Gracinha’s top ten songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum members,

Underneath you’ll find my ten favourite top ten Gracinha Leporace songs:

1. LAPINHA, the Baden Powell penned song from Sergio Mendes Brasil ’66 FOTH album with Oscar Castro Neves on acoustic guitar.

2. OPEN UP YOUR ARMS, from the second Bossa Rio’s Alegria album on Blue Thumb records a composition by Dori Caymmi. A duet with the legendary Brazilian singer Pery Ribeiro. Again with Oscar Castro Neves on acoustic guitar.

3.MORRO VELHO, written by Milton Nascimento, from Sergio Mendes & Brasils ’66 Pais Tropical album. With a fine string arrangment by the Great Dave Grusin.

4.FLOWER OF BAHIA from Sergio’s second A&M period, the Brasil 86 album releaed in 1985.
A fine song with Dori Caymmi on guitar and those quality arranged and performed synclavier sounds by Sergio and Peter Wolf, and with Paulinho Da Costa plays percussion with Sergio for the first time in ten years since he left Brasil ’77.

5. BOA PALAVRE (The Good Word) from the first Bossa Rio album on A&M records released in 1969. Written by the great Caetano Veloso and again with maestro Oscar Castro Neves on acoustic guitar.

6.LOST IN PARADISE, another Caetano Veloso composition from Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66 album Stillness from 1970.

7.KISSES, the Ivan Lins composed song from the 1984 A&M album Confetti, with Oscar, Ivan, Brazilian Studio keyboard wizard Gilson Peranzetti and nice string arrangment by Dave Grusin (the last one so far he did for Sergio.

8.MORRER DE AMOR written by my hero Oscar Castro Neves who played acoustic guitar on this track and with his superb string arrangment.
Again from the 1984 Confetti A&M album.

9.ESCONJUROS the Heitor Villa Lobos/ Darius Milhaud influenced composition by Carlos Althier de Souza Lemos Escobar better known as Guinga from the Brasileiro 1992 Grammy Award winning album, with Guinga on acoustic guitar and ex-Caldera member top Jazz/Latin fusion group member Steve Tavaglione on oboe or maybe EWI.
Sergio and Yellow Jackets Russel Ferrante on the keys.

10.ZAZUEIRA, from the second Bossa Rio 1970 Blue Thumb Album.
Written by Jorge Ben or Jorgebenjor. Never record by Sergio himself but once in 1990 recorded by Sergio’s current touring second keyboard player Yutaka Yokokura now known under the name Carlos Y. Del Rosario. Yutaka reorded this album De Novo as LA Transit with Tom Scott, Gracinha, Kate Markowitz, Alex Acuna Oscar Castro Neves, Abe Laboriel.

Unfortunately, I never heard Gracinha’s first solo album on Philips records, so I have no comments on that one.

All the best,
Sjef Nix (Aqua do Brasil)

I think Morro Velho is an awesome song by her. Her vocals are at their best on this one. It makes Pais Tropical a good album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom