• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Exactly what is the OBI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An OBI, or obi strip, is the paper strip that is usually tied around the left side of the LP cover. The purpose of the obi strip is to translate the title into Japanese and provide useful information for the consumer. There are few exceptions in which companies such as CBS Sony issued records sealed in shrink wrap and instead of the traditional obi strip used stickers. OBIs tend to get easily thrown away, lost or damaged which makes an item incomplete in its original format. Therefore, any item that has the OBI has more collectible value.

Kenny

Some import CDs also have obi strips. I like to store them behind the disc tray (along with my receipt) for safe keeping. That area is great for storing small things you don't want to lose, like old concert tickets or short newspaper clippings.
J

What does the O>B>I> stand for?
:?:
Also,I knew the answer to this but can't remember-
What did it mean on 45's with a song "B/W" the other?

I believe b/w stands for "backed with".

Harry
...who always believed this, anyway, online...

I believe "obi" may actually be a Japanese word. I have seen it defined in a forum, but don't remember if it was here or at Steve Hoffman's.

Harry said:
I believe b/w stands for "backed with".

That would be correct, sir!

Although, on some picture sleeves of certain Columbia 45's issued between the mid-'60's and the early-to-mid-'70's, they had a "c/w" designation - that meant "coupled with."

LPJim said:
...I like to store them behind the disc tray (along with my receipt) for safe keeping. That area is great for storing small things you don't want to lose, like old concert tickets or short newspaper clippings.

I've used this area to store concert tix, photos, clippings, etc., for years. Back in the '80s, when they would allow recording devices into concerts, I'd use the ticket stub in place of the label in the cassette case.

This is another reason I don't like the cardboard "mini jackets" they're using for CDs. I bought two copies of the import version of Equinox. One cover is cut to fit inside of a conventional plastic CD cover; the other I have for collectible purposes.

Jon

...wishing they'd create one type of CD case and stick with it, online...

Rudy said:
I believe "obi" may actually be a Japanese word. I have seen it defined in a forum, but don't remember if it was here or at Steve Hoffman's.

"Obi" is a Japanese word meaning roughly "sash." Indeed, the LP or CD obi strip resembles a sash.

You've seen those strips of fabric that beauty pageant contestants wear that say "Miss Japan" or whatever? That is another example of an obi.

There was a story going around some years back that the word "obi" was an acronym meaning "Original Band Intact." Just as is true with most alleged acronyms (such as the "golf" "gentlemen only ladies forbidden" canard and the "tip" "to insure promptness" story), it's an urban legend.

Tim: I thought I'd heard that definition somewhere for "obi". Gracias. :)

Tim Neely said:
"Obi" is a Japanese word meaning roughly "sash". Indeed, the LP or CD obi strip resembles a sash.

You've seen those strips of fabric that beauty pageant contestants wear that say "Miss Japan" or whatever? That is another example of an obi.

Ah, Yes! That's ALL they seem to wear there (at the Beauty Pageants), too! :twisted:

Dave

...sorry to have missed the "Boob Thread" at LOOK AROUND, too... :twitchy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom