• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb Alpert "Beyond" CD - I think I've got a fake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty, since I'm not up on all the CD-burning tactics and the like, if somebody like that were honest and said outright that what they had created was a replica of the original, I'd likely be willing to pay somewhat close to standard price for a CD for such a copy, but that's just me, and I wouldn't do it for a guy like this who obviously is willing to lie to make a few bucks. It's not that I wouldn't want the royalty going into Alpert's pocket, I would, but he doesn't seem too concerned about making an official reissue of this or many other of his solo albums at the moment.

if somebody like that were honest and said outright that what they had created was a replica of the original,
That's the problem, though... someone like this is doing something that is illegal, against the law, and a crime. On top of that it's wrong. Therefore even if he was honest about it, it's still against "decency" to buy his illegal product from him.

The only way it would be "decent" is if the guy truly doesn't know he's selling bogus goods. But if the BUYER knows it's bogus, then he's the one in the wrong.

Herb may have personal or financial reasons for not releasing certain albums. Besides, there could be a big announcement about future releases tomorrow. We just don't know.

If I was to put on my music-biz predicting cap, which has served me fairly well in the past, I would guess that a few new releases (maybe the long-rumored FANDANGO) might show up around the time his new CD and/or DVD project comes out...supposedly later this year. But we just don't know.

Another thing to keep in mind is, this counterfeit operation is probably not just producing Herb Alpert fakes. The relative quality of the bogus recordings indicates a sophisticated operation. Other recording artists are likely being defrauded.

This particular seller had listed a large amount of CDs yesterday, including yet another Herb Alpert BEYOND.

Following complaints to eBay from me, most of these listings, including BEYOND have been removed. Not that that will totally solve the problem. People like this will just get another email address, sign up for a new eBay account and strike again.

The best course of action as always is buyer beware. If a deal seems too good and too convenient, it probably is.

My dispute with the seller is in PayPal's hands. If I ever see the money again, fine. If not, that's fine too. I've got the satisfaction of being right.

Harry

Final resolution: I win! My funds have been returned. Thanks to Steve S. for the photos which proved my point.

Harry

Here's some perspective. Back in the 1983-1986 era, CD Players were expensive purchases as well as the discs. Until 1985, the main CD manufacturing plants were in West Germany and Japan. All discs were imported regardless of packaging. A CD then was an $18-$25 purchase. Many Japanese and European licensees issued material which saw limited release only and then went out of print. Beyond is a prime example. Therefore, counterfeiters stepped in to fill the demand for this rarity on CD. FWIW, I got my first CD player in 1983 and selections were very limited and pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom