Dorival Caymmi -RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave S.

Just saw this obit. Didn't he write one of the titles on 'Warm'. I believe the spelling of the last name is similar.

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- Brazilian composer and singer Dorival Caymmi, who catapulted to fame when Carmen Miranda performed one of his songs in 1938, died Saturday. He was 94.

He died of kidney cancer and multiple organ failure in his Rio de Janeiro home, his granddaughter Stela Caymmi told the Globo TV network.

Caymmi's lyrics were inspired by the beautiful women and folklore of the northeastern Brazilian state of Bahia, where he was born. A deep, velvety voice also helped make him one of the country's most beloved artists.

Among more than 100 songs he composed, "O que e que a Baiana tem" was immortalized by Miranda.

His song "Das Rosas" was translated into English as "And Roses and Roses" by American lyricist Ray Gilbert and sung by Andy Williams and Perry Como, among others.

Caymmi's sons Dori and Danilo and daughter Nana are all prominent musicians who got their start accompanying their father on the stage and in the recording studio.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Dorival Caymmi is the father of Dori, Nana and Danilo Caymmi.

It's son Dori who wrote "The Sea Is My Soil" and performed with Sergio on BRASIL '86 and with Lani Hall on her BRASIL NATIVO album.

I'll correct the thread title for accuracy.

Harry

Dorival wrote the song that became one of Sergio Mendes' most unique recordings, "Promise of a Fisherman (Promessa De Pescador)." Sad news indeed.

And to think I discovered his "Promise of a Fisherman (Promessa De Pescador)" covered by Santana, before in a matter of a few years discovering the much better defined version by Sergio...

R.I.P., Dorival...

Dave

"Promise of a Fisherman (Promessa De Pescador)" covered by Santana
You're not kidding that Sergio's is the better version. I generally like Santana's classic music (1969-1979) but that song leaves me cold by him. It's my least favorite track on the BORBOLETTA album.

I heard Sergio's version first and was expecting an awesome take by Carlos...instead it hit me as just a very cursory piano rendition of the melody surrounded by a ton of noisy percussion, followed by 7 minutes of pointless guitar acrobatics that have nothing to do with the song. I guess that's why I'm not really into jazz....

Jobim's "Stone Flower" by Santana is a lot better...he follows the original version quite well.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Caymmi family. I saw his son Dori in concert with Kevyn and Mike Shapiro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom