• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Found a Herb Alpert photo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I took a few slides when Herb Alpert came here promoting the "Under a Spanish Moon" recording. Since I didn't have fast film or a tripod, some were blurry. This one came out decent, and captured the stage lighting well. Thanks to the slide scanner I have, I was able to grab this image (Herb at left, Eduardo del Barrio conducting, and Herb's combo off to the right):

alpert_spanishmoontour1.jpg

16 years ago...I can barely remember my NAME these days! :laugh: Still, it very well could have been "Under A Spanish Moon", which was the three-part suite that was the centerpiece of the album.

Interesting concert, though--it opened with an orchestral version of "A Taste of Honey". From his pose in the picture, I think it was probably one of his "classic" songs. For the suite, I believe he may have had sheet music, or at least been more at center stage.

If it's any comfort, I have trouble remembering what day it is sometimes! :laugh: :oops:

All the same, cool pic, and looks like it was a hell of a concert.... :thumbsup:

:ed:

Rudy said:
Thanks to the slide scanner I have, I was able to grab this image

Nice quality scan Rudy! :thumbsup: What did you use, a flatbed scanner with a film adapter, or a professional film scanner?

Murray
...looking for something to scan his stacks of slides...

Nice picture.

Heh. Young Rudy using a 2.17:1 aspect ratio. A widescreen fan even then!

Harry
...who still hasn't found his old picture of Karen Carpenter from about 1971-72, online...

Rudy said:
Interesting concert, though--it opened with an orchestral version of "A Taste of Honey".

This brings to mind the opening of our Bullish concert here in Concord, California. It opened with the stage being completely dark, a single spotlight illuminating an old Victrola Gramophone. A gentleman came out, wound the machine, put the needle on the record and left the stage. I don't recall what song was played (it wasn't a TJB tune or anything with which I'd be familiar -- that much I do remember!)

Interesting and creative way to begin a concert...it definitely set the tone of the evening.

Jon

Hmmm. All I get is the red X. At first I thought it was because I was at work, but when I got home sure enough I just got the red X there as well. Neil, can you post the location of the pic so I can at least see it via the "back door"???

--Mr Bill

Moved the photo here...all fixed now. (Had to fix that link at least three times yesterday!)

Harry said:
Heh. Young Rudy using a 2.17:1 aspect ratio. A widescreen fan even then!

Actually, I just cropped it to this size. :D The bottom part had some audience in it, while the top had a strange line that came from the scanner. (Probably dust on the sensor.) This type of stage presentation works well as a panoramic. :)

Murray said:
Nice quality scan Rudy! What did you use, a flatbed scanner with a film adapter, or a professional film scanner?

I grabbed a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II last summer, since I have literally dozens of slides my parents took, along with plenty of my own. Not to mention a lot of 35mm negatives. It comes with the holders for four 35mm slides or a strip of negatives (with up to six images at a time). Scans fairly well, but it is slow. This would have a higher resolution than a flatbed scanner. I can also get an APS film adapter for this scanner if I need it. My only concern is that if I start shooting in medium format, I'd need a bigger (and a lot more expensive) scanner to handle the larger film.

Captain Bacardi said:
Cool shot! Was this a local orchestra or did Herb bring one along? I thought I read that he was just using the local guys.

This concert was at Meadowbrook, and he used what they call the "Meadowbrook Festival Orchestra" which is a local organization. I think they're the "on call" orchestra for events at that venue, and possibly a couple of others.

I thought they were tied to Oakland University, and the orchestra very well may be, but the venue itself is probably owned now by Palace Entertainment, same owners as The Palace of Auburn Hills, Pine Knob (aka DTE Energy Music Theater), and a few other major venues in our area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom