• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Herb & Lani in Brookfield, Wisconsin -- 'SRO'

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
A full house, with limited standing room only tickets, was on hand tonight when Herb Alpert & Lani Hall performed at the Sharon Lynn Wilson Performing Arts Center in Brookfield, Wisconsin.

Brookfield is west of Milwaukee, and the entertainment complex is deep in the woods, with only a small sign on the main road to give directions. The Center holds around 1,200 and is rustic and classy at the same time. Herb expressed admiration for the large fireplace in the lobby.

Arriving an hour before show time, I approached the box office to find no seats available, but SRO tickets were available for $20. As there was ample space in the aisle near the front of the stage, this proved to be the best seat in the house.

Standing in the hallway was a man in a dark suit wearing tennis shoes with long gray hair. I recognized Herb immediately, introduced myself and told him of my long fanship and association with the Corner. He signed several LPs and CD sleeves I 'just happened to have' and posed for a couple of photos.

I did not get to speak to Lani, but her assistant graciously took some albums backstage for her to sign. Maybe I can meet her next time.

The show consisted of two 9-song sets divided by a 20-minute intermission. Onstage with the pair were Michael Shapiro (percussion), Bill Cantos (keyboards/vocals) and Hussain Jiffry (bass). Herb enjoyed playing conductor when the supporting players did solos.

SET ONE

Fascinating Rhythm -- Herb played muted horn
Para Raio
Besame Mucho -- uptempo with extended piano solo
That Old Black Magic
Dinorah

Paper Moon -- featured Herb's double-bell trumpet; one bell with a mute, and the other open

Let's Face the Music and Dance -- a Great Depression era standard
Morning Coffee -- composed by the pianist
I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face -- Herb sang, the played a riff from "This Guy's In Love With You" on the trumpet.

During intermission tracks from Wes Montgomery's A&M albums were broadcast in the theater. This was a nice tribute.

SECOND SET

Berimbau --- Lani on vocals; Herb with muted horn
Anything Goes --- the intro sounded a lot like Boyce & Hart's "In the Night"

A Taste of Honey-- done MIDNIGHT SUN style; Herb told how this was the "b" side of "Third Man Theme" but was the more popular of the two.

O Pato
I've Got You Under My Skin
Laura

(first encore) Jobim Medley: "Agua de Beber"/ "Quiet Nights"/ Triste/ One Note Samba - Spanish Flea

(second encore) Night And Day with a riff from "What Now My Love" at the end.

Herb told of fond memories of past visits to Milwaukee, including the TJB playing the State Fair and getting to meet Coach Vince Lombardi.

The venue is named after Sharon Lynn Wilson (1943-95), a community leader who died of breast cancer. Her husband donated over $1 million to its development.

I owe a great debt of gratitude to the ushers and box office staff, who made my SRO seat and getting to meet Herb possible. Without them, and Google Maps' Street Finder, I never would have found my way.

My being in the area is a happy coincidence. I've been at the Univ. of Chicago helping my daughter move into her dorm.

After a long day of lifting furniture and an invigorating swim in Lake Michigan at the 31st Street Beach, I hit the 50-cent toll road (I-94) for Milwaukee around 5 p.m. After some sight-seeing downtown, I had time to grab a Subway and find the venue before dark.

JB
Alpert1.jpg

Hall1.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

Thanks. I'm still in Naperville, where I spent last night. Heavy traffic made me late, so the show was in progress when I got here. From what I could tell the set was essentially the same as in Brookfield.

As the other post said, there were questions and answers, along with shouted requests for vintage tunes. Several wanted to hear "Come Down in Time!" (from Lani's SUNDOWN LADY) and cheered when Herb announced plans for that album's reissue.

Herb "had me going" for a minute when he gave an extensive talk about "Tell it To the Birds," which was successful enough to foot the cost of recording "The Lonely Bull." I thought he was going to sing "Tell it ..." but instead launched into a number from the new album.

There was a VIP meet-and-greet in the basement after the show. I did not get in but instead waited by the limos for a short time. Happily, this netted me the photo opp with Lani I had missed in Brookfield.

I also made sure to have the 3 band members sign my "ANYTHING GOES" sleeve, as I'm confident they've got a great musical future. Bill Cantos is quite a songwriter, as well as pianist. The others looked like they were having a ball while playing flawlessly.

Today I'm off to explore the city, maybe pick up stuff at the dorm my daughter wants to sent home, and head south sometime Tuesday.

This trip has already been the highlight of my year.

JB

Great photos. Lani looks like she's found the Fountain of Youth!

Harry

Jim, what does your t-shirt say in the first picture? I can make out the first line, but that's all...

Dan

"Traveling at 33 RPM in an Ipod World." Christmas present from the kids last year. Another way to say 'I'm getting old' -- but I consider the shirt a good luck charm now.

Just added two more photos to the original post:

The Wilson Center in Brookfield, WI; and

Hussain Jiffry (electric bass) in Naperville, IL.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom