Fan Club Newsletters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

NEWSLETTER #66 - January, 1980

Says: "Richard and Karen recently participated in the popular TV show "20/20" with Herb Alpert, which is due to air shortly, but no date is set at present time"

Maybe there are some Herb Alpert fans that remember this & can shed some light on what this was & what part the Carpenters played? Did they sing? I'm assuming that 20/20 was not the ABC TV show?

Also in same newsletter says:

"Many hours of preparation and research has finally culminated in a very nice souvenir book (now in mailing process) as a token of gratitude from the Carpenters for your faithful support during the first decade of their recording career. Enjoy!

These books will not be sold outside the fanclub, so anyone who wishes further copies for friends, can obtain them from the fanclub for $X.XX for USA members, and $X.XX for members residing outside the States. The price includes shipping and handling"

What exactly was this book? Exclusive to fanclub? I wasn't a member.

Hi Chris. I don't remember anything about 20/20, but I had one of the fan club booklets. They were very good to their fans and sent each of us a commemorative booklet, similar to their concert booklets, with recent pictures added. It was their 10th anniversary with A&M. I wish I still had it. I always thought I'd get to another concert of theirs, you know . . .

Hi,
I think those books were called CARPENTERS DECADE. They were navy blue on front, with a pic of Karen and Richard. Karen was wearing a soft, velvety beige-orange top and Richard had a green shirt. Inside was a lot of information on them, pics of their album covers, pics from TV specials from 1969-1978. As well as info on gold/platinum records in the world. I remember the first time I got this(not as a member of the fan club) but in 1989 when I became interested in the Carpenters and sent away for the book. I wish I had saved mine as well.

My thoughts,
Cameron

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
NEWSLETTER #66 - January, 1980

Says: "Richard and Karen recently participated in the popular TV show "20/20" with Herb Alpert, which is due to air shortly, but no date is set at present time"

Maybe there are some Herb Alpert fans that remember this & can shed some light on what this was & what part the Carpenters played? Did they sing? I'm assuming that 20/20 was not the ABC TV show?

I saw this episode of 20/20. They were doing a story on Herb Alpert for his success with his Rise album, and did a brief overview of his history as a musician and with A&M, and they mentioned how he signed the Carpenters, and they mentioned how Herb gave them the song "Close Tou You". That was about the extent of the Carps on this show.

Capt. Bacardi

Also on the 1979 "20/20" episode, Karen was shown standing with Herb by a piano (I assume Richard was accompanying but he was off screen) and she sang part of "Superstar" -- Herb came in singing a high falsetto "baby..." but in the wrong part of the song!

Randy

OH YOU GUYS,

I've been shaken to my very foundation. You no longer have the CarpenterS decade? Mine is still in it's original envelope in mint condition. It has hardly been looked at so as not to break the spine. Someone commented on my need for memoribilia integrity, a fastidious desire for item perfection. Well, it is this behavior that has maintained an extraordinary collection. When I read that the two of you, particularly Randy had lost this keepsake my heart skipped a beat.

In deepest sympathy,

Jeff

Sorry Randy,

The posts generated a flurry of emotion that clouded my reading skills. You did not mention the loss of CarpenterS decade. I rest.

Jeff

Hey Jeff!

Actually I have two copies of CARPENTERS DECADE... one in plastic that has never been opened (no broken spine!) and another that has been well-worn and used like a college textbook (sorry -- the spine on that copy is barely hangin' on)!

Randy

This is interesting - as a humble UK fan club member at that time, I didn't receive this souvenir...was it only for US members? I would be VERY interested to see this :!:

Randy,

With regards to maintaining a near-mint collection, this Decade's still in plastic thing kills me. You're one up on me.

Pouting,

Jeff

Decade booklet is a great keepsake from Carpenters active years :D

Like Randy ...also have two copies ....one to look at and one to keep securely wrapped :cool:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom