Lani Hall - I Don't Want You To Go

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
"I Don't Want You To Go" by Lani Hall hails originally from the BLUSH album and was released as a single in 1980. For some reason, it's showing up in a lot of YouTube appearances, some under the "Lani Hall-Topic" name and put there by Universal something or other. This one just weeks ago:

I don't know why, unless somewhere in the world it's been used in a movie or TV show. Though BLUSH hasn't been released digitally, the song appeared on CLASSICS VOL. 19. Meanwhile, there was another mix of the song that was available on the COLLECTIBLES album and CD. This second version "adapted by Herb Alpert" omits the opening brass figure and goes right to the piano intro. Lani's vocal take is a different one from the BLUSH version. I don't know whether she re-recorded the track for COLLECTIBLES or whether Herb simply found a different take that he liked.

The remix is sped up by something like 1.265%. I applied that slowdown so I could compare the two versions in sync, and the vocals are clearly different in some of the phrasings. Meanwhile, at around the 3:00 or so mark, the BLUSH version has an instrumental interlude with an oboe in the lead. The COLLECTIBLES version substitutes an electric guitar figure instead.

That's our report from the YouTube rabbit hole...

I still love this song even 40 years after I first heard it Today it has a special meaning to me thank you for sharing this

Back
Top Bottom