• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

HERB ALPERT: MUSIC FOR YOUR EYES - ON SUNDANCE CHANNEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
HERB ALPERT: MUSIC FOR YOUR EYES
SUNDANCE CHANNEL

Monday 10.06.2003
4:00PM

Wednesday 10.08.2003
11:30AM

Thursday 10.09.2003
4:30AM

Monday 10.20.2003
9:35AM

Thursday 10.30.2003
4:00PM

Herb Alpert: Music for your Eyes
directed by Tom Neff
YEAR
26 MINS, Color

Herb Alpert, who played with the Tijuana Brass on five number one instrumental hits during the 1960s, has spent the past 20 years primarily expressing himself as an abstract painter and figurative sculptor. This documentary, directed by Tom Neff, presents a wide selection of Alpert's colorful artwork, brought together for a major exhibition at the Tennessee State Museum during the summer of 2001. Alpert himself co-composed and performs the music heard on the soundtrack. TVG

I'm lucky enough to have seen this.

It' really worth catching if you can. Yes the music's great - including some excellent muted improvisation which left me wondering why HA doesn't just go ahead and release an album. The music spans - I guess - around 15 years and ownedrs of TVBOHA will recognise Ode to the Sun.

But those who hven't seen the art might be intrigued to hear about the connections between the art and the music. As one commentator says "Herb wants you to look at the paintings with your ears" and "Herb's art doesn't aspire to the condition of music; it presumes the condition of music".

There's a wide selection of his art on view. The beginning of the video is exciting with Herb placing large sweeping brush strokes on a blank canvas in time to bursts on hte trumpet. We also see him developing a large sculpture.

Stephen

I called the local cable company...indeed, The Sundance Channel is available, we just didn't know it.

You see, since we moved into the new house, we've had nothing but problems with the new cable service. First they installed the box incorrectly -- it was programmed wrong. Then, the kid who was supposed to install connections to the individual bedrooms handed me a large loop if cable, an instruction booklet and some hardware and said, "Let us know if you have any problems..." "What am I supposed to do with this?" I asked. "Install it!" replied the smart aleck. :mad:

Needless to say, I was on the telephone in a heartbeat. Turns out this kid was on his last assignment of the day and wanted to go home -- hardly my problem. They had a new installer out the next day to complete what the smart aleck had not.

Then, the other day my Mother said, "Do you realize we have HBO, Cinemax and Encore?" "How did you figure that out?" I asked. "I hit the wrong button in trying to change channels. I stumbled on them by mistake, called the cable company and they said we'd always had them..."

Long story short (too late), we also have The Sundance Channel.

Who knew? :tongue:

Jon

...ready to go back to the old days of a rooftop antenna, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom