• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Going To The Well Too Often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

It seems that Universal just can't stop releasing the same old compilations. Yet another Police/Sting compilation is scheduled for release on 10/1. From the CDNow site:

The Police, The Very Best Of … Sting and the Police, Oct. 1, (A&M/Universal): Yet another Police/Sting compilation, this one to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the Police. Includes two never-before-anthologized tracks from Sting's Brand New Day ("Brand New Day" and "Desert Rose").

I long for the days when we used to hear "never-before-released tracks", instead of "never-before-anthologized tracks". I guess redunancy rules. :sad:

Capt. Bacardi

To make matters worse, as far as I know, they still haven't reissued the original Police albums in remastered form. The Message In A Box 4-CD box set sounds better than the original CDs. Blue Turtles could use a remastering as well. But hey, we're used to the Univer$al abuse of A&M...

-= N =-

The new Police/Sting CD is actually a "re-design" of a previous compilation, which was released in 1997 with the same title and very similar artwork. There are a few differences in the song lineup.

The new CD has the following songs which were not on the 1997 release:

Seven Days
Fragile
De Doo Doo Doo, De Da Da Da
Brand New Day
Desert Rose
So Lonely

And the following songs have been taken off:

Let Your Soul Be Your Pilot
Russians
Roxanne '97 - Puff Daddy Remix (no loss here)

So overall I would say they improved the package. Took out one "fair" album track and one piece of Puff Daddy crap, and one other song ("Pilot") that I'm not familiar with, and replaced them with six much better songs. So maybe I'll buy it. No wait, I have the box set and a couple of Sting CDs already. Forget it.

I wonder if "Pilot" was a newer song, one that they throw on a compilation so the fans buy it?

I'm with you--I have the Police box set, and the first couple of solo Sting CDs...I'm set. :D

Reminds me--I dug out an old Styx album, Pieces Of Eight, which actually was the first Styx album I owned. Can't get over how hard this one rocks in comparison to the others. This is one that sounds OK, but really needs a decent remastering.

-= N =-

Rudy said:
I wonder if "Pilot" was a newer song, one that they throw on a compilation so the fans buy it?

"Pilot" is a Sting tune from his Mercury Falling album, which I thought was lackluster at best. That album put me to sleep when I first heard it. I passed on buying it a few years ago.

Capt. Bacardi

That explains why I don't recognize it...I bought Mercury Falling and quite frankly, it left me cold. :confused:

Blue Turtles and Bring On The Night are the ones I spun the most around here.

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom