Donny Osmond covers "This Guy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Add Donny Osmond’s name to the list of people who have covered “This Guy’s In Love”. It’s the 11th track on his newly released CD, “What I Meant to Say”. I don’t have the CD myself, but at the risk of being banned from the forum for life, I’m thinking of buying it. Anyone listen to it yet?

Well, Donny Osmond covering "This Guy's In Love With You" doesn't suprise me. I figured sooner or later, especially with the Herb Alpert & TjB reissues coming, that this was due to happen soon...!

Now if only he and the other Osmonds would get together with Andy Williams' (who helped them start their career) ex-wife... :bigevil:

Dave

Here is a piece of trivia- in 1987 Donny Osmond and Herb Alpert both made appearances in the Jeff Beck (of all people) video "Ambitious".

I believe Donny first recorded a version of "TGILWY" way back in 1970. Is this "new" CD a collection or newly recorded materials?

--Mr Bill
proud owner of NO Donny Osmond recordings...

Bill, looks like new stuff to me. You can see it at Amazon.

Don't look now, but... DONNY IS BACK! :shock:

Yes, I went over to Amazon and saw it... It IS new stuff and "This Guy..." is a "new version" (NOT a "re-recording") of the Bacharach song he originally recorded in '70...

Dave

What's supposed to be interesting about this album is that, for the first time, half the tracks were written by Osmond himself. I've heard that it's oversaturated with sappy ballads though. I'd like to hear it. The man has a great voice.

My little sisters used to be Donny Osmond fans. He had a single about 15 years ago called "Soldier of Love" that was quite good, I thought.

If he's doing ballads, maybe he's anglng to be the new Barry Manilow. Why not, it could happen. Sure beats having him in his 50s singing "One Bad Apple" and "Yo Yo."

The song "This Guy's In Love With You" (last song on side 2) was on the album "Portrait Of Donny" (which also included 3 8" by 10" photos) on MGM back in May of 1972. Solo wise, the album went to # 6 (the highest of any Donny Osmond album). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Well, Captain, you know what they say… Into each life a little rain must fall. :tongue:

Hey, remember “Go Away Little Girl”? Now that was Donny at the top of his game! :D

Go away, little girl
Go away, little girl
I'm not supposed to be alone with you
I know that your lips are sweet
But our lips must never meet
I belong to someone else
And I must be true

"Go Away Little Girl," now THAT was one annoying song. He was like 12 when he recorded that, yet he was singing lines like "you're just too young for me." Yeech.

Incidentally -- when he's not re-recording Herb Alpert hits, Donny is also a game show host on "Pyramid" which is a revived version of "The $25,000 Pyramid" from the 70s. It's an entertaining show, not as good as the original (who can beat Dick Clark, eh?) but OK for time-wasting.

I like the way Donny sung "A Time For Us (Theme From ROMEO & JULIET)"... :agree:

...Since we're discussing "Donny's Virtues", here... :tongue:

Dave

But do you think "A Time For Us", is better than "Go Away Little Girl"? These are some pretty tough questions... but they deserve honest answeres. :angel:

After his big comeback with "Soldier Of Love" he did a really good album called "Eyes Don't Lie" or something like that, I can't remember. I worked for a CD store at the time and met him at a Capitol party. I remember he walked in the room, got a mini corn dog off the buffet table and came over and stood next to me and said "Hey, how's it going?". Nobody even noticed him coming in. Then a crowd finally started gathering around. He seemed real down to earth. And he was a lot shorter than I thought too. Anyway, the "Eyes" album wasn't a hit. Comebacks don't last long for teen idols. David Cassidy was also told to go away after one comeback hit.
Osmond will always have peaked (in my opinion) with his brothers in the early 70s on such classics as "Down By The Lazy River", "Hold Her Tight", "Goin' Home" and "Crazy Horses" (which was about air pollution, not heroin addiction!)

DaveK promises Capt. B that this is all he has to say about Donny Osmond, as this is not an Osmond forum.

Mike said:
But do you think "A Time For Us", is better than "Go Away Little Girl"? These are some pretty tough questions... but they deserve honest answers. :angel:

Yes...!!!

..."A Time For Us"--No matter WHO sings it--Andy Williams, Bobby Sherman, the instrumental version I have by Chet Atkins, The background vocalists (Gene Merlino, John Bahler, Jackie Ward) who sung it on a Joe Pass album I have--and even by DONNY...!!

I like it MUCH better than "Go Away Little Girl"--sorry, that song just has a bit of an annoying melody...especially if anyone who sings it, is also going to sing "Hey Girl (Don't Go Away)"...!!! ...Er, 'cept...I can't think of anyone who has...

"Go Away...", I think I've only mostly heard by The Lettermen and Donny's version, anyway...

Dave

...who at '35', certainly wouldn't be telling ANY girl to go away... :wink:

It'll be a cold day somewhere it's very hot before I'd listen to Donny Osmond...

He and Michael Jackson should collaborate on something...just get them one way tickets to another planet beforehand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom