• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Herb's "Beyond" CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the fake and my digital copy would digitally be the same, so....neh, I'll pass. :D

If I didn't have a "copy" already I probably would have taken a fake. Saves me doing a needle drop for the music server. :wink:

The sound of the two Japanese issues (D32Y series and D18Y series) are identical. The only difference was the original price that was charged for the CD in Japan. The D32Y originally cost 3200 Yen, and the D18Y was the "priced-down" reissue at 1800 Yen.

Harry

Looks like Matt's copy is the bootleg CDR ("Mae" by Canyon Records).

Sorry, just for sure: so all the Japan copies of Beyond ("Mae by Canyon Records") are bootleg CD-Rs made by a CD burner?
I am just asking because some years ago I bought the same one at eBay and I thought it was a genuine copy all the time.
Visually it does not look as a burned CD-R counterfeit at all, but I trust you on your expertise.

Peter
... hoping all those problems will disappear on the very day when Shout Factory will release the remastered Beyond.

Peter, it may very well be that some foreign factory was used to actually "press" these BEYOND counterfeits. As stated earlier in the thread, the disc plays and sounds exactly like the real thing. If the music is all that's important to you, then the fake will do fine, but don't expect to ever recoup whatever investment you made to get it in the first place.

It's like my "Rolex" watch. It's fake - it looks good - it tells the time - but it's not real.

Harry

I think the problem with the counterfeits is that those who buy them aren't even interested in the disc being a collectible--they just want a copy of the music, and have no way of knowing if the item is a counterfeit.

If you want to see true counterfeits, look up Mobile Fidelity Beatles CDs. The packaging looks very convincing, but each and every one of them are fakes. The only thing Mobile Fidelity did was a viny box set decades ago.

Harry and Rudy, thank you very much, pals.
I bought that copy mostly for active listening, not primarily for collecting purposes, yet, at the same time, I am happy to have every title that Herb Alpert released on CD under his name or TJB's - all the Shout Factory re-releases, some old A&M discs from 1980s and 1990s, Beyond to Midnight Sun, plus everything Almo (except for the compilations), few official downloads from Master's site and few needle drops of the titles that made it neither to CD nor to official download, yet.
Of course, I had absolutely no idea that my Beyond copy was a counterfeit. Anyway, since I downloaded the remastered one from Herb Alpert's website, I have been mostly listening to this (although I'd prefer lossless instead of lossy, but that subject already made an other thread at this forum).
Have a nice day!

I'll admit mine is a digital copy of the Japan CD. But I use it primarily to have it on my music server today. This gives me the ability to play it on any system in the house. Given a choice in my main system during "prime" listening time though, it's the vinyl for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom