• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Guess Which K&R Song I Heard On The Radio?

Guess Which K&R Song I Heard On The Radio?

• Yesterday Once More

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Hurting Each Other

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Desperado

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slow Dance

• All You Get From Love Is A Love Song

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Those Good Old Dreams

• Druscilla Penny

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I heard a K&R song on the radio at Shoney's Friday Morning. I heard it on a top 40 radio station so I was really surprised. I have never heard a Carpenters song on the radio before (except Merry Christmas Darling)!

I want you to guess which song it was and then I will tell you the answer later.

That was the first time you ever heard a Carpenters song on the radio besides the Christmas ones? That is sad to hear. Those darn radio stations! :freak:

I'm glad you finally heard one. :)

I voted for "All You Get from Love ...", because it's one of three Top 40 hits on the list, and the one of the three I'D personally be most surprised to hear on Top 40 radio, since, unlike "Yesterday Once More" and "Hurting Each Other," I've NEVER heard "ALYGFL" played on the radio. (Also, I just really like the song! :D )

Jeff F.

Well, believe it or not, I picked "Drusella Penny". I don't know why of all Carpenter songs, it would be that one.

Guess, I could have picked something more logical like "Sing", eh? :tongue: But you said that this was the first time you heard a Carpenter's song on this station. It just goes to show what happens "instinctively". :laugh:

Dave

I picked "Hurting Each Other". From my experience it's one of the more radio-friendly tunes on your list.

Harry

I guessed "Yesterday Once More", as it's the only one on your list that I've actually heard on the radio in recent years.

Well, had "Close To You" been on the list, I really would have picked that. That and "We've Only Just Begun" are their Signature tunes. Which is where "Hurting Each Other" and "Yesterday Once More" also rank; I've got "Hurting", "Yesterday" and "We've Only" on '45's, and listen to "For All We Know", too.

It was simply a toss-up, so, yes, I guess that's why I went with an "unrealistic" one--"Drusella Penny". :laugh:

Dave

*drumroll*

Harry was right, it was Hurting Each Other.

I also e-mailed the radio station and asked them if they had any C's music in their database.

I knew Harry would get it right as he is in radio. I myself would have picked "Yesterday Once More." I think it's become one of the official Carpenters Anthems, along with Close to You and We've Only Just Begun.

Still on the topic of C's music on the radio...

I was in Quezon City, Philippines, on April 10...and while in a fast food restaurant, they had the radio on the in house PA system...and guess what? The deejay played "Calling Your Name Again" by Richard C from his 1987 "Time" album. I thought - how cool is that!

:D

calvin

ANDREW-I'm not surprised that this is the first time you've heard K&R on the radio.Up here in New York,hearing K&R on the radio is a rare thing.The only metro station that plays K&R is a jazz/standards station(which also plays Sinatra,Ella,Nat Cole,Stan Getz,etc.)Even the "Lite-FM" type stations stopped playing Karen(they concentrate more on Celine Dion,Mariah Carey,Whitney Houston,etc.)For the record,I used to hear "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song" quite a bit back in the 80's on an easy-listening station.

Well, what album do you think the Carpenters' song played came from? Was it the version from A SONG FOR YOU or did someone have a 20TH CENTURY MASTERS handy? :o

Maybe you can call the station and make a request for MORE Carpenters songs to be played. :wink:

Dave

It was the original mix so it had to come from the A Song For You album but that doesn't mean they have the whole album. The radio station that I heard this song from receives it music via sattelite by a main database, so they probably don't have A Song For You.

For the record I asked the radio station music manager for more Carpenters songs and he said that he nor the radio station has no control over what songs are on the playlist. He said that whatever the national radio network sends them, they play.

I haven't listened to the "Sunny" channel, but "70's on 7" probably plays more Carpenters than broadcast radio. After all, they were the XM station that had the 11 hour Carpenters marathon.

raz42289 said:
For the record I asked the radio station music manager for more Carpenters songs and he said that he nor the radio station has no control over what songs are on the playlist. He said that whatever the national radio network sends them, they play.

THIS is another reason why I usually don't listen to the radio (use it only to catch the traffic report before leaving work) Gone are the days when you could call up a radio station asking to play your favorite song. I remember in my younger days, hearing the latest Olivia song & asking them to play it, not only did they play it with in the hour sometimes they would use your voice on the radio literally asking for the request. I miss those days.

Today, it seems like the above is true, these poor DJ's have NO control over what is played, there like robots playing the latest Britney Spears or whatever.

So I play mostly CD's, my kind of music. These stations today just don't know good music today, even the easy listening stations don't play enough of the Carpenters.

Congratulations Andrew! But do me a small courtesy and notify when you'll be motoring.

Just kidding kiddo! From reading your posts it's clearly obvious that you're intelligent and a bright person. I have no question that you'll ace this test.

Good luck,

Jeff

I actually heard "For All We Know" piped over the speakers at a Lowe's (home improvement center) I was at this afternoon. Wasn't local radio, but probably one of those "Muzak" services via satellite.

This topic seems to be a sad indication of where USA radio / music plays
now reside :sad:

Perhaps because we are much smaller geographically and still have National Public Broadcasting Networks ....UK still plays many Carpenters classics and surprise, surprise recent / new tracks as well :shock:

Recently have heard And When He Smiles , Nowhere Man , California Dreaming, You're Just In Love and more surprisingly Karen / Ella medley on various UK National and London radio stations :cool:

Peter

I am happy to hear the Carpenters got some air time
on a real FM station!!! I live in the Miami Ft. Lauderdale
area and I don't really expect to hear anything as
sophisticated as the Carpenters on top 40! There to
busy trying to out Rap each other.
What I don't understand is why the udult contemporary
stations predelect not to take advantage of such exquisite
music?! My guess is that most stations are sindicated and
the music is chosen by some bone head execs for the entire
year and then just played over and over across the country.
I found out about Akiko back in 88?, when I hear How Could
I Ask For More on an FM station in Hagerstown MD. It really
took me buy surprise, because I was unaware at the time
of Akiko but I knew it was a Richard product, so I called the
station and ordered the CD!
I have also heard music from TIME played on a few department
store systems.
Sorry I missed out on the vote. I would have guessed Drucilla
PennyLOL!!!

Rambaling online JIM

coolvox said:
I have also heard music from TIME played on a few department store systems.

You know, it's funny, I think I hear far, far more A&M music as background music in department stores and discount stores than on REGULAR radio ... I hear a TON of Carpenters, of course (usually the later stuff) ... a lot of Sergio's '83-'85 stuff as background music (for not being a Top 40 hit, I hear "Real Life" a lot!), a TON of Pablo Cruise (actually, I don't think I was ever in a Drug Emporium when a Pablo Cruise song DIDN'T eventually come on the store radio at some point!), a TON of Herb's '80s stuff ("Kamali," I hear a lot for some reason) ... I even hear the most obscure A&M stuff as background music ... David Batteau ... Gary Taylor ("Just Gets Better with Time") (how random is THAT????) ... It's funny just how obscure some of the A&M stuff I hear in stores is! Every now and then when I get a boxed lot of 45s and there's some A&M promos in there I haven't heard of before, I'll play them and immediately recognize it as something I've heard in a department store or discount store before! :tongue:

Jeff F.
NP: Department store music! :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom