• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Fake Alpert Listing on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we bust this seller somehow? Or at the very least, e-mail the bidder and let them know it's a bootleg? Definitely against eBay policy...if you can convince them. :mad:

Ugh! These guys really annoy me. I wonder if Larry Williams, the photographer on BULLISH where that picture originates, knows that his likely copyrighted photo is being used on a bootleg disc?

Harry
...avoiding the pirates, online...

Didn't we turn in a Carpenters bootleg this way also? (Was it a Jim McCrary photo?) Universal probably won't do anything about it, but getting ahold of the photographer is a neat little loophole to take advantage of. :D

He's got one bidder at $19.99. What a terrible job on the "album cover." I made an Alpert compilation for myself with this same photo but mine looks like a real album cover, IMHO! :D

Yeah...this guy looks like he used a cheap photo editing program and threw that mess together himself. I say ALL of us e-mail that bidder and tell him it's a fraud. Then he can cancel the bid with the explanation: "Item is a bootleg CD-R." Seller gets the message that way.

I just sent him an email...hope everybody else will, too. This type of crap really chaps my behind. With legit Alpert going for 450 bucks, though...what else could we expect? 20 bucks for a few minutes work...I'll bet the seller was hoping for a lot more...hopefully, they'll get more than they bargained for! :mad:

Dan

I sent the seller an email and told him it was an obvious bootleg. He wrote back with three words:

"And you are?"

I didn't reply to that one. It's not like he would've taken it down anyway.

Should have told him my name was Jon and I was personal friends with Herb's secretary and I work for ASCAP. :D

Mike Blakesley said:
Should have told him my name was Jon and I was personal friends with Herb's secretary and I work for ASCAP. :D

:laugh: :twisted: :laugh: :laugh: :jester: :laugh: :bigevil: :laugh: :goodie: :laugh: :nauga: :laugh:

I reported this item to eBay earlier today and also notified the bidder of what was happening. Don't know if I was in time, though.

Capt. Bacardi

The standard eBay policy for copyright violations (as I understood it): the copyright OWNER is the one who reports the violation to eBay. So, we could all sit here and say it's a bootleg until we're blue in the face. So until Herb Alpert, Universal, the photographer, etc. reports it as a work released without their permission, eBay won't touch it. If you think about it, why should eBay trust what WE have to say? We could just be angry losing bidders to them.

I went through this when a seller decided to copy content from our site here in an eBay listing. Since I "own" the website and created its contents, I can file a signed statement with eBay stating that my website is a copyrighted work. After they've received it, I get a special e-mail address (like a hotline) where all I need to do is point out the offending auction (with proof, of course), and they will expedite its removal or modification.

It's a pain, and very frustrating for all of us who recognize a bootleg when we see it, because we can't do a damn thing about it. The ad does NOT state the item is a CD-R, and hence skates around the issue of it breaking the "no recorded CD-Rs" rule on eBay.

One can only hope the seller knew what he/she was buying, and doesn't mind that it's not an officially released product. It's an illegal item, plain and simple...but if the buyer is happy with how he/she spent the amount of the winning bid and it ended at a fair price, then maybe nobody has really been taken advantage of all that badly.

Sad thing is, short of skirting the authorities, we'd probably get away with it and make a small fortune! :-?

cakeicer said:

Hee Hee, haven't thought about that guy in ages! :winkgrin:

Funny part of it is...I'd actually like to find out WHO this person was! It's evident he WAS a TJB/Alpert fan, but sure had a funny way of showing it! :wink:

For the record:

Jon, who is personal friends with Herb's secretary and works for ASCAP is NOT me!

Jon

...who didn't even know what ASCAP meant until he looked it up... :tongue:

Somebody should buy this and then turn it over to the cops. (or the RIAA?)

I bet I could get a hundred $ for my box set! :D

I have not participated in it thus far, but Ebay now has it's own discussion forum. As long as the statements don't libel anyone -- after all, truth is a defense -- that would be a good place to warn potential buyers of bootlegs. The feedback system is great but is only useful after you've bought and paid for the item.
JB

Sheesh...this guy needs to be taken out.

I poked around eBay. They do maintain a listing of "Verified Rights Owners" (aka "VeRO"), which includes several known record labels. Note that while Universal isn't listed, the RIAA does have an address that may be worth trying:

[email protected]

I don't like dealing with the RIAA, but if that's what it takes to get this guy from selling bootlegs, then so be it.

And in case you're wondering...yes, I did report the auction. This one, plus the last one originally posted here. Who knows if they'll do anything? They're too busy suing minors for downloading.

This second bootleg" is by the same guy as the last one. If this guy gets away with it I say we all make and sell our comps on eBay! Then take 25% of your earnings and send it to Herb's "Alpert Foundation" with a note regarding the songs, songwriters and pub companies so the cash can be distributed properly...

--Mr Bill
with tongue firmly in cheek...

OK, here's what we do.

1. Create "A&M Corner Records, Inc," owned by interested parties here at the Corner, with Neil as CEO and web-master.

2. Get Herb's permission to "re-release" his catalog. We would do this via CD-R copies of our own legitimate disks. If they don't exist, we would pool our resources to find the very best copies of the non-CD records and create masters from them.

3. Orders would come in to the website here, and would be available to all of the company owners in a "pool." We could just fill the orders at our own pace. We could create the CD-Rs and include files on the disks for the cover art, which the buyer could print-out himself. Once this got huge enough, we could have the covers commercially printed and the disks commercially made.

4. We'd have to figure out an equitable way to distribute the cash, but some percentage would have to go to Herb, another part to the member who filled the order, and the rest to the company for administrative costs, promotion, etc.

With refinement, this could be a future segment of music retailing here!

I just e-mailed Randy Badazz about this crap and suggested he let Herb know about it. I sure he has a lawyer or two who can do something about it. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
I just e-mailed Randy Badazz about this crap and suggested he let Herb know about it. I sure he has a lawyer or two who can do something about it. :wink:

And I just got word from Randy that he will forward this news to Herb's manager Kip, and he'll let me know what happens.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom