• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb Survives A Scare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone has some memory of this but...It seems I read years ago that when Mr. Alpert was recording "Fandango" in Mexico City, there was a fire in the hotel he was staying in and he got out in time with nothing but his trumpet that he had used for the "Lonely Bull" recording. Does anyone remember that story? Later...........Jay

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
Maybe someone has some memory of this but...It seems I read years ago that when Mr. Alpert was recording "Fandango" in Mexico City, there was a fire in the hotel he was staying in and he got out in time with nothing but his trumpet that he had used for the "Lonely Bull" recording. Does anyone remember that story? Later...........Jay

There was a similar story during the 60's that Herb mentioned when he was on the "What's My Line?" game show. They were just starting a tour in Chicago when a fire broke out, but one of the stage hands - Pete Mancini - saved the TJB's equipment. At first they were told that everything was under 4 feet of water, but Mancini saved their gear. I never heard of the Mexico City story.

Capt. Bacardi

DAN BOLTON said:
Since nobody else has had the gall to say it, I will...I wonder if Herb the dog has Spanish Fleas?

Dan
Herb the dog has Spanish fleas, but they can be cured by some Love Potion No. 9 and a taste of honey.

Well, Herb the dog wouldn't have spanish fleas if he hadn't stayed at some "flea bag" motel with Miss Frenchy Brown. Now, Lady Godiva would have been A Beautiful Friend and would have taken Herb for A Walk In The Black Forest. But now, Herb sheds A Quiet Tear every time he has to scratch. With all this stress, he might even wind up with Montezuma's Revenge. Oh well, I'm sure life will be Sunny again for him soon.

David,
having a pun time....online

This helps explain why there's so much passion in the songs:

South of the Border Collie
Walk, Don't Run
Maim (it was a Rottweiller, after all)
Wade in the Water
Flea Bag
The Incontintental
Fox Hunt
Lobo
Cat Man Do

David

thetijuanataxi said:
Well, Herb the dog wouldn't have spanish fleas if he hadn't stayed at some "flea bag" motel with Miss Frenchy Brown. Now, Lady Godiva would have been A Beautiful Friend and would have taken Herb for A Walk In The Black Forest. But now, Herb sheds A Quiet Tear every time he has to scratch. With all this stress, he might even wind up with Montezuma's Revenge. Oh well, I'm sure life will be Sunny again for him soon.

David,
having a pun time....online

I wonder if MONTEZUMA'S REVENGE causes THE WINDS OF BARCELONA...

Dan

Ok... Just don't start thinking about word-smithing your doggy stuff with "Mexican Corn" and "Slick"... or You'll have to "Talk With The Animals" to find a listener.

Hopefully, Herb doesn't bite... :nauga: Otherwise...Bow Wow! ...He'll rank as a "Lonely Pit Bull"...! :D

Dave :laugh:

It was 1967, if I remember. Our huge lakefront convention center, McCormick Place, burned to the ground. The concert was over as the fire happened overnight.

I do remember that Herb's instruments were moved out before the fire as this was a Sunday and the TJB Chicago appearances had finished.

I was very depressed because I wanted to go but didn't as I heard the band the previous year at the same place. It was uncertain if The Brass would come back to Chicago. I heard them one more time, but I had to go to the Wisconsin State Fair to do it.

PS: I'm glad they saved Herb from death row...that's a terrible label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom