• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Happy Birthday, Nick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicfirst

Every December, amongst the flurry of paper, ribbon, tape, envelopes, and cards, I stop all the Christmas activities to remember someone. This year I guess I was a bit more caught up in the flurry than I thought!! Yesterday was Nick Ceroli's birthday. He would have been 64, relatively young by today's standards.

There are people who are blessed from birth with gifts. Some choose to abandon them and never share them. Some choose to use them selfishly and never share them. There are those in the unique group who choose to use their gifts and share them with all of us. Nick was in this group of unique people. His gifts of time, rhythm, and joy of music have been recorded so many times with artists like Bob Florence, Dudley Moore, Mundell Lowe, and, of course, the Tijuana Brass. For those of us who listen to his music, his performances were pure grace. For those of us who have met him, his unassuming manner and gift of humor were refreshing in a world where attitudes could overshadow talents rapidly.

Birthdays are celebrations. I celebrate Nick's birthday not with the usual fare of cake, ice cream, and party hat but with a smile and a silent thanks that he was allowed to share a space on this earth with us if only for a brief time. It was time of swing, brass. and always music.

Gracias por todos, Nick. Feliz cumpleanos!

DJ
:jester:

Nick Ceroli...often copied, but NEVER duplicated. I read somewhere that Nick didn't need umpteen pieces in a drum set to get the sound he needed or wanted. He could get those sounds out of that modest set(s) (2 of them he had as I read) of Camco Drums but knowing just the right spot to hit them. I learned to play amateur drums by listening and watching Nick. Those of us who love him, know that Nick was ahead of his time. Look at all of the DW drums now played...and to think it all started him tweaking the Camco sound. I have in my home video collection, 2 vhs tapes of Nick playing with the Ray Anthony orchestra/band. I bought them just so I could see and have these performances of Nick. It's just about the only video of him that I have of any length to show his brilliance. Each, and everytime I watch them, I am amazed with his ease, style, and playing ability. IMHO, Nick Ceroli is the drummer by which all other drummers are measured. When Nick plays, I listen! God blessed us with a musical treasure.

Happy Birthday Nick.

Tom :)

I know I've told this story on the forum but I'll make it brief. I was working at a hotel here in Phoenix (where I live) in the early 80's, and the Harry James big band was performing one night for a "big" dance. (I had a chance to hang with Mr. James for about an hour) :D I walked through the kitchen and stood next to the drummer and was listening enjoying his playing. When they took a break I started talking to him and it was Nick Ceroli. He didn't have his mustash at the time. What can I say...a nice guy. He should have lived to be 120. Merry Christmas amigos...........Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom