• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Dr. Richard Carpenter??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I thought I had heard about a year ago that Richard finished school and earned a PhD in music. I know that USC offers (or did offer at one time) a course modeled after Richard Carpenter’s arranging style, as he is considered to be the king of “pop” arrangers.

I also find it fascinating that while arranging and orchestrating the Carpenters’ albums, Richard could not “technically” orchestrate, hence the “Special Thanks to Ron Gorow” credits on all the albums, as Ron was the man responsible for writing out the orchestral charts for Richard’s arrangements. Any thoughts??? -Chris

That's very interesting info about Richard getting a PhD, Chris. Wish you could remember where you heard it. I do know that he always regretted leaving before getting his degree and that he was rewarded an HONORARY doctorate. I can't seem to find anything to back this up, however. If he has really earned this degree, my hats off to him. The person here who might know about this is Randy Schmidt.

Richard probably isn't "technically capable" of writing out the orchestrations. I remember reading an interesting interview published, I think, in "Keyboard" where Richard stated that he had all the computer software to do this but hadn't learned how to use it! Does anyone else recall this better than I do? You know what they say about an older person's memory?!!! :tongue:

Marilyn

Vaguely remember thaty Richard did receive his Music Degree during the last few years -was this a PHD ?

Richard has received various honours and special events from CSULB and other Universities over the years -someone will have to ask Richard at forthcoming TOTW benefit :wink:

Peter

Just lamenting that I wish we had some official source of info on the Carpenters. There is still a large fan base that would cherish this type of information. What I would give for an official web site!

Since Richard is easily approachable at the Top of the world benefit, I was going to ask about the new Christmas collection, but maybe I'll ask about the website???

Jeff

Yes, Jeff! Ask Richard about an official Carpenters/Richard Carpenter website. It's long overdue. There was an employee of his, Erica Nemmers, who was working on an "official" site several years ago, as well as a site devoted to the Carpenter Family Foundation. The latter was up and running (just a basic "dead" front page) for a few months. Ms. Nemmers is no longer with Richard, so I have no idea what became of that.

As for the Doctorate, I know Richard is just a few credits shy of graduating with his Bachelor's degree in Music. Unless something has happened in the last year or two, I don't think he has completed it. He was, however, presented with an Honorary Doctorate from CSULB on May 26, 2000.

Randy

Thanks, Randy. It seems this old brain works well enough!! :tongue:

And Jeff, please, please ask Richard about an official Carpenters website!!

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom