID YOU KNOW? LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
I was tempted to call this topic "Did You Know -- WRONG AGAIN!" but thought better of it...

The "Did You Know" that popped up this morning made me laugh, though:

Did You Know said:
Did You Know? Due to their almost similar-sounding names and same choice in instruments, Ameriachi purveyor Herb Alpert and "Honey In The Horn" New Orleans-flavored trumpet player Al Hirt are sometimes confused for each other.

As I thought about it I realized there's a ton of differences between the two... Okay, maybe not literally a ton (more like a couple hundred pounds) but...

One married a hottie, the other married a Sergio Mendes' vocalist.

One stopped playing for a few years after catching a brick in the horn, while the other stopped playing for a few years after becoming "enemies" with his horn.

Both did songs about food -- "Cotton Candy" and "Java" for one and an LP's worth (Whipped Cream & Other Delights) for the other...

In common they were both married twice, had children with both wives, though two of Al's children preceded him in death.

Both were routinely top contenders in the Playboy music poll (not that Mr Bill condones reading Playboy)

Herb went to Al's stomping ground of New Orleans for the Beat Of The Brass special. Al went to Herb's stomping ground of Los Angeles for numerous TV appearances.

Curiously there are no reported sitings of the two of them together. Conspiracy? I think not!

--Mr Bill
feeling silly on a Monday Morning

Also, Herb recorded a song that was turned down by Al ( Whipped Cream ) while Al did covers of "Lonely Bull" and "Rise" during the 1970s. Also the bit that Jose Jiminez did on Hollywood Palace where he presented Herb with an award meant for Al Hirt to which Herb says "Do I look like a 250 pound man with a beard?" Jose replies "Better for your health and you look better without it".

David,
NP Whipped Cream By Herb and the boys............

Whew, thank goodness I don't read Playboy. I only look at the pictures occasionally.
JB

Another factoid about Mr. Hirt: He was a featured performer on the 1971 TV series Make Your Own Kind Of Music – on which the Carpenters (who recorded for the label Mr. Alpert co-founded) were also featured. Speaking of which, Mr. Alpert also made a guest appearance on said program.

Then again, one could always wonder if there's a family connection between Lani Hall and Monty Hall...asking such a question certainly couldn't "Hirt" :tongue:

Jon

...with too much time on his hands, online...

Didn't Nick Ceroli play the drums for Al Hirt after the TJB disbanded?

BTW, my father knew a guy where he worked that went to high school with Al Hirt, and even played in the same high-school band...he even sat higher chair than Al did, but Al went on to be the musician...go figure...

Dan

I'm getting a bit off subject here, but just saw a "City Confidential" show on A&E the other day about the shooting of Charlie Miner of A&M records. His former wife was telling a story about being at the A&M studios one day and stopping to talk to Herb Alpert, Charlie Miner spotted her and was instantly attracted, so he yelled to Herb "Herbie, your wifes on the phone!"

brasil_nut said:
Then again, one could always wonder if there's a family connection between Lani Hall and Monty Hall...asking such a question certainly couldn't "Hirt" :tongue:

I don't know about that . . . but I did read somewhere that actress Joanna Gleason is Monty Hall's daughter. Besides, according to IMDb, Monty Hall's birth name is Maurice Halprin -- and he hails from Canada. :o So I doubt there's any relation or connection between him and Lani Hall.

:D I really meant this more as a play on words. I was responding to the silly comments made above. As in, "I didn't think it would 'Hirt' to ask such a question..." Then again, we could always wonder...

Jon

...silly as can be, online...

cakeicer said:
I'm getting a bit off subject here, but just saw a "City Confidential" show on A&E the other day about the shooting of Charlie Miner of A&M records. His former wife was telling a story about being at the A&M studios one day and stopping to talk to Herb Alpert, Charlie Miner spotted her and was instantly attracted, so he yelled to Herb "Herbie, your wifes on the phone!"

There was a "Behind The Music" episode about Charlie Minor as well. And Claudine Longet's shooting of Spider Sabich was featured on A&E's "City Confidential" this past weekend.

Capt. Bacardi

brasil_nut said:
:D I really meant this more as a play on words. I was responding to the silly comments made above. As in, "I didn't think it would 'Hirt' to ask such a question..." Then again, we could always wonder...

*GROAN* Man, that Hirt So Bad... :nut:

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
And Claudine Longet's shooting of Spider Sabich was featured on A&E's "City Confidential" this past weekend.

Life Sabich, then you die...

--Mr Bill
my how this punography has groan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom