• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

(Formerly) A&M Studios w/RC

And of course, as the rest of the story goes—Jerry Moss wasn’t too happy about all of this because the albums weren’t exactly cheap to make. So, spending time playing Pong when they should have been recording … 🤣
As far as the Carpenters are concerned, I'm not a fan of Jerry Moss. But he has a point. I did always consider his "it's a thrill to have that voice on A&M" (regarding Horizon as being a backhanded compliment because it seemed to overlook Richard's immense contributions.

And of course, as the rest of the story goes—Jerry Moss wasn’t too happy about all of this because the albums weren’t exactly cheap to make. So, spending time playing Pong when they should have been recording … 🤣

That’s what struck me when I saw that they spent hours playing this instead of making the albums. Studio time was - and always has been - really expensive.

As far as the Carpenters are concerned, I'm not a fan of Jerry Moss.

He was the business side of A&M and may deserve more credit than he gets. He could have easily talked Herb Alpert out of signing the Carpenters, but he knew that Herb had a good ear for artists and trusted his judgement. Then he could have forced the issue of keeping them on the label after their first album stiffed, but he trusted Herb's judgement again and was rewarded with a hit record, and a lot more. Not all business partners would have been that flexible. (I've had a business partner and can relate.)

Remember, hindsight is 20/20 but not everyone has good foresight.

He was the business side of A&M and may deserve more credit than he gets. He could have easily talked Herb Alpert out of signing the Carpenters, but he knew that Herb had a good ear for artists and trusted his judgement. Then he could have forced the issue of keeping them on the label after their first album stiffed, but he trusted Herb's judgement again and was rewarded with a hit record, and a lot more. Not all business partners would have been that flexible. (I've had a business partner and can relate.)

Remember, hindsight is 20/20 but not everyone has good foresight.
Thank you, Mike, for this reminder. In general, I try to be as gracious as is possible. But I was not this time. My apologies.

As far as the Carpenters are concerned, I'm not a fan of Jerry Moss. But he has a point. I did always consider his "it's a thrill to have that voice on A&M" (regarding Horizon as being a backhanded compliment because it seemed to overlook Richard's immense contributions.
There's a letter Jerry wrote to Richard after the album was released that I believe we included in the book. It was very much in recognition of Richard’s abilities, where I believe he said something like “You made one hell of an album Richard,” or something to that effect. I’ll look for it in my archives and post here.

There's a letter Jerry wrote to Richard after the album was released that I believe we included in the book. It was very much in recognition of Richard’s abilities, where I believe he said something like “You made one hell of an album Richard,” or something to that effect. I’ll look for it in my archives and post here.
Thanks, Chris. I'm glad to hear he could appreciate what they accomplished together.
I don't like it when I'm wrong, so I try to get my facts straight. :wink:

Thanks, Chris. I'm glad to hear he could appreciate what they accomplished together.
I don't like it when I'm wrong, so I try to get my facts straight. :wink:
No worries at all! I was a little surprised you missed that one. Then again, you lead a very busy life, so I completely get it! :laugh:

Is that the studio used in the Karen Carpenter Story especially for the scenes of WOJB, TM, Now....?

Chris May, thank you so much for taking us on this tour. You make us feel like we are there <3 . So Awesome.

I believe Pong was basically the first true video game…so even though it’s really an extremely basic game, at the time it would have been revolutionary, which is interesting to think about.

Turns out I did in fact have the full piece uploaded to my channel:

Thanks for sharing these videos. That's a beautifully framed photo of Karen and Richard at the beginning of the stairwell. Is this the stairwell Richard pointed out that goes up to Quality Control? Who are in the other 2 framed photos to the side of them? It's pretty special that after all these years and changes in ownership that there are reminders of their significance in the history of the building along with Charlie Chaplin.

Curious to know if Karen, over the course of her career, ever received a similar type of congratulatory letter from either Alpert or Moss or any other record executive for her efforts?

That’s my favorite Carpenters picture, from the A Song For You era. I got a poster of it from the fan club in 1973. The 2nd picture looks like it’s Herb Alpert with his trumpet. Not sure about the 3rd one, maybe the Tijuana Brass? Hopefully Chris, Mike, Rudy, or Harry can confirm that? Nice that they are still there.

The second picture was one that was used on tour booklets and later the LOST TREASURES album:
TourBookBack400Sepia.jpg

The third picture was of Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass. I used to have this one on my wall as it was printed poster sized in the Philadelphia newspaper Sunday section:
PosterPhotoTJBSepia.jpg

Here's the way that poster looked. I found one being sold on eBay ages ago and copied the image. (Slightly different pose.)
InquirerRotoComics400.jpg

And of course the first photo is a sepia version of this pose for the SONG FOR YOU album:
Billboard A Song For You Album Jul 8 1972.jpg
So, Chris, my brain is foggy for a few reasons. Are you saying that the classic and beautiful ASFY photo above is by Charles Bush? Was he an A&M photographer or independent?

Credits would indicate that the classy A SONG FOR YOU photo was taken by Bill Hennigar.

What's somewhat interesting about that photo is that it first appeared in rather small form on the innersleeve of A SONG FOR YOU. It was also used on the heart hype sticker.

In the CD age, it disappeared entirely on the first A&M CD version of A SONG FOR YOU. MFSL restored it on the back of the booklet but only CD sized, of course. Then it appeared surrounded in red on the CD booklet of the Remastered Classic, and on the same booklet within the Chronicles 3-disc set.

For a larger representation, look for it in the sheet-music book for A SONG FOR YOU.

Back
Top Bottom