• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Dionne Warwick 45th Anniversary Spectacular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave60640

Hi all.
I was just wondering if anyone had gone, or heard from anyone else that had gone, to the show on the 26th.
I would love to hear what RC ended up doing!

The evening was presented in two halves. The first half of the evening was celebrated artists/friends performing classic Dionne Warwick songs. After intermission, Ms. Warwick took the stage and performed with her closest friends including: Gladys Knight, Smokey Robinson, Kasish, Gloria Estefan, Olivia Newton-John, Stevie Wonder, Burt Bacharach and Richard Carpenter.

As the evening was celebrating Ms. Warwick's 45th year as an artist and her music, she introduced Richard with the remarks of "Along with his sister Karen (there was an audible gasp in the Kodak Theatre) this gentelman had a very big hit with a song that I'd like everybody to remember I recorded first! My dear close friend who is an incredible musician - Richard Carpenter". Richard entered stage right to tremendous applause, sat at the piano and accompanied Ms. Warwick on a very jazzy, sophisticated rendition of "Close To You" (with full and incredible orchestra!)

It was a true highlight of an evening full of musical highlights. Later backstage, Richard commented Ms. Warwick and Karen share a lot of similar qualities to their voices.

The evening was recorded as a television special. The whole evening was something very magical! Be sure to watch for it!

Mr. SPAC said:
As the evening was celebrating Ms. Warwick's 45th year as an artist and her music, she introduced Richard with the remarks of "Along with his sister Karen (there was an audible gasp in the Kodak Theatre)

Imagine this...

A healthy, 56 year old Karen Carpenter emerges from the certain and walks onto the stage, hand-in-hand with her brother Richard. Ready to face the music again after a 23 year lapse. Karen's 1983 death had been a hoax and she's been in hiding all this time.

:::Sigh:::

Don't know if it was meant to be "funny", Jeff. More just "wishful thinking" on Joe's part. -Chris

I took Joe's comment to be more wishful thinking too :)

The Dionne event was held at the Kodak Theater, a spectacular venue on the Avenue Of The Stars, and now permanent home to the Academy Awards.

la_hw_kodak.jpg

kodaktheatre2.jpg

44953_512.jpg

The after show dinner was held at the Hollywood Palladium :tongue:

Stephen

Yeoww! Where is this place at? It took place Jan. 26th?! What a swell Birthday Present for me, that might'a been!! :shock:

...And the After-Dinner thing, too!:cool:

Dave

...with Stars in My Eyes, online...! :nauga:

Hey Dave

It's on Hollywood Boulevard, just along from Mann's Chinese Theater and across the road from the Hollywood Roosevelt hotel. Here is a view from inside the entrance, looking out into the street. So you can see that in terms of exact location, it's directly opposite the El Capitan theatre.

oscar%20inside%20the%20kodak%20theater.jpg

This is a view of the Hollywood Palladium, where the after show party was held:

tables-600.jpg

Stephen

Hey...it's OK to dream and be wishfull. I'm sure we've all thought of what could have been had Karen been alive. We all wish she was still here!
-Look To Your Dreams!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom