Herb records in the movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Last year, I mentioned that two of Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass' tracks appeared in the movie MATCHSTICK MEN with Nicholas Cage. That movie is out on DVD now, so I did a couple of video captures where the A&M LPs are viewed spinning on the character's Technics turntable.

First up is a transition shot from one scene to another while "The Lonely Bull" is playing. The turntable and album are only in sharp focus while the transition is taking place, and as the turntable scene is firmly established, the focus moves away from the turntable while the camera is panning to the right. Thus, this picture is rather blurry, but the familiar A&M ochre-colored label can be identified, and the stylus is clearly on track one:

matchaandm.jpg

The second shot is clearer, and it occurs as Nicholas Cage's daughter, curious about her mysterious dad, familiarizes herself with what's in his home. She's seen looking through his record collection, and we hear "Tijuana Taxi" playing as this close-up appears:

matchaandm2.jpg

On this one, we can clearly read the silver & tan label and identify the album as GREATEST HITS (must be a re-issue!). One can also notice that the stylus is nearing the end of track 3, which would have been "South Of The Border", yet it's "Tijuana Taxi" that we're hearing.

Both tracks are contained on the MATCHSTICK MEN soundtrack CD - "..Taxi" isn't the dropout-laden version from DEFINITIVE HITS, either.

I thought some of us A&M fans would find these interesting.

Harry
NP: MATCHSTICK MEN DVD

That second LP reminds me of my silver/tan Whipped Cream and Going Places that I bought new back in the early 80's.

But ICK! That turntable on the second one almost looks like one of those cheap plastic Technics contraptions with the P-mount cartridge. Surprised there's not a small curl of plastic spiraling up behind the stylus on that one. :wink: Now, if it had been a Rega P3 or Music Hall MMF9, I might have been a little more impressed... :laugh: :wink:

Captain Bacardi said:
At least the vinyl looks clean. :wink:

Probably fresh out of the Salivation Army store! :D I doubt they own a VPI record vacuum and a set of Disc Doctor brushes. :wink:

Rudy said:
Captain Bacardi said:
At least the vinyl looks clean. :wink:

Probably fresh out of the Salivation Army store! :D I doubt they own a VPI record vacuum and a set of Disc Doctor brushes. :wink:

But the character in the movie probably does! If you've seen the film, you'd understand.

Harry
...not giving anything away, online...

Caught up with Matchstick Men last year and enjoyed the musical selections -including Alpert's tracks in this film :)

Any extras on DVD release ?

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom