• Shuboom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave Yesterday Behind

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Happy

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Bacharach/David Medley (Reader's Digest "Live" Version)

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought "Leave Yesterday Behind" was a beautiful song. Karen's voice in it's prime, and a beautiful melody to back it. Never understood it being an outtake for so many years...

Voted "Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore" -- always loved this one. The few Ruby and Romantics tunes they did were beautiful.

"Happy" is a close second.

My vote goes to the Peluso-penned tune. "Happy" is just a fun, upbeat...happy...song. It should have been released as a single on its own.

Maybe it's because it was an unheard of jewel - but I chose Leave Yesterday Behind. I like the intimacy of Karen's performance. I wouldn't mind a dash of Richard's reverb though! :)

"Happy" is so refreshing to listen to! Wonderful rhythms, great build-up, and very much the Carpenters "sound". I only wish they'd done more of this up-beat type of material at this stage. Should have been an A-side.

The bass is excellent and sounds like it's coming from a keyboard / synthesiser (I love the groan on the note "Happy is the way I'm feelin'...")

That live medley is just astounding. Carpenters at their absolute peak. Richard did an amazing job of filling in the blanks where certain tracks had not been captured on the tape.

As much as I love this Live medley, I'm still not sold on the utility of the form as opposed to performing one song.
Thus, in as much as this Medley is excellent, I still had to choose "Happy," possessing--- as it does--
all of the elements which goes into a classic Carpenters' song.

I voted for "Your Baby Doesn't Love You anymore". I loved it when it i first heard it on the radio and i think it is one of the best standouts on "Voice of the Heart"

I also went with "Your Baby...", as it is one of the better tracks on VOTH, and I think it should've been the lead-off single, not "Make Believe...".

I also went with "Your Baby...", as it is one of the better tracks on VOTH, and I think it should've been the lead-off single, not "Make Believe...".

Had VOTH featured a really strong standout track chosen as the lead single, I think they could have had a hit in 1983, given the recent memory of Karen's passing. As it stands, the entire album is made up of 'album track' material only, with no obvious contender for first single. Make Believe was far too soft, quiet and forgettable for radio, especially for 1983, and sank without a trace. At least Your Baby had some oomph and drama about it, but it's still not hit single material.

The other thing that doesn't help is that 9 out of the 10 tracks were incomplete when it came to preparing them for release, so the dreaded OK Chorale is peppered throughout most of the album, giving it a bland MOR feel.

Last edited:
Interesting that Happy is currently leading the Bacharach Medley.

Peluso (a B-side at that) outdoing the one and only Bacharach!! If we'd had this same question posed 40 years ago, how would we have voted then I wonder?

Whatever the answer, kudos that Happy is proving itself to have more staying power than perhaps was imagined at the time.

I have a soft spot for Bacharach tunes, and Karen performed them so so well. Plus, getting to hear live versions is like hearing something new.

Of these five, for me it's "Your Baby...". I love the song, but it also always transports me back to when it was released....at a time when feelings were still raw right after Karen's passing, and also because this was the final "new" Carpenter's single that ever got any radio play on our local stations.

I have to cast my vote for Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore. When I first heard this song when I initially obtained Voice Of The Heart, it reminded me so much of the early days of the Carpenters (1970-1973). It has that same appeal as Hurting Each Other, Superstar, Rainy Days...etc. I believe had this song been released as a single in the same era, it would have definitely become a big hit for them. Happy has also always held a strong place in my heart.

I'm drawn to all of the MADE IN AMERICA outtakes as they represent Karen's greatest studio output being her last efforts save NOW and YOU'RE ENOUGH.

I still find it hard to believe that Now and You're Enough arose from the same studio sessions.
While the later is a favorite of mine, the former has never sounded okay to my ears.
It didn't upon first hear in 1983, and it still doesn't, 2016. Just my opinion.
(And, that first opinion was formed before I ever had any information as to how very ill she was in April 1982).

"Now" I find to be an extremely weak song. Really it could've been left on the same tape as the other two songs that have never been released from April 82. But "You're Enough" is one of the better tracks on VOTH.

"Now" I find to be an extremely weak song. Really it could've been left on the same tape as the other two songs that have never been released from April 82. But "You're Enough" is one of the better tracks on VOTH.

Karen's voice sounds richer on You're Enough. Her vocal on Now sounds thin and reedy to me in places but that might be more to do with the fact that much of it required her upper register, which sounded thinner anyway by 1982.

With "Now", I just don't get why Richard tries to push it as Karen's final recording session, and the way he pushes it it sounds like it was the only song recorded that day. But I think "You're Enough" should've made compilations like "From The Top".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom