• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Goodbye to Love 1989 Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Is Anthology (1989) CD Set from Japan the only place that the 89 remix of Goodbye to Love can be found? I just realized I don't think I have this remix. It seems that I have either the 85 remix or the 91 remix which are used the most.

I really want to hear the 89 remix because of this:

"The version of "Goodbye to Love" here is also different than any previously-released version. If you listen to any other version of the song, you don't hear Karen take a breath before her first word. Since she comes in before the piano, Richard wondered why they didn't include her intake of air on the original recording, so he went back to the original master tapes to listen to it. What he found was that his count, leading into the song, was audible through Karen's headphones, and her breath occurs at the same time as Richard is counting. So on Anthology, you get to hear Richard's count and Karen's breath before she starts singing"

Credited from: http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/anthology.html

I have From the Top but never purchased Anthology, they say the sound of the mastering of the CD's is excellent, can you really tell?

I think the 1989 and the 1990 remix are identical except for EQ levels. The 1990 remix, which can be found on FROM THE TOP, has the lead count and everything just like ANTHOLOGY.

My ANTHOLOGY 4 LP set has the best sounding Carpenters vinyl ever!

This is weird - I have both mixes of this song with Karen's intake of breath, one with Richard's piano note and count in, one which is a clean recording of her breath intake into the song.

My question is: if there is a version with her breath that is clean i.e. without the headphone leakage, which compilation is it on? I must have gotten it from somewhere!! :tongue:

Stephen

I only have the re-released version of ANTHOLOGY. It's rather disconcerting that the booklet details Ray Gerhardt's slating on the take (nine), then Richard's count-in, and the opening breath by Karen, but all I hear is a short breath. Sounds like it would be something I'd like to hear, but it's just flat-out not there.

I suspect that the re-released version is different from the original ANTHOLOGY, but the liner notes remained the same.

It's a shame - I'd like to hear that.

Harry
NP: ANTHOLOGY, Carpenters

Harry, do you have FROM THE TOP. I'm sure you do. The count is there along with Karen's breath. So the version from ANTHOLOGY is the same as on FROM THE TOP.

I checked all my compilations with this track & they all said either they were the 85 remix or the 91 remix, From the Top also is credited as the 85 remix so I didn't try that earlier, since returning to this thread I popped in Disc 2 From the Top & Andrew's right it there, I never noticed it before but Now turning up my volume full blast at the very start of the track there is Richard's count & Karen's breath so looks like I have this. Although I can hardly hear Richard say (nine) os that what he is saying it's soo quick I can't make that out it's a nine and From the Top does NOT mention this in the liner notes.

I thought this was exclusive to the ANTHOLOGY set?

Harry, I'm confused now with your set of ANTHOLOGY, you sure it's not there? That means they made 2 different sets of ANTHOLOGY? Strange.

Also what I don;t understand is how could Richard's words be audible through Karen's headphones? She obviously didn't have her headphones over her ears, right? Maybe one ear on only one side of the headphones? Am I understanding this leakage right?

Yes, there are two version of Anthology. The 1985 version and the 1997 re-issue. The 1997 re-issue uses the current 1991 remixes so you won't find any 80's remixes on it.

raz42289 said:
Harry, do you have FROM THE TOP. I'm sure you do. The count is there along with Karen's breath. So the version from ANTHOLOGY is the same as on FROM THE TOP.

Hey, you're right Andrew - thanks. I'd forgotten about that fact, but then again I don't often just sit down to listen casually to some of these compilations, and FROM THE TOP falls into that category. I think it's the intermixing of Christmas stuff that prevents it from being just a casual listen for me, not that I don't love the Christmas stuff, but up here in the seasonal mid-Atlantic, it seems weird to be hearing Christmas songs when the weather's warm and sunny.

That may be why some of you people in warm southern climes have no trouble with listening to Christmas Portrait in July! You're used to warm weather Christmases.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, it's definitely there on FROM THE TOP. You can hear, very faintly, Ray Gerhardt saying "niner" indicating that this was take nine. Then there's a piano chord and Rich's count-in, "One..two..three." On the "three" we can hear Karen get her intake breath and the song begins - all just as described in the ANTHOLOGY notes, but not present on the re-issued ANTHOLOGY.

Well good - now there's less pressure to try and track down the now-rare original ANTHOLOGY!

Harry
...thanking Andrew for pointing this out, online...

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Although I can hardly hear Richard say (nine) is that what he is saying it's soo quick I can't make that out it's a nine and From the Top does NOT mention this in the liner notes.
ANTHOLOGY's liner notes say that it's engineer Ray Gerhardt saying "niner".
I thought this was exclusive to the ANTHOLOGY set?
Well apparently we poor Americans were graced with this version of the song too. Though consider that FROM THE TOP is now ALSO out of print.
Harry, I'm confused now with your set of ANTHOLOGY, you sure it's not there? That means they made 2 different sets of ANTHOLOGY? Strange.
Quite sure. Over at David's site that you started the thread with, there's another note about ANTHOLOGY that's also not true on my set:
davidgra at his site said:
For example, the version of "Close to You" on this album concludes with the piano solo found on the Close to You album version, and the final note of that solo occurs at the same time as the first note of "Ave Maria."
I listened again carefully for this on my ANTHOLOGY and "Close To You" ends just like the single version usually does, fades out, then there's a two or three second dead space, and "Ave Maria" begins as normal.

It's funny, but I've heard people say that ANTHOLOGY had a lot of unique things about it and was rather disappointed that it all sounded rather 'normal' to me. It's clear now that this set was compiled two different times. I guess that once the early '90's passed and the Japanese wanted ANTHOLOGY back on the racks, Richard conceded but substituted all of the latest and greatest remixes.

Harry
...who has the second (and apparently inferior) ANTHOLOGY, online...

Since this ANTHOLOGY discrepancy has come up, it may be that there are a few people out there who'd like to see exactly what's written by Richard in the liner notes. Here's what I have in the second issue of the set:

Richard Carpenter said:
[3] "GOODBYE TO LOVE"***

1972, Drums - Hal Blaine, Bass - Joe Osborn, Keyboards - Richard Carpenter, Guitar - Tony Peluso, Background vocals - Karen and Richard Carpenter. This is a Carpenter/Bettis tune written, as with the rest, especially for Karen. "Goodbye To Love" was a bit of a departure. It is a rhythm ballad and we had done those before, but in this arrangement I pictured a melodic "fuzz" guitar solo. Tony Peluso was selected for the solo and this brilliant performance led to his becoming a permanent mamber of our group. This is one of the "all time" recorded guitar solos. It is a difficult tune but Karen sings it effortlessly. It did very well world wide. This band is a re-mix. The count-off was left on intentionally and if I may indulge in a little esoterica, I'll explain. "Goodbye To Love" as with "Hurting Each Other" has a "cold opening" (No introduction). It starts with Karen alone and her preperatory breath should have been audible but it wasn't. Through the years this started to catch my ear and I found it disconcerting. During the compiling of this album we pulled the multi-track to find out why the breath had been "clipped". It turned out that my count-off was quite loud in Karen's head-phones and leaked into her microphone. If we had kept the breath on the quarter inch master the listener would have heard the count three on their recording. Since the original has been in release for some 13 years and is still available, we decided to re-mix this selection for this album and leave the whole opening intact. The listener will hear Ray Gerhardt slating the take with "niner", the count-off...and the breath.

Harry
...passing on Richard's exact quote, onlilne...

Thanks for the notes Harry, first time I am reading this in it's entrity.

So this leads me to ask another question, are the notes this lengthy & detailed for most of the songs on ANTHOLOGY?

I may need to hunt down this set, however I would want the original set of CD's not the re-issues.

Wonder if the set at CDJapan is the re-issue or the original set?

...who now hears niner instead of just nine, online...

P.S. I love finding out about this stuff like it was the nineth take that made the song what it is today. Still can't figure out why this detailed info was left off the liner notes on From the Top.

The one at CD Japan is the re-released version from 96/97. Let me know if you find a supplier of the original!

Harry

P.S. Yes there are fairly detailed liner notes for each song on the ANTHOLOGY. To give you an idea, there are about 8 or 9 pages of teeny, tiny print detailing the songs, track by track in addition to a four page bio written by Richard. What I typed above is one of the longer explanations, but there are others that detailed as well.

I have a question about "Anthology" since I haven't purchased it yet. Is EVERY song remixed? I'm one of those who likes the remixed versions as well as the originials...it's fun to hear a different mix of a classic. Is Anthology worth buying? I have just about everything else (So it's probably inevitable that I will get it!).

At Grant;'s site it is also mentioned that:

The thing that makes this collection so outstanding is the sound quality.

That is what makes me curious about this too. Does it sound that much better than say...From the Top Collection?

I don't think that the ANTHOLOGY I have sounds any better than any other '90s vintage CDs. Perhaps the original mastering is better - I can't say.

I'd venture that the replacement US box set ESSENTIAL COLLECTION remains the best SOUNDING Carpenters set I've heard to date.

Harry

The quality is about the same as the Essential Collection- maybe less so.

One thing that David has wrong with his site is that the 1st version of Anthology was released in 1989. The CD version might have been, but my LP box set was released in 1985. Mine is also numbered! YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom