• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb on "Midnight Special"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
Back on June 20, 1975, Herb was hosting "The Midnight Special" which had The Captain & Tennille who performed "Love Will Keep Us Together" (which went to # 1 in the first week & would spend 3 more weeks at # 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Charts) & also performed "Cuddle Up". Singer Phoebe Snow performed "Poetry Man," as well as "Harpo's Blues". The group Supertramp performed "Bloody Well Right," & "Hide In Your Shell". Singer Billy Preston performed the song "Song Of Joy" (which was also done by The Captain & Tennille). Finally, Herb performed "Coney Island," (opening & closing) "Carmine," "Never Never Land," "Desert Dance," & a medley of "The Lonely Bull," "Spanish Flea," "This Guy's In Love With You," "Taste Of Honey," & "Zorba The Greek". Who watched that show back then? Did VH1 carried the rerun of that show back around 1996 or 1997? The song called "Coney Island" reminds me of the NBC's "TV's Bloopers & Practical Jokes" theme song (which was hosted by Dick Clark & Ed McMahon). Matthew Clark Sanford, Michigan

Unfortunately, VH-1 never aired this show when it did its "Midnight Special" run. I was hoping for this or the "Best Of" show that the MS did in 1976 (and repeated a few times afterwards) that featured the TJB medley and "Desert Dance". The TJB medley was part of another show and has been on video on eBay from time to time. Just another thing we all wish would come out. :confused:

Capt. Bacardi

Just found this "Midnight Special" listed on the website "TV Tome." Boy, what I wouldn't give to have this episode!

150. Host: Wolfman Jack (3rd Anniversary Show, Part 1)
gs: Herb Alpert (Guest) Glen Campbell (Guest) George Carlin (Guest) Elton John (Himself, tribute) Gladys Knight and the Pips (Guests) Gladys Knight (Herself) Randy Newman (Guest) The O'Jays (Guests) Linda Ronstadt (Guest) Frankie Valli (Guest)

Third Anniversary Show
--Wolfman Jack (host)

--Herb Alpert (from 20-Jun-75) - "Desert Dance" and a medley of hits ("Lonely Bull," "Spanish Flea," "This Guy's in Love with You," "Taste of Honey" and "Zorba the Greek")
--Glen Campbell - "Rhinestone Cowboy"
--George Carlin (stand-up comedy)
--Gladys Knight and the Pips - "Midnight Train to Georgia" & "I've Got to Use My Imagination"
--Randy Newman - "All His Love"
--The O'Jays - "Put Your Hands Together" and a medley ("People Keep Telling Me," "Time to Get Down," "This Air I Breathe," "992 Arguments" and "Backstabbers")
--Linda Ronstadt - "When Will I Be Loved"
--Frankie Valli - "My Eyes Adored You" and a medley of hits ("Sherry," "Walk Like a Man," "Big Girls Don't Cry" and "Bye Bye Baby")
--Salute to Elton John

b: 13-Feb-1976

Don't forget there was also a tribute to Herb on one episode in 1978. He talked a bit about his career, and it included some old footage, including his "performance" of "Summertime" with Lani. He also talked a bit about hooking up with Hugh Masekela.

Capt. Bacardi
...back at it with a new computer - online, of course... :D

I was sure I heard the TJB playing "Love Will Keep Us Together" on the radio one time, maybe in the late seventies. Was there possibly a DJ only 45 RPM release that had some air-play just before Herb broke up the re-formed Brass?

I was right about "Can You Dig It" by BMB. It took 30 years to find it. Maybe I'm right again?

bob knack said:
I was sure I heard the TJB playing "Love Will Keep Us Together" on the radio one time, maybe in the late seventies. Was there possibly a DJ only 45 RPM release that had some air-play just before Herb broke up the re-formed Brass?

I was right about "Can You Dig It" by BMB. It took 30 years to find it. Maybe I'm right again?

If there is, it would really be a find...we've talked here before about some tunes that the reformed group may have recorded for a third album...THE WHISTLE SONG and THE ME IN YOU are a couple of examples that WERE released...but the discography doesn't list anything else, to my knowledge...if anything like what you mentioned was recorded, it was never available commercially; not to my knowledge, anyway...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom