• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb Alpert & Lani Hall at Lincoln Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Two of the most prestigious live music venues in New York City are Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center. Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass played Carnegie Hall in 1966. Sunday night, Herb was back to play New York. This time, the group was smaller and so was the venue. Herb Alpert and Lani Hall performed with their band (Bill Cantos, Hussain Jiffry and Michael Shapiro) for the American Songbook Series at the Allen Room, Frederick P. Rose Hall, Lincoln Center. This is a most intimate venue, with a stage "backdrop" of floor to ceiling windows providing a spectacular view of Columbus Circle and the city.

While the "visuals" were something special, what we heard were clearly "super sonics." Playing a mix of tunes from their Anything Goes and the recently released I Feel You CDs, Herb and Lani both, never sounded better. Having been to their shows since the first outing at Herb's Vibrato a few years back, I have to say that they keep getting better and better. Herb's playing is clear and strong - in fact, he even played without amplification a couple times and easily filled the venue with his beautiful horn sound. Lani is just fantastic. From her tongue-twisting take on "Para-Raio" to her deeply emotional ballads, she is just a wonder to behold.

Herb explained that the basic structure of each tune has been set, then he and the band follow and surround Lani. Each night the song is slightly different, as the musicians are free to play as they will. And play they did! I don't think that Herb & Lani could have found a better band anywhere. All three are accomplished musicians.

For this show, we were seated to the right and had a better opportunity to watch Michael Shapiro work. He is simply amazing! Hussain Jiffry not only plays his bass with great vigor, but he smiles ALL the time! We have been fans of Bill Cantos for some time, in fact, I first met him years back, when he was on tour with Sergio. It's quite clear that they are all having a lot of fun playing for Herb & Lani and appreciate so very much the opportunity to perform together with them. A guilty pleasure for me is to watch the glances and exchanges between them as they play. With the free-form style of play, Herb also smiles a lot when he hears each band member come up with a new and slightly different way to play each night.

Set List:
Besame Mucho
Para-Raio
Moondance
Fever
Viola Fora De Moda
Medley: Rise, The Lonely Bull, Tijuana Taxi, A Taste Of Honey
Let's Face The Music And Dance
Morning Coffee
I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face
Blackbird
'Til There Was You
That Old Black Magic / Anything Goes
I've Got You Under My Skin
Laura
Encore
Jobim Medly - Agua De Beber, Corcovado, One Note Samba / Spanish Flea
What Now My Love
Night And Day

To wrap up, here's some "inside baseball" info. Jerry Moss was in the audience. A fan asked about Lani's back-catalog - Herb said that her first two albums are being digitized for an expected next year release. Some of their tour schedule was adjusted, so that Hussain and Michael could play some dates for Sergio Mendes. Bill Cantos is hoping that his new CD will be released next summer. There are some potential tunes for bonus tracks on the Japanese release, but not definite. Oh, almost forgot - they were doing something on Monday at Sirius XM Radio - don't know if they were playing or just doing an interview.

lincoln01.jpg

lincoln02.jpg

lincoln03.jpg

lincoln04.jpg

lincoln05.jpg

lincoln06.jpg

Backstage At Lincoln Center
H_amp_L2011NYC_014__DSC0407b.jpg

(L to R: Steve Sidoruk, Herb Alpert, Stephen Vakil, Andrea Sidoruk & Lani Hall)

Thanks for the set list and program scans Steve.

Wonder why they decided to drop "Cast Your Fate To the Wind" and "Call Me"?

"Call Me" was just magical I thought live at Vibrato on the 13th.

Perhaps Mr Cantos can shed some more light on the matter.
CYFTTW is easily is a fan favorite from the new CD here at The Corner and it was on the set list 2 Sunday's ago at Vibrato. So they obviously have worked it up.

CherryStreet said:
Wonder why they decided to drop "Cast Your Fate To the Wind" and "Call Me"? "Call Me" was just magical I thought live at Vibrato on the 13th.

Back stage in Boston, Stephen asked Lani that very question about "Call Me." As I recall, the answer was that it slowed the pace of the show and a change was made.

Hi Steve,

Sounds like you had a wonderful time at the Lincoln Centre concert! You mentioned that Jerry Moss was there, as well. Do you iknow if Jerry saw Herb & Lani backstage after the concert? And did anyone get a picture of the two of them? And finally was Jerry's wife there as well? Sorry for all the questions but I'm just curious to know.

Shere

Jazz Fan said:
You mentioned that Jerry Moss was there, as well. Do you iknow if Jerry saw Herb & Lani backstage after the concert? And did anyone get a picture of the two of them? And finally was Jerry's wife there as well? Sorry for all the questions but I'm just curious to know.

Shere

Saw Jerry go backstage - don't think his wife was there. He apparently left before we got back, as I never saw him again.

CherryStreet said:

That and Something Cool are two of my favourite tracks on the album. I haven't given up hope of hearing it live at Vibrato one day!

Stephen

Steve Sidoruk said:
Herb and Lani both, never sounded better.

Steve is right - that was another great concert.

When Herb was taking questions from the floor, I should have asked why he wasn't using the gemini trumpet which he had for the Anything Goes tour.

Thanks for the great pics too!

Stephen

Stephen Vakil said:
CherryStreet said:

That and Something Cool are two of my favourite tracks on the album. I haven't given up hope of hearing it live at Vibrato one day!

Stephen

Be careful what you wish for......:cool:

I actually wondered about the dual valve trumpet as well when I was at the Lincoln Center show. And it seemed to me that he had a different kind of mute (he always seemed to be unsure it was securely fit). Mind you, I know nothing about trumpets technologically - just love the sound...

I soooo wanted to go to the concert,but as you know,we've been having bad weather up here in NY, and I didn't know what type of weather we would be having that day,so I waited to see what would happen.Plus, if any of you remember,Herb and Lani was supposed to do a concert two years ago at the very same Lincoln Center venue that they played last Sunday,but they cancelled at the last minute.

So I waited...but I waited a bit too long, and when I was ready to buy tickets for the concert,it was sold out.But for Steve and the rest who attended the concert, I'm glad that you had a great time,and let's hope that Herb and Lani come back to NY soon(hopefully at BB King's)so that we ALL can see them play.

Steve-accept my sympathy on the passing of your father,and may God grant you and your family comfort in this time of sadness.
Til next time,
jazzdre

That's a great photo of the Sidoruks, Alpert, Vakil, & Ms.Hall. And what I noticed was Mr. Alpert's smile. He seemed to really enjoy the company. Wish I could of have there... Peace amigos........................J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom